theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

New and looking for information on driving instructing.

New and looking for information on driving instructing.

Author
TartanLass
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Hi, I’ve joined to find out if anyone with a previous conviction has ever became a driving instructor. I currently work as a dental nurse and have done for many years, however I had to disclose my conviction with my employer when the PVG check was introduced to dentistry. Now due the the PVG I’m finding it very difficult to find a new job, hoping for a career change but not sure what I can do. Have recently considered driving instructing but don’t want to pay for an expensive course to then discover I wouldn’t be accepted by the driving agency due to my past. My conviction will always show up on an enhanced disclosure as it’s an assault charge from 2002 which I recurved 240hrs community service. It’s the only time i was ever in trouble with the police but it has held me back a lot and I’m at the stage I feel I’m trapped in the same job for life. Any advice or similar situation stories would be appreciated!
Debbie Sadler
Debbie Sadler
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (133K reputation)Supreme Being (133K reputation)Supreme Being (133K reputation)Supreme Being (133K reputation)Supreme Being (133K reputation)Supreme Being (133K reputation)Supreme Being (133K reputation)Supreme Being (133K reputation)Supreme Being (133K reputation)

TartanLass - 15 Jul 19 3:29 PM
Hi, I’ve joined to find out if anyone with a previous conviction has ever became a driving instructor. I currently work as a dental nurse and have done for many years, however I had to disclose my conviction with my employer when the PVG check was introduced to dentistry. Now due the the PVG I’m finding it very difficult to find a new job, hoping for a career change but not sure what I can do. Have recently considered driving instructing but don’t want to pay for an expensive course to then discover I wouldn’t be accepted by the driving agency due to my past. My conviction will always show up on an enhanced disclosure as it’s an assault charge from 2002 which I recurved 240hrs community service. It’s the only time i was ever in trouble with the police but it has held me back a lot and I’m at the stage I feel I’m trapped in the same job for life. Any advice or similar situation stories would be appreciated!

Hi TartanLass

Welcome to the Unlock Forum.

I'm not sure whether you've seen our information on Becoming a driving instructor but you may find it helpful. Although our information states that you're less likely to be accepted if you have been 'convicted for offences involving assault, drugs,fraud or theft and in particular, offences involving theft of tuition fees', it's really important to remember that your conviction was 17 years ago and you've had a clean record since then. 

I understand your concerns about investing a considerable amount of time and money and then not being able to work in your chosen field and you're certainly doing the right thing by looking into this now. There is a 'checker' on the government website that you can use to find out whether you'd be able to become an Approved Driving Instructor and if I were you, I'd certainly start by using that. You could also have an informal chat with the DVSA.

Good luck. Let us know how you get on.

Debs

Need Unlocks advice? Visit our self-help information site or contact our helpline
AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (162K reputation)Supreme Being (162K reputation)Supreme Being (162K reputation)Supreme Being (162K reputation)Supreme Being (162K reputation)Supreme Being (162K reputation)Supreme Being (162K reputation)Supreme Being (162K reputation)Supreme Being (162K reputation)

Deb S - 16 Jul 19 8:22 AM
TartanLass - 15 Jul 19 3:29 PM

Hi TartanLass

Welcome to the Unlock Forum.

I'm not sure whether you've seen our information on Becoming a driving instructor but you may find it helpful. Although our information states that you're less likely to be accepted if you have been 'convicted for offences involving assault, drugs,fraud or theft and in particular, offences involving theft of tuition fees', it's really important to remember that your conviction was 17 years ago and you've had a clean record since then. 

I understand your concerns about investing a considerable amount of time and money and then not being able to work in your chosen field and you're certainly doing the right thing by looking into this now. There is a 'checker' on the government website that you can use to find out whether you'd be able to become an Approved Driving Instructor and if I were you, I'd certainly start by using that. You could also have an informal chat with the DVSA.

Good luck. Let us know how you get on.

Debs

Also, between having a PVG and using the name TartanLass, I'm guessing you're in Scotland, so the disclosure situation might be a bit different. SACRO might be able to advise you on that side of things as well.

