theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Tried to make a buildings claim

Tried to make a buildings claim

Author
Christopher Stacey
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Hi,

If you haven't already done so, I'd suggest looking at the detailed guide on our website - see www.unlock.org.uk/userfiles/file/unlockinginsurance/UNLOCKInsuranceGuideDetailed.pdf - there is a section about making a claim.

Normally, there is no requirement to disclose changes during a policy, but it's always worth just taking a look at your policy.

However, I'm assuming that you took the policy out before April? If so, you were bound by the law of 'disclosing material facts', and it seems like, from what you suggest, the case with your husband has been going on a while? If that's the case, the insurer could argue that you were in a position of having a 'pending prosecution', which they could argue was a material fact.

As always, it depends very much on the amount of the claim, and whether the insurer wishes to take such a legalistic approach. I wouldn't worry too much at this stage, but I would encourage you to have a conversation with them about it.

In terms of getting any new insurance, so long as your husband is covered by the policy, there's no way of getting around the need to disclose, as you're normally asked about 'anybody normally residing in the household'.

Need Unlocks advice? Visit our self-help information site or contact our helpline
Christopher Stacey
Christopher Stacey
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)

Have you proceeded with your claim?

Need Unlocks advice? Visit our self-help information site or contact our helpline
Veryworried
Veryworried
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (1.3K reputation)Supreme Being (1.3K reputation)Supreme Being (1.3K reputation)Supreme Being (1.3K reputation)Supreme Being (1.3K reputation)Supreme Being (1.3K reputation)Supreme Being (1.3K reputation)Supreme Being (1.3K reputation)Supreme Being (1.3K reputation)

As yet no as after getting a builder in the repair seems less compared to the excess so I don't think I'm going to pursue it.
Veryworried
Veryworried
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (1.3K reputation)Supreme Being (1.3K reputation)Supreme Being (1.3K reputation)Supreme Being (1.3K reputation)Supreme Being (1.3K reputation)Supreme Being (1.3K reputation)Supreme Being (1.3K reputation)Supreme Being (1.3K reputation)Supreme Being (1.3K reputation)

Thanks so much for replying. Yes I have since read that document I'm full. I spoke with the insurance company today who told me that my policy will stand until renewal but they won't renew my policy :-( I will be looking at that list again when it comes to renew time as they're already said regardless if the policy is in my name if he's living with me it's a risk.

Anyway thanks again :-)
Veryworried
Veryworried
Supreme Being

Hello

My husband received a criminal conviction last month for being in receipt of articles in the use of fraud. No sentence but community service. I've taken him off my car insurance as they wanted £500+ more than I already pay.

Anyway have a leak in bathroom and its pipes hidden in wall so builder required. Contacted buildings insurers who logged the claim and someone called me today. First question they ask after data protection etc is anyone with a criminal record. I told the truth that it was a yes, what it was for and the fact it was last month. I queried why I was having to disclose this as I thought it was only when I went to renew that I had to disclose. As it happens the repair in bathroom may well negate having to claim at all and I told them so and said I would be in touch when I spoke with the builder.

The question I have is can they 1 refuse to pay as I have not lied? 2. Can they cancel my policy? 3. If they cancel do they ave to give a portion of my premium back? 3. In November when I need insurance again can I just insure in my own name as I read that I would still come unstuck if I need to claim. mad

It's been an awful two years awaiting an outcome on the case and devastating for the family and I feel it just keeps on going. How can people ever move on if they can't work or pay. I never thought we would be in this position and its really made me rethink my prejudices.

Thanks for reading.
GO