theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Travelling to Canada

Travelling to Canada

Author
WatFc
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Hi all,

Apologies if this kind of topic isn't allowed here but I'm looking for some up to date advise for travelling to Canada with a UK police caution. My partner (who does not know about my caution) booked for us to go to Canada and also did our eTAs (ticking no to any arrest etc).

Has anyone had any recent experience with entering Canada with a caution? It's my understanding that the UK doesn't routinely share criminal records with other countries - only when a specific request is made.

Any advise would be appreciated, we're due to fly next month.

Thanks

AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)

WatFc - 2 Jul 19 10:23 AM
Hi all,

Apologies if this kind of topic isn't allowed here but I'm looking for some up to date advise for travelling to Canada with a UK police caution. My partner (who does not know about my caution) booked for us to go to Canada and also did our eTAs (ticking no to any arrest etc).

Has anyone had any recent experience with entering Canada with a caution? It's my understanding that the UK doesn't routinely share criminal records with other countries - only when a specific request is made.

Thanks

It is true that no countries have access to our criminal records system, which is why they have to ask the question in the first place. Now that the eTA application has been made, you can either contact the Canadian High Commission and tell them, or carry on as if you didn't have the caution. I'm guessing that you aren't a threat to national security and your caution wasn't collected to money laundering, organised crime, and so on, so they won't find out about unless you tell them. It would only become an issue if you think you will need a visa for Canada in the future, for work, study or residence, as your travel will be recorded against your name, so they will have your disclosure history available if you ever apply for a visa. If you never apply for a visa, it won't be an issue.

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

WatFc
WatFc
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)

AB2014 - 2 Jul 19 12:01 PM
WatFc - 2 Jul 19 10:23 AM
Hi all,

Thanks

It is true that no countries have access to our criminal records system, which is why they have to ask the question in the first place. Now that the eTA application has been made, you can either contact the Canadian High Commission and tell them, or carry on as if you didn't have the caution. I'm guessing that you aren't a threat to national security and your caution wasn't collected to money laundering, organised crime, and so on, so they won't find out about unless you tell them. It would only become an issue if you think you will need a visa for Canada in the future, for work, study or residence, as your travel will be recorded against your name, so they will have your disclosure history available if you ever apply for a visa. If you never apply for a visa, it won't be an issue.

Thanks for the reply, yep my caution was for nothing like that. I'm thinking that I'll just go and take the risk.

I have been to the US a couple of times since getting the caution with no issues - the difference here is that I felt I was answering the ESTA question honestly whereas with the eTA they ask for any arrest etc (and I didn't do my application myself). 

I have no plans to move to Canada so that won't be an issue.

Thanks for your help

BenS
BenS
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (79K reputation)Supreme Being (79K reputation)Supreme Being (79K reputation)Supreme Being (79K reputation)Supreme Being (79K reputation)Supreme Being (79K reputation)Supreme Being (79K reputation)Supreme Being (79K reputation)Supreme Being (79K reputation)

I went to Canada last year with far more than a caution.

I ticked "no" on the form and got through no problem. They weren't even stamping people's passports anymore. You did all the immigration and customs stuff on a self-service computer kiosk, then it printed out a piece of paper the size of a shop receipt. Went up to a old-school wooden desk with two smiley officers, they took the piece of paper and waved everyone through without even looking at their passports.

You will be fine.
qwerty123
qwerty123
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (653 reputation)Supreme Being (653 reputation)Supreme Being (653 reputation)Supreme Being (653 reputation)Supreme Being (653 reputation)Supreme Being (653 reputation)Supreme Being (653 reputation)Supreme Being (653 reputation)Supreme Being (653 reputation)

Hi there. How did your travel to Canada go? Any issues or was all ok? Where in Canada are you going?

BenS so I take it you answered no too on the ETA. Where did you go?

Thank you for helping guys!
Tags
WatFc
WatFc
Supreme Being

qwerty123 - 27 Jul 19 11:04 AM
Hi there. How did your travel to Canada go? Any issues or was all ok? Where in Canada are you going?

BenS so I take it you answered no too on the ETA. Where did you go?

Thank you for helping guys!

Hey,
I haven't been yet, I'm going in a couple of weeks. I'll update here when I get back. I'm flying to Toronto.

Cheers
qwerty123
qwerty123
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (653 reputation)Supreme Being (653 reputation)Supreme Being (653 reputation)Supreme Being (653 reputation)Supreme Being (653 reputation)Supreme Being (653 reputation)Supreme Being (653 reputation)Supreme Being (653 reputation)Supreme Being (653 reputation)

That would be brilliant thank you.

That’s where I’m flying in to too so would be good to hear your experience as seems like we have the same issue with our partners sorting the holiday!
WatFc
WatFc
Supreme Being

qwerty123 - 29 Jul 19 7:16 PM
That would be brilliant thank you. That’s where I’m flying in to too so would be good to hear your experience as seems like we have the same issue with our partners sorting the holiday!

Hey,

Here's my update on how I got on! So we went to Toronto via JFK where we had a short layover. I was nervous going through US customs (though I have been through a few times having ticked no on the ESTA every time) and we got through with no questions asked.

When we landed in Toronto it was exactly as Ben said above, you do your declarations on a self service kiosk and then just hand your receipt to a border agent who barely looks at your passport and waves you through!

We've had a great time in Canada, I definitely wouldn't be worried about getting through customs, you'll be fine just keep your cool and maybe have a drink on the plane to calm any nerves!

Cheers
qwerty123
qwerty123
Supreme Being

That’s brilliant thanks for the update.

Is the kiosk for all flights or just those coming from the US? What sort of questions do you have to answer?

Sorry for the questions but your post has reassured me a lot now and I’m looking forward to my holiday in a couple of months time.
WatFc
WatFc
Supreme Being

qwerty123 - 17 Aug 19 1:45 PM
That’s brilliant thanks for the update. Is the kiosk for all flights or just those coming from the US? What sort of questions do you have to answer? Sorry for the questions but your post has reassured me a lot now and I’m looking forward to my holiday in a couple of months time.

No problem!

I think the kiosks are for all flights, I'm not sure if they have them in all terminals at Pearson though, we flew in to Terminal 3. The questions at the kiosk were just declaration questions (are you bringing in fruit, have you been to a farm recently etc) so you can honestly answer them.

Glad I could reassure you! Feel free to ask any other questions you have.

Cheers
GO