theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Does Gibraltar count as abroad?

Does Gibraltar count as abroad?

Author
BenS
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (79K reputation)Supreme Being (79K reputation)Supreme Being (79K reputation)Supreme Being (79K reputation)Supreme Being (79K reputation)Supreme Being (79K reputation)Supreme Being (79K reputation)Supreme Being (79K reputation)Supreme Being (79K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
If travelling to Gibraltar, directly by air from London, does this count as foreign travel for SOR purposes?

It would be a 3-day trip and I would not be entering Spain. So if it counted as within the UK, I would not normally need to notify due to it being less than a week. Though if it counts as abroad, of course I'd have no problem notifying.
AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)

BenS - 18 Jan 18 7:55 AM
If travelling to Gibraltar, directly by air from London, does this count as foreign travel for SOR purposes?

It would be a 3-day trip and I would not be entering Spain. So if it counted as within the UK, I would not normally need to notify due to it being less than a week. Though if it counts as abroad, of course I'd have no problem notifying.

According to Unlock's information here on travelling abroad on licence, the UK is "England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. The Channel Islands includes Jersey and Guernsey. Added to the Isle of Man, these represent three Crown Dependencies." I realise it's not the same law, but they seem to be relying on an accepted definition of the UK. I suppose the best advice would be to ask the police, as they enforce SOR restrictions.

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

BenS
BenS
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (79K reputation)Supreme Being (79K reputation)Supreme Being (79K reputation)Supreme Being (79K reputation)Supreme Being (79K reputation)Supreme Being (79K reputation)Supreme Being (79K reputation)Supreme Being (79K reputation)Supreme Being (79K reputation)

AB2014 - 18 Jan 18 10:25 AM

According to Unlock's information here on travelling abroad on licence, the UK is "England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. The Channel Islands includes Jersey and Guernsey. Added to the Isle of Man, these represent three Crown Dependencies." I realise it's not the same law, but they seem to be relying on an accepted definition of the UK. I suppose the best advice would be to ask the police, as they enforce SOR restrictions.

Thank you for the info!
Yankee
Yankee
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)

Gibraltar is a British Overseas Territory (like Bermuda, the Falklands etc.) and is not part of the UK.  You will have to notify as the Act refers to all travel outside the United Kingdom.
As an aside, legally according to the Act you would have to notify trips to the Channel Islands and the IOM (which are crown dependencies and not part of the UK) - however, flights and ferries are classed as domestic and there are no immigration controls - I don't know what the PPU do in that case, but I always work on the basis that it's better to notify even if you didn't have to than find out later on you should have and give the PPU a reason to cause trouble.
BenS
BenS
Supreme Being

Yankee - 19 Jan 18 11:27 AM

Gibraltar is a British Overseas Territory (like Bermuda, the Falklands etc.) and is not part of the UK.  You will have to notify as the Act refers to all travel outside the United Kingdom.
As an aside, legally according to the Act you would have to notify trips to the Channel Islands and the IOM (which are crown dependencies and not part of the UK) - however, flights and ferries are classed as domestic and there are no immigration controls - I don't know what the PPU do in that case, but I always work on the basis that it's better to notify even if you didn't have to than find out later on you should have and give the PPU a reason to cause trouble.

That's useful, thank you, and I agree with not giving them any reason to accuse you of being difficult and giving them a reason to refuse to get the order revoked in future.
GO