theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Financial organisation

Financial organisation

Author
Square
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Jooles - 1 Feb 18 1:27 PM
AB2014 - 1 Feb 18 12:26 PM
Jooles - 1 Feb 18 10:31 AM
BenS - 1 Feb 18 8:13 AM
Jooles - 31 Jan 18 8:02 PM

Hi, 
I' hoping someone can help me. I've been offered a job to work in a bank call centre but have to do criminal record checks. Just wondering if anyone works in a bank or have any idea what level of checks they do? I have a conviction from quite a few years ago and on the application it asks for all spent and unspent convictions. I will just be answering calls in regard to customer queries but really worried my conviction will show up 

Thank you 

It seems surprising that a job in a call centre (regardless of in what sector) would require anything beyond a basic check (i.e. that would only show unspent convictions). Is your conviction spent? Hopefully someone on here can advise, it sounds like any deeper check would be disproportionate.

Thank you for replying. Yes it's spent around 12 years. I have been worried as the question asks for both spent and unspent under ROA. I'm not 100% sure they are allowed to ask that but I don' want to apply incase it is a standard check and it's not been filtered off. It was a 12 month conditional discharge 

Hi Jooles, I would expect a call centre job to be a basic check. Just because they are asking about spent and unspent convictions doesn't mean they have to be told about them - that's what the record check is for, and they only have a right to know what is shown on that check. That doesn't stop them trying it on and requesting a standard DBS check, so it's worth paying close attention to the form they get you to sign. Unlock has some information about it on their website here and here. As for your conviction, if it is eligible for filtering, that would be done after 11 years, if the offence is eligible. Again, Unlock has some information on their website here and they have more detailed information here if you need it. If it is filtered, then you'd have nothing to fear from a standard DBS check.

Thank you do much for your reply. I'm the form it says I have to have a crb check but doesn' state which one. I'm worried that they will do a standard and find out as its not something I would want to be public knowledge. I have worked for this call centre for quite a few years on a different campaign and been asked to do these checks before but it wasn't for the bank. I also think it is only one conviction i cant remember as it was that long ago and the judge was quite nice and told me Id never have to worry about it so never thought anymore of it. It' just now it' for a bank call centre I'm not sure if I'll need to be an fca approved person and if so they will do standard checks. I'e spent weeks worrying about this and have put off putting in the form as I'm terrified someone will find out but I have to go to a meetin
g about it tomorrow so just wanted some reassurance that it would only be basic. Thank you 

In terms of the check - don't worry. They will apply for the check, and prior to them receiving the certificate you will receive a copy. If you feel that there are things on the certificate that they don't need to know you can challenge it. If you are unsuccessful in challenging you can always remove your application.

I, like others, would be surprised if they wanted any more than a basic check.
Jooles
Jooles
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)

AB2014 - 1 Feb 18 12:26 PM

Hi, 
I' hoping someone can help me. I've been offered a job to work in a bank call centre but have to do criminal record checks. Just wondering if anyone works in a bank or have any idea what level of checks they do? I have a conviction from quite a few years ago and on the application it asks for all spent and unspent convictions. I will just be answering calls in regard to customer queries but really worried my conviction will show up 

Thank you 

It seems surprising that a job in a call centre (regardless of in what sector) would require anything beyond a basic check (i.e. that would only show unspent convictions). Is your conviction spent? Hopefully someone on here can advise, it sounds like any deeper check would be disproportionate.

Thank you for replying. Yes it's spent around 12 years. I have been worried as the question asks for both spent and unspent under ROA. I'm not 100% sure they are allowed to ask that but I don' want to apply incase it is a standard check and it's not been filtered off. It was a 12 month conditional discharge 

Hi Jooles, I would expect a call centre job to be a basic check. Just because they are asking about spent and unspent convictions doesn't mean they have to be told about them - that's what the record check is for, and they only have a right to know what is shown on that check. That doesn't stop them trying it on and requesting a standard DBS check, so it's worth paying close attention to the form they get you to sign. Unlock has some information about it on their website here and here. As for your conviction, if it is eligible for filtering, that would be done after 11 years, if the offence is eligible. Again, Unlock has some information on their website here and they have more detailed information here if you need it. If it is filtered, then you'd have nothing to fear from a standard DBS check.

Thank you do much for your reply. I'm the form it says I have to have a crb check but doesn' state which one. I'm worried that they will do a standard and find out as its not something I would want to be public knowledge. I have worked for this call centre for quite a few years on a different campaign and been asked to do these checks before but it wasn't for the bank. I also think it is only one conviction i cant remember as it was that long ago and the judge was quite nice and told me Id never have to worry about it so never thought anymore of it. It' just now it' for a bank call centre I'm not sure if I'll need to be an fca approved person and if so they will do standard checks. I'e spent weeks worrying about this and have put off putting in the form as I'm terrified someone will find out but I have to go to a meetin
g about it tomorrow so just wanted some reassurance that it would only be basic. Thank you 
AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)

Hi, 

Thank you 

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

Jooles
Jooles
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)

Hi, 

Thank you 

BenS
BenS
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (79K reputation)Supreme Being (79K reputation)Supreme Being (79K reputation)Supreme Being (79K reputation)Supreme Being (79K reputation)Supreme Being (79K reputation)Supreme Being (79K reputation)Supreme Being (79K reputation)Supreme Being (79K reputation)

Hi, 

Thank you 

Jooles
Jooles
Supreme Being

Hi, 

Thank you 
Square
Square
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)

Thanks all. Didn't get the job Sad
Still... it is all good experience.
Yankee
Yankee
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)

Square - 5 Jan 18 9:14 PM
Thanks for the reply Yankee,

The Job is 'back office' (non-financial) and the job description states that a credit check & DBS is applicable. If they request anything beyond a basic check I will challenge it with Disclosure Scotland.
I hate how you just cant escape the conviction (see my numerous other posts - but mines was seriously unjust), even though you do everything right. I don't think a day has ever gone past that it hasn't made me feel like crap one way or another!

You will be fine with a back office role - good luck.
Once your conviction is spent - like yours - life gets much, much easier. Only the Google effect to worry about if there was adverse publicity at the time.
AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)

Square - 5 Jan 18 9:14 PM

The Job is 'back office' (non-financial) and the job description states that a credit check & DBS is applicable. If they request anything beyond a basic check I will challenge it with Disclosure Scotland.
I hate how you just cant escape the conviction (see my numerous other posts - but mines was seriously unjust), even though you do everything right. I don't think a day has ever gone past that it hasn't made me feel like crap one way or another!

All criminal record checks in England and Wales are now being done by the DBS, so don't go to Disclosure Scotland unless you actually live in Scotland. It's worth using the DBS's own eligibility tool here to see what level of check is allowed. According to them, unless you are a licenced financial professional, you should have a basic check.

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

Square
Square
Supreme Being

GO