theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

We might lose Human rights act soon

We might lose Human rights act soon

Author
Smiling Camel
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (2.6K reputation)Supreme Being (2.6K reputation)Supreme Being (2.6K reputation)Supreme Being (2.6K reputation)Supreme Being (2.6K reputation)Supreme Being (2.6K reputation)Supreme Being (2.6K reputation)Supreme Being (2.6K reputation)Supreme Being (2.6K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
I agree fully. There should be a national outrage if the Human Rights Act is being quashed in any way. Mr Cameron and his cronies are gradually creating a "Police State". I do believe in protecting the security of the country and safeguarding vulnerables but the potential intrusions and attitude to people with PNC records is really quite medieval as you have stated. Seems that people with PNC records are never really rehabilitated. It's a myth. I am of the opinion that even people with some more serious offences will not necessarily be a threat to society for the rest of their lives. There should be some "common sense" applied to individuals and risk assessment before certificates are issued by authorities. Why should there be any mention of these past mistakes if it is stopping people moving on. People are not permitted to forget their mistakes in the UK by the looks of things,as the "powers to be" want us to be permanently haunted. The possibility of changing things for the future is a real challenge because the media and authorities will always perceive people with a record as lessor mortals who do not deserve any rights. I guess if the 10+ million people supposedly with a record in the UK wrote a letter to number 10 or decided to march in front of Downing Street,some attention will be drawn to the issues. The problem of course is that many people are not happy to even indicate they have a record for fear of identification in public so we are forced to await the result of the few brave ones that have taken their plights in front of the High Court. Some hope here but I suspect it will be trodden down. I am sure I will go to my grave with my PNC record. Can't see myself surviving until 100.
BenS
BenS
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)

The Human Rights Act is nothing to do with the EU, as I stated. That is a fact.

There is of course a danger of the HRA being revoked. But if this happens, it is nothing to do with the EU, they are separate issues. Leaving the EU will have other ramifications for ex-offenders but the revocation of the HRA would not be one of them. The two topics are completely irrelevant from each other. Worry away about the HRA but it is an entirely separate issue from EU membership and one will not influence the other. We could lose the HRA tomorrow, that would be unrelated to the EU. Alternatively we could vote to remain in the EU and still lose the HRA.

For the HRA to be revoked, it would require a majority vote in the House of Commons.

The Tories have 330 seats.

Those who would most likely vote against revoking the HRA:

Labour (231)
SNP (54)
Lib Dems (8)
Plaid Cymru (3)
Greens (2)

I don't know anything about Northern Irish politics and what their parties' policies are. Their parties have a total 13 seats (excluding Sinn Féin who never vote as they refuse to swear the oath to the Queen).

There are also 3 independents who were formerly MPs of Labour and SNP, who left their parties for non-political reasons (personal scandals) rather than policy reasons, so we would expect these also to vote against revoking the HRA.

There are 5 other independents whose policies I don't know.

Also there are some mild Tories (such as David Davis, who has made a career out of campaigning for personal liberties and human rights - I don't understand why he is a Tory) who will be against revoking the HRA. They would at the very least abstain and if we're lucky, even vote against. Not all of the 330 Tories will vote to revoke the HRA.

So if it ever came to the vote and you do the maths, it will be close. It could end up being cancelled like Osborne's failed attempt to make sweeping benefit cuts a few months ago.

I'm not saying it won't happen but there are a lot of hoops to go through and we have hope that it might not happen.
Dalesguy15
Dalesguy15
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)

[In response to a post I recently made about possibly losing human rights act recently if we leave EU a member on here reassu me that it was not part of EU and comes from separate place
I have just had a petition by liberty sent to me asking me to sign it to protect us from tory plans to get rid of human rights act so Ben who reassured me on here we won't be affected please take note and go and check out liberty Web pages on human rights act and petition to stop us losing it
I knew I was right on my gut feeling from experience of years of erosion in uk from human rights to jobs going daily
Sadly not enough people do anything to protect ordinary people in uk and that's why we have this medieval criminal record system of keeping minor offences till 100 years of age
As let's be honest jo bloggs who stole a loaf when homeless at 22 years of age is still a potential threat to society even at age 80 if he lives that long 60 years on he still could be a threat!
So we will store his DNA and fingerprints till he is dead just in case
If enough people in uk millions with records had come together to say no we won't accept a discrimination system on minor criminal records for life
No we won't just take crumbs from the table which is what rehabilitation offenders act and filtering process is
Check liberty Web page on plans by government to remove human rights act
GO