theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

I have my life back

I have my life back

Author
Debbie Sadler
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
What a fantastic story BlueAngel - just goes to show you that there are people out there who are prepared to look beyond a one off mistake.

Wishing you much happiness and continued success.

Need Unlock's advice? Visit our self-help information site or contact our helpline

Need Unlocks advice? Visit our self-help information site or contact our helpline
nathan
nathan
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (1.9K reputation)Supreme Being (1.9K reputation)Supreme Being (1.9K reputation)Supreme Being (1.9K reputation)Supreme Being (1.9K reputation)Supreme Being (1.9K reputation)Supreme Being (1.9K reputation)Supreme Being (1.9K reputation)Supreme Being (1.9K reputation)

Congratulations Blue Angel!
BlueAngel
BlueAngel
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)

I was a victim of serious domestic abuse which led to my conviction. I had never done anything wrong in my life, and have never done so since.

I was a highly regarded professional who did something completely out of character due to threats to my life and the lives of my children. I was convicted because I went to the police and told them what I had done. I could not live with it on my conscience.

I told my employers the day that I was charged and also informed my professional governing body. I was allowed to remain in my senior position for a further 16 months until my conviction.

My then manager flawed my disciplinary and I was dismissed. I was then suspended for a year by my governing body. This could have been worse but they took the mitigation of abuse into consideration.

Following my reinstatement a year later, I applied for three positions. I was honest and up front with each application. I was offered all three jobs. I took the job that was better than the job I was dismissed from and have excelled in my career. My line manager who interviewed me believed in me and saw through the conviction.

In fact, a few weeks ago she turned to me and said that she was so glad she employed me as I have brought a beautiful personality to the department. I cried as the stigma of a conviction can cut so deeply.

Honesty has always been to my credit. That is what got me the three job offers. I have my life back.

I count myself so lucky to have been given the chance to prove myself again. Hang in there...all is not lost
tellyon
tellyon
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (1.7K reputation)Supreme Being (1.7K reputation)Supreme Being (1.7K reputation)Supreme Being (1.7K reputation)Supreme Being (1.7K reputation)Supreme Being (1.7K reputation)Supreme Being (1.7K reputation)Supreme Being (1.7K reputation)Supreme Being (1.7K reputation)

That's a great story. Sometimes the lowest points in life can also be turning points.
GO