theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Teaching English Abroad

Teaching English Abroad

Author
Foxtrot
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Big willy contest anyone?

Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

Being ignorant is not a problem as long as you are willing to learn.

Foxtrot
Foxtrot
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)

Q3 said...

1. I am not working on a building site, as a "security guard", and I certainly do earn more than the minimum wage thankfully.

2. My job title is "section leader" and whilst in the Military, I reached "Staff Sergeant", both examples of my "leadership qualities".

3. I have no control over the UK government. I do not vote for ANY political party. (That is my choice).

4. I have visited Thailand 3 time's on operational duties, I stayed in the Chiang Rai area on the Burmese Border (Golden Triangle Territory)

5. I have visited Bangkok, Khon Kaen, and Laos, I didn't go looking for smut...

6. Everywhere in the world has " Illegal Guns" however, Thailand has 6.2 million LEGAL gun licences, slightly different.

7. I personally would have no problem walking round any major UK city at night, however "Why would I want to " ?.

8. I choose to live in a semi-rural location because I feel safer and secure there. This is my choice.

9. We all know that there are Red Light Districts everywhere in the world, so thanks for that !.

10. I cannot name a country without a government ? - Unless its a Military State, WE are all governed by somebody, that's life ?
Y'know Q3, 2 months ago you were posting asking for self employment ideas, and about how worried you were that your offences were still all over the internet, and how this was affecting you. It's good to know that you've so rapidly put all that behind you and risen to 'section leader'. roll

Foxtrot
Foxtrot
Supreme Being

Q3 said...

And your point was ?

A lot of people research self-employment ideas ?

A lot of people are worried about their pasts on the net ?

You want to trawl through old postings, that's your choice, but stick to the forum posting or go elsewhere.

lol  Oh man.... like shooting fish in a barrel. lol

Foxtrot
Foxtrot
Supreme Being

Q3 said...

If the term " HAVE YOU BEEN CONVICTED OF ANY CRIME" crops up on an application form that anybody on here wants to fill out you in the future, think long and hard before you tick NO.
That is precisely what ROA/LASPO allows you to do. In circumstances where the post is not exempt, if your offence spent, the law allows you to lie on the form. If any DBS check (which technically they shouldn't be applying for) then comes back showing details of your record and a job offer is then withdrawn, you are in prime position to claim discrimination, if you can be bothered with the hassle.

Foxtrot
Foxtrot
Supreme Being

Interesting piece of news here. Not to do with TEFL, but as this is an active thread about disclosure:

https://www.bedfordshire-news.co.uk/News/Morrisons-slammed-for-snooping-on-job-applicants-20130818080000.htm

"CONCERNS are being raised about the privacy of staff at a new supermarket being invaded after background checks were carried out on all employees with no reason for doing so.

All of the 295 staff working at the new Morrisons, due to open in Ampthill Road, Bedford, tomorrow morning, have been checked by the company to find out not only about any criminal convictions, but also reprimands, warnings and cautions for minor offences which would be categorised as spent under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974.

Harmless though they may seem, privacy campaigners fear that the company is being overzealous with its checks by delving too deep into a person’s record by using an agency of the Scottish Government, Disclosure Scotland, even though they may only be stacking shelves.

In English law, the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS), formerly the Criminal Records Bureau (CRB), carries out checks on people who will be working with children or vulnerable adults or in situations where there is a high risk. Staff such as those working in the retail industry would not be eligible for such checks.

A spokeswoman for the DBS said: “The DBS does not provide a check that we can find or any kind of eligibility that a normal member of retail staff would have.”

Nick Pickles, director of privacy and civil liberties campaign group Big Brother Watch, said: “Background checks are there to protect vulnerable people and children and shouldn’t be used routinely like this. A piece of paper is no substitute for proper judgement by a manager and it’s exactly the same safety-by-database approach that has been wholly counterproductive in recent years.

“Parliament changed the law on this last year to expressly limit the use of these checks and it raises questions about what is going on when Morrisons is using the Scottish Government’s system to check on English staff, where there is no question about the role being one that could pose a safety risk.”

A generic application form for any position with a Morrisons store tells the applicant that if they take up employment it ‘may be necessary for security purposes for Morrisons to carry out a credit reference check on senior, night and duty management, all cash office employees, warehouse, petrol and pharmacy management, checkout management and security and central salaried personnel.’

The form says nothing about ordinary floor or till staff being checked or anything about their previous convictions.

Morrisons told Bedfordshire on Sunday that the reason they insist all staff be subjected to the checks is because their customers expect it and that it is important they understand the background of the people they employ.

A spokesman for the supermarket chain said: “We undertake background checks to ensure our stores are safe places to shop and work. All checks comply with the law and are carried out with the full knowledge and authorisation of all applicants.”

Foxtrot
Foxtrot
Supreme Being

Er... because you seem to think that intelligence on someone's past cannot be accessed unless done officially, that only the DBS have access to the PNC. You also seem to believe that there has been no instances of a CRB/DBS check being done without consent. You are aware of the recent story of the RSPCA having access to criminal records?

I know this is all new to you, but please give us a little credit. I don't proclaim to be a master criminal, but I have been in the CJS for 10 years now and can tell you some proper horror stories of abuse of confidentiality and trust.

Foxtrot
Foxtrot
Supreme Being

To really scare you, other organisations that have access to the PNC include HMRC, DWP, DVLA, The Charity Commission, and even Royal Mail. The most frightening is that beacon of competence G4S has access. shocked

Foxtrot
Foxtrot
Supreme Being

RichardH said...

Foxtrot said...
Er... because you seem to think that intelligence on someone's past cannot be accessed unless done officially, that only the DBS have access to the PNC. You also seem to believe that there has been no instances of a CRB/DBS check being done without consent.

No, I don't think these things.

I have never said these things.

I have never stated these things on here.

I have never implied these things.

I have never believed these things.

You're just reading into my posts beliefs and opinions that aren't there.

RichardH said...
Yes, that is the whole point of the ROA and that is what it does. No-one can find your unspent convictions on the PNC unless it is a role for which a DBS check is permitted, and even then only if you agree to the check. So there is no breach of data protection or privacy.

Accessing the PNC does not require a DBS to be linked to that search. Methinks you are tying yourself up in knots.

Foxtrot
Foxtrot
Supreme Being

RichardH said...

Foxtrot said...
To really scare you, other organisations that have access to the PNC include HMRC, DWP, DVLA, The Charity Commission, and even Royal Mail. The most frightening is that beacon of competence G4S has access.

Does everyone in these organisations have that access? Even the tea boys? What about the office juniors? And that busty lass on work experience...does she have access too?

A rather glib and desperate comment, but who knows? G4S in particular do not have the greatest record in competence.

Foxtrot
Foxtrot
Supreme Being

The PNC and DBS are different things. The PNC can be accessed by any copper, even over their radios. The copper doesn't even need to be bent, as many no doubt believe they can access it at whim. A spent conviction does not 'drop off' the PNC, although there has of course been some past instances of stepping down, and of course the proposed 'filtering' gumph.

GO