theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

A definitive FAQ would be most welcome

A definitive FAQ would be most welcome

Author
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Harmless - 18 Sep 18 1:18 PM
AB2014 - 18 Sep 18 12:34 PM
Harmless - 18 Sep 18 12:13 PM
Monkos - 28 Aug 18 1:28 PM
I'm looking here and on Unlock's site for answers to various questions, and only finding half answers and false assumptions on many things. It would be good to have solid, definitive answers, reviewed by experts and backed up by consistent confirmations of real life experiences, as it seems to be the blind leading the blind and ultimately a lot of bad advice being given out here. There are also very few users it seems, probably because of that.

The law is applied inconsistently by courts, lawyers and police, even though the very point of it is to be fair and equal. The difficulty in finding good quality information about different people's experiences allows such abuse to take place. It would be much better if one could go to your PPU for example and say "500 other people had their SOPOs discharged after 5 years this year so mine should be as well" instead of them each applying the rules however they see fit.

While the forum also is very hierarchically structured, that makes it harder for information to be in one place, and instead the good information is mixed up with the bad information.

P.S. sorry I should have put this in the feedback section but it helps make my point that it wasn't obvious to do so. Feel free to move it if that's possible for moderators.

Someone should author a detailed and clear FAQ about travel, complete with sources, as this topic is very un-researchable and polluted with nebulous assumptions and guesswork.

Well, I suppose if someone wanted to do that, they could look through the travel forum to see which questions are asked most often, then refer to the Unlock information here, research it using official sources, then find a way to publish it, either via Unlock or through some other means. I wouldn't expect Unlock to have any objections.

On you go then :-)

I didn't suggest the FAQ in the first place, and I don't fall into the category of people who want to do it. You'll need to find someone else do it. Of course, if you want it to happen.... Wink

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

Harmless
Harmless
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (20K reputation)Supreme Being (20K reputation)Supreme Being (20K reputation)Supreme Being (20K reputation)Supreme Being (20K reputation)Supreme Being (20K reputation)Supreme Being (20K reputation)Supreme Being (20K reputation)Supreme Being (20K reputation)

Harmless - 18 Sep 18 1:18 PM
I'm looking here and on Unlock's site for answers to various questions, and only finding half answers and false assumptions on many things. It would be good to have solid, definitive answers, reviewed by experts and backed up by consistent confirmations of real life experiences, as it seems to be the blind leading the blind and ultimately a lot of bad advice being given out here. There are also very few users it seems, probably because of that.

The law is applied inconsistently by courts, lawyers and police, even though the very point of it is to be fair and equal. The difficulty in finding good quality information about different people's experiences allows such abuse to take place. It would be much better if one could go to your PPU for example and say "500 other people had their SOPOs discharged after 5 years this year so mine should be as well" instead of them each applying the rules however they see fit.

While the forum also is very hierarchically structured, that makes it harder for information to be in one place, and instead the good information is mixed up with the bad information.

P.S. sorry I should have put this in the feedback section but it helps make my point that it wasn't obvious to do so. Feel free to move it if that's possible for moderators.

Someone should author a detailed and clear FAQ about travel, complete with sources, as this topic is very un-researchable and polluted with nebulous assumptions and guesswork.

Well, I suppose if someone wanted to do that, they could look through the travel forum to see which questions are asked most often, then refer to the Unlock information here, research it using official sources, then find a way to publish it, either via Unlock or through some other means. I wouldn't expect Unlock to have any objections.

My own posting history is a wealth of searching questions on travel.
Harmless
Harmless
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (20K reputation)Supreme Being (20K reputation)Supreme Being (20K reputation)Supreme Being (20K reputation)Supreme Being (20K reputation)Supreme Being (20K reputation)Supreme Being (20K reputation)Supreme Being (20K reputation)Supreme Being (20K reputation)

AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

Harmless
Harmless
Supreme Being

Yankee
Yankee
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)

I agree with AB2014 - if anyone has concerns about the accuracy on the Information Hub raise it with Unlock (they are very responsive) so they can research / update / correct as appropriate.

More importantly - as has been pointed out numerous times in threads on this forum - there is the letter of the law and there is the practical application of the law.  They aren't always the same and they aren't always consistent.

That is why this forum is so useful - it allows people to share their real life experiences of the criminal justice system.  As the reader, you have to decide yourself how much weight to put on comments and ask yourself what individual circumstances might apply to the person posting that impacted their experience. We all have different individual circumstances, just like each police force is different and each policeman/woman is different (throw in inconsistent legal advice as well into the mix....)
AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being

Monkos - 11 Sep 18 9:40 AM
AB2014 - 11 Sep 18 8:50 AM
Monkos - 7 Sep 18 8:41 PM
BenS - 7 Sep 18 10:40 AM
Another consideration regarding the information on the forum. Many of the regulars on here are convicted of sexual offences (unsurprising, as even a minor one-off community sentence for a sexual offence puts a lot more limitations on your daily life, until the day you die, than a long jail stretch for multiple counts of violence, theft, etc.

So due to the stigma of the sexual offences committed and the fact that people are often asking about entry to certain countries, getting out of a SOPO, ways around doing things, etc., a key priority is not to be identified by any law enforcement who may be browsing the forum. So with this guardedness, there may unfortunately be a few inaccuracies and inconsistencies, some of which are deliberate so as not to reveal your identity. This is understandable, IMO.

Yes very true and therefore a good reason for there to be a compiled, aggregated FAQ rather than the information being given in forums.

As others have already said, this forum is about people's experiences as reported by them, so it may not be the whole truth. If there is anything like an FAQ, it is Unlock's Information Hub. If anyone spots any inaccuracies in that, they can always tell Unlock. Regarding the accuracy of posts on this forum, maybe the best advice is "Don't automatically believe everything you read on the internet".

And the information hub is woefully incomplete, again, I made that point I think right at the start

Yes, and I made the point that if you spot inaccuracies, you can tell them so they can sort it out.

Monkos
Monkos
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)

AB2014 - 11 Sep 18 8:50 AM
Another consideration regarding the information on the forum. Many of the regulars on here are convicted of sexual offences (unsurprising, as even a minor one-off community sentence for a sexual offence puts a lot more limitations on your daily life, until the day you die, than a long jail stretch for multiple counts of violence, theft, etc.

So due to the stigma of the sexual offences committed and the fact that people are often asking about entry to certain countries, getting out of a SOPO, ways around doing things, etc., a key priority is not to be identified by any law enforcement who may be browsing the forum. So with this guardedness, there may unfortunately be a few inaccuracies and inconsistencies, some of which are deliberate so as not to reveal your identity. This is understandable, IMO.

Yes very true and therefore a good reason for there to be a compiled, aggregated FAQ rather than the information being given in forums.

As others have already said, this forum is about people's experiences as reported by them, so it may not be the whole truth. If there is anything like an FAQ, it is Unlock's Information Hub. If anyone spots any inaccuracies in that, they can always tell Unlock. Regarding the accuracy of posts on this forum, maybe the best advice is "Don't automatically believe everything you read on the internet".

And the information hub is woefully incomplete, again, I made that point I think right at the start
AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being

Monkos
Monkos
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)

GO