theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Has anyone successfully obtained a business bank account with a fraud conviction?

Has anyone successfully obtained a business bank account with a fraud...

Author
marcovanba
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (3.7K reputation)Supreme Being (3.7K reputation)Supreme Being (3.7K reputation)Supreme Being (3.7K reputation)Supreme Being (3.7K reputation)Supreme Being (3.7K reputation)Supreme Being (3.7K reputation)Supreme Being (3.7K reputation)Supreme Being (3.7K reputation)

Group: Forum Members

Hello everyone,

Long time lurker here Smile

I received a 2 yr suspended sentence in February 2015 for fraud. It related to offences in 2010 and took a long time to get to court. I actually received pretty favourable comments from the judge and was given no community service nor costs to pay due to the way I had been treated by the prosecution.

On the downside, I have a pretty unique name and my case was given media coverage.

As a result, I was struck off from my profession even though it was not related to my offence. (Different job) Still, fair enough and I accepted it.

I worked as a labourer for my father for a year or so, but we don't really see eye to eye, so that came to end.

With little options I spent my time learning about selling online and have set up 2 online stores since.

Now the issue is that the 2nd store has been pretty successful, in fact better than I could have imagined.

I have 2 personal bank accounts that I use to pay for supplies / taxes etc but this is not ideal. I try to use Paypal as much as I can to stop my personal accounts being flagged for business use to. (Paypal also charge me more too)

I really want to grow the business and a business account would help. I applied to my own bank for a business account around 18 months ago and was rejected with no reason given.

I'm now scared to apply again or with another bank as I don't want my name being flagged up, and ending up getting my personal accounts blocked too.

I know banks share information and I could well have been given a CIFAS marker. ( i think this lasts 6 years so maybe it will be OK after then, but 2 years is a long time to wait)

I think I have proven that I will not offend again (offence now 9 years ago) but I know banks are so risk adverse and my name just does not help. Also, I am now paying a significant amount of income tax and VAT.

I had considered speaking to my local MP but I just don't want to destroy what I have built up by drawing attention.

So, I'm sorry for the long winded post but does anyone have any advice at all? It would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)

marcovanba - 10 Jan 19 11:46 AM

Hello everyone,

I received a 2 yr suspended sentence in February 2015 for fraud. It related to offences in 2010 and took a long time to get to court. I actually received pretty favourable comments from the judge and was given no community service nor costs to pay due to the way I had been treated by the prosecution.

On the downside, I have a pretty unique name and my case was given media coverage.

As a result, I was struck off from my profession even though it was not related to my offence. (Different job) Still, fair enough and I accepted it.

I worked as a labourer for my father for a year or so, but we don't really see eye to eye, so that came to end.

With little options I spent my time learning about selling online and have set up 2 online stores since.

Now the issue is that the 2nd store has been pretty successful, in fact better than I could have imagined.

I have 2 personal bank accounts that I use to pay for supplies / taxes etc but this is not ideal. I try to use Paypal as much as I can to stop my personal accounts being flagged for business use to. (Paypal also charge me more too)

I really want to grow the business and a business account would help. I applied to my own bank for a business account around 18 months ago and was rejected with no reason given.

I'm now scared to apply again or with another bank as I don't want my name being flagged up, and ending up getting my personal accounts blocked too.

I know banks share information and I could well have been given a CIFAS marker. ( i think this lasts 6 years so maybe it will be OK after then, but 2 years is a long time to wait)

I think I have proven that I will not offend again (offence now 9 years ago) but I know banks are so risk adverse and my name just does not help. Also, I am now paying a significant amount of income tax and VAT.

I had considered speaking to my local MP but I just don't want to destroy what I have built up by drawing attention.

So, I'm sorry for the long winded post but does anyone have any advice at all? It would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Unlock has information about this on their website here. It might be that they have a different reason for not opening a business account for you. Even if it was because of Cifas, they wouldn't add extra information unless they thought your application for an account was fraudulent. You could always try discussing it with your bank, as they may have a different view 18 months after the first application, but at least you would know why they turned you down. If they won't tell you anything, you can make a subject access request to them under Freedom of Information, and they'd have to tell you anyway. You could also contact your local Chamber of Commerce, as they may be able to help you.

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

Hola
Hola
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)

AB2014 - 10 Jan 19 12:11 PM

Hello everyone,

Thank you.

Unlock has information about this on their website here. It might be that they have a different reason for not opening a business account for you. Even if it was because of Cifas, they wouldn't add extra information unless they thought your application for an account was fraudulent. You could always try discussing it with your bank, as they may have a different view 18 months after the first application, but at least you would know why they turned you down. If they won't tell you anything, you can make a subject access request to them under Freedom of Information, and they'd have to tell you anyway. You could also contact your local Chamber of Commerce, as they may be able to help you.
Also just set up as a sole trader and register for VAT maybe ?

marcovanba
marcovanba
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (3.7K reputation)Supreme Being (3.7K reputation)Supreme Being (3.7K reputation)Supreme Being (3.7K reputation)Supreme Being (3.7K reputation)Supreme Being (3.7K reputation)Supreme Being (3.7K reputation)Supreme Being (3.7K reputation)Supreme Being (3.7K reputation)

Hola - 10 Jan 19 9:48 PM

Hello everyone,

Thank you.