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

TartanLass
TartanLass
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)

Thanks you, I’ve used the government checker but it asks for a number which you only receive once you are within a training scheme. So I would need to pay money to join and start the course. I will look into contacting the DVSA to see if it’s possible to have a chat. I shall keep you updated! It’s difficult as although my conviction was a longtime ago I prevent myself from attempting things as I feel nobody will accept my past. It’s something that has effected many decisions I’ve made since.
TartanLass
TartanLass
Supreme Being

I am in Scotland so will check out the charity mentioned.
TartanLass
TartanLass
Supreme Being

So just an update that I contacted SACRO and they suggested I contact unlock. They said they aren’t in a position to advise on spent convictions as it’s a complicated matter. Hopefully I will have some luck with the DVLA. If anyone else reads this and has further information or advice it would be appreciated!
AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (162K reputation)Supreme Being (162K reputation)Supreme Being (162K reputation)Supreme Being (162K reputation)Supreme Being (162K reputation)Supreme Being (162K reputation)Supreme Being (162K reputation)Supreme Being (162K reputation)Supreme Being (162K reputation)

TartanLass - 23 Jul 19 3:18 PM
So just an update that I contacted SACRO and they suggested I contact unlock. They said they aren’t in a position to advise on spent convictions as it’s a complicated matter. Hopefully I will have some luck with the DVLA. If anyone else reads this and has further information or advice it would be appreciated!

Well, if SACRO can't help you, the next port of call would be the DVSA, who maintain the Approved Driving Instructor Register. Even if they won't discuss your personal circumstances, they should be willing to talk in general terms and give you some general advice.

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

TartanLass
TartanLass
Supreme Being

Just an update that I’m presently no further forward so if anyone had anything to add please do!
AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being

TartanLass - 9 Aug 19 1:39 PM
Just an update that I’m presently no further forward so if anyone had anything to add please do!

Sorry to hear you're not making progress. I've just had a look through the government guidelines on becoming an Approved Driving Instructor. In Section 2.5, it does say there are circumstances where it's unlikely that applications to start the qualification process or registration would be accepted. If that affects your case, then if they think your offence is that bad, they won't let you start the process. In any case, that section also says that other factors will be taken into account, which would be your chance to make representations. Even though you would have an enhanced DBS check (or a PVG in Scotland), whether or not the conviction is spent would be taken into account, and your conviction would be spent in England & Wales, and is almost certainly spent in Scotland. As Debbie Sadler said earlier in this thread, this all happened 17 years ago and you've had a clean record since then. In fact, I'd say you've been a model citizen since then. You've worked hard, in a position of trust (think of the level of criminal record check...) and stayed out of trouble. You obviously needed a good level of training and performance to do that particular job, and if you have anything else in the "plus" column, such as family life or any community involvement, then put all that forward as well. Don't forget that you'll still have a criminal record check every four years for your renewal of registration, but after the initial registration you can just tell them the only thing that has changed is that your conviction was even longer ago.... BTW, is there an option to go to the Sheriff's court and have this removed from future checks? That could be helpful for future renewals, or even to avoid having to disclose in your current job.

TartanLass
TartanLass
Supreme Being

Hi, thanks for the reply! I’m going to speak with a driving instructor training school soon to see if I can apply before embarking on training. I’ve put it off for a few weeks, scared of disappointment, guess I just need to do it. I’m not sure about the sherif court thing, as far as I’m aware it will always remain on record despite being “spent”. It’s something I certainly will look into. It was a stupid mistake I made in my younger years and at 36 years of age I’m not going to make any mistakes like that again. I’ve got two kids, a job, a mortgage, a partner and way too much to lose to even consider breaking the law again. It’s something that’s held me back a lot in life as I’ve always felt so embarrassed by if that I don’t try to progress. Over the years I’ve worked a lot on myself, there were reasons that I did what I did, not that I what sympathy or trying to make excuses but I’ve worked on those issues and I’m now at peace with the past. I’m finally ready to try and move forward even if it means telling people about my conviction. Although it’s “spent” it never really is as I feel potential employers will always offer someone with no convictions a job before someone like me.
GO