Thanks for the reply Supreme Being. I am already registered as a sole trader and registered for VAT

I think my only option is trying with my bank again, and if rejected approach my local MP.

I paid close to £100k in VAT last year which will increase significantly this year if I continue to grow.

Surely the Govt wouldn't want to lose that money lol
Outsourced
Outsourced
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)

marcovanba - 13 Jan 19 12:59 PM

Hello everyone,

Thank you.

Thanks for the reply Supreme Being. I am already registered as a sole trader and registered for VAT

I think my only option is trying with my bank again, and if rejected approach my local MP.

I paid close to £100k in VAT last year which will increase significantly this year if I continue to grow.

Surely they would. Remember that they say they want everyone off benefits but don't want to stop employment discrimination for those with convictions. 
Mr W
Mr W
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (37K reputation)Supreme Being (37K reputation)Supreme Being (37K reputation)Supreme Being (37K reputation)Supreme Being (37K reputation)Supreme Being (37K reputation)Supreme Being (37K reputation)Supreme Being (37K reputation)Supreme Being (37K reputation)

Hello everyone,

Thank you.

£100k in Vat? Congrats on your success, what do you do? Your expertise could be helpful for us on here trying to find our way...?

=====
Fighting or Accepting - its difficult to know which is right and when.
marcovanba
marcovanba
Supreme Being

Mr W - 15 Jan 19 1:37 PM

Hello everyone,

Thank you.

£100k in Vat? Congrats on your success, what do you do? Your expertise could be helpful for us on here trying to find our way...?

I run an ecommerce store mate, selling fitness related products.

It's great selling online, as I am basically invisible.

It has gone much better than expected and I have learned never to take anything for granted. I taught myself advertising etc and started small. Really small in fact. And just continued to grow it.

Sometimes things happen for a reason and my quality of life is pretty good just now. Of course there are still complications like a business bank account for example lol Also, the house I stay in my girlfriends name only is on the mortgage, as is our car. I don't really like to put my name to anything for the time being.

For my business I try to do as much as possible through Paypal. They don't have a problem with me and I don't have a problem with them. (Though they charge me more than perhaps if i had a business account)

I just can't wait for 2 years time when my conviction will become spent. I will feel a lot better then.
Yankee
Yankee
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)

marcovanba - 15 Jan 19 3:12 PM

Hello everyone,

Thank you.

It has gone much better than expected and I have learned never to take anything for granted. I taught myself advertising etc and started small. Really small in fact. And just continued to grow it.

Sometimes things happen for a reason and my quality of life is pretty good just now. Of course there are still complications like a business bank account for example lol Also, the house I stay in my girlfriends name only is on the mortgage, as is our car. I don't really like to put my name to anything for the time being.

For my business I try to do as much as possible through Paypal. They don't have a problem with me and I don't have a problem with them. (Though they charge me more than perhaps if i had a business account)

I just can't wait for 2 years time when my conviction will become spent. I will feel a lot better then.

Are you comfortable using mobile banking on a phone?

If so, open a personal account at somewhere like Starling Bank - really quick online signup. If your personal application is rejected, you will probably have confirmation that it is because of an entry on the CIFAS fraud database. Personal banking in the UK does not ask or check other criminal records (and only the private banks run an adverse media check).

Once you are a personal customer, you can then apply for their sole trader business account. Again, rejection would probably confirm an entry in the CIFAS database.

Debbie Sadler
Debbie Sadler
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)

Yankee - 23 Jan 19 10:03 PM
marcovanba - 15 Jan 19 3:12 PM

Hello everyone,

Thank you.

Are you comfortable using mobile banking on a phone?

If so, open a personal account at somewhere like Starling Bank - really quick online signup. If your personal application is rejected, you will probably have confirmation that it is because of an entry on the CIFAS fraud database. Personal banking in the UK does not ask or check other criminal records (and only the private banks run an adverse media check).

Once you are a personal customer, you can then apply for their sole trader business account. Again, rejection would probably confirm an entry in the CIFAS database.

Hi Yankee

Thanks for highlighting Starling Bank. Martin Lewis was talking about them on one of his recent programmes but it was more to do with travel money.  Pleased to hear that their signup is quick and by the look of it, they give reasons behind their rejections. I'll add some links to the information hub.

Monzo might also be worth having a look at.

Debs

Need Unlocks advice? Visit our self-help information site or contact our helpline
marcovanba
marcovanba
Supreme Being

Thanks for the replies all.

I have decided to stay "as is" for the time being.

With Paypal I should be able to maintain a comfortable level for the time being and hopefully in 2 years time when my conviction is spent I will be able to obtain a business account.
GO