theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Google De listing

Google De listing

Author
J J
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
khafka - 5 Jul 20 7:21 PM
Was - 5 Jul 20 6:24 PM
My advice would be unless you have an extremely unique name

Sadly for me, this is true. Although neither my christian name and surname are obscure, the combination is. I have never found anyone else online with it with a Google or Bing search. 

Of course the police advice was to change it. Yeah, because that doesn't mark you out as suspicious.🙄 

I'm in the same boat.

I did contemplate changing it. I have done, slightly and nothing shows up on Google using my "new" name. It's my birth name which I shortened in average life prior to this. So it helps somewhat.

The issue with changing it is there's still the risk of you showing up in the media if you have a court review for example as it'll show on the court roll your previous name and the paper/media will almost certainly state "Joe Bloggs, previously known as Steve Dave was in court today..." so all the hassle of changing all your information is all essentially for nothing.

https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/legal-removal-request?complaint_type=rtbf&hl=en&rd=1 complete the form...

khafka
khafka
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)

jcdmcr - 5 Jul 20 8:06 PM

Sadly for me, this is true. Although neither my christian name and surname are obscure, the combination is. I have never found anyone else online with it with a Google or Bing search. 

Of course the police advice was to change it. Yeah, because that doesn't mark you out as suspicious.🙄 

I'm in the same boat.

I did contemplate changing it. I have done, slightly and nothing shows up on Google using my "new" name. It's my birth name which I shortened in average life prior to this. So it helps somewhat.

The issue with changing it is there's still the risk of you showing up in the media if you have a court review for example as it'll show on the court roll your previous name and the paper/media will almost certainly state "Joe Bloggs, previously known as Steve Dave was in court today..." so all the hassle of changing all your information is all essentially for nothing.

https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/legal-removal-request?complaint_type=rtbf&hl=en&rd=1 complete the form...

I filled that out a few months back and they basically told me to bugger off due to the following:

"...we will balance the privacy rights of the individual concerned with the interest of the general public in having access to the information, as well as the right of others to distribute the information. For example, we may decline to remove certain information about financial scams, professional malpractice, criminal convictions, or public conduct of government officials." - [emphasis mine]

I first appeared in the media in December last year and then again at the start of this year when I was sentenced.

4 results show up relating to my offence.

1. The December news paper post when I pleaded guilty
  2. Facebook vigilante group posting about it
  3. The news paper again posting about my sentence
  4. The UK Database posting/article thing about me
Those are the top 4 results that show up then everything else is totally unrelated.

I have a court review next month and I'm wondering if they'll post about that too which will bring it back into the fold a bit.

J J
J J
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)

khafka - 5 Jul 20 8:14 PM

I'm in the same boat.

I filled that out a few months back and they basically told me to bugger off due to the following:

"...we will balance the privacy rights of the individual concerned with the interest of the general public in having access to the information, as well as the right of others to distribute the information. For example, we may decline to remove certain information about financial scams, professional malpractice, criminal convictions, or public conduct of government officials." - [emphasis mine]

I first appeared in the media in December last year and then again at the start of this year when I was sentenced.

Those are the top 4 results that show up then everything else is totally unrelated.

I have a court review next month and I'm wondering if they'll post about that too which will bring it back into the fold a bit.

Try complaining to the ICO? Even as an SO they were very helpful when I complained about a police force!
khafka
khafka
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)

jcdmcr - 5 Jul 20 10:01 PM

I'm in the same boat.

Try complaining to the ICO? Even as an SO they were very helpful when I complained about a police force!

Kind of. In a roundabout way.

It was off the back of one of the threads on here. I submitted a complaint to ICO about the UK Database I referenced my case on it but also just complained about the website as a whole and how they're breaking multiple GDPR rules. That was over a month ago and not heard a peep from them.

xDanx
xDanx
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)

I'm in the same boat.

I have been contemplating making complaints and have contacted my local MP who claims they have forwarded my complaints but have received no reply from police.
Would you be able to explain more on the ICO and how your complaint was handled?

J J
J J
Supreme Being

xDanx - 5 Jul 20 10:08 PM

I'm in the same boat.

I have been contemplating making complaints and have contacted my local MP who claims they have forwarded my complaints but have received no reply from police.
Would you be able to explain more on the ICO and how your complaint was handled?

Sure, i'll cobble something together and post it - if I dont get back to you by wednesday please give this thread a nudge
J J
J J
Supreme Being

My experiences with the ICO surround Greater Manchester Police unable to correctly record the fact that I was using a camera and that I was using a smartphone for over a year (and 3 police visits later).

J J
J J
Supreme Being

jcdmcr - 10 Jul 20 10:21 AM
My experiences with the ICO surround Greater Manchester Police unable to correctly record the fact that I was using a camera and that I was using a smartphone for over a year (and 3 police visits later).

Better url https://tinyurl.com/gmpvsico
xDanx
xDanx
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)

jcdmcr - 10 Jul 20 10:24 AM
jcdmcr - 10 Jul 20 10:21 AM

Better url https://tinyurl.com/gmpvsico

Thanks James, that was an interesting read and is a big help seeing how to lay out all the information should I pass on my complaints.
So far as I have mentioned, I have spoke to my local MP about my issues and concerns but I feel I am getting no where. Now with the new information I have both from my own research and from people such as yourself and many others. I feel there is more I need to make complaints about which I may go into in another topic.

Thank you again for taking the time to share this.

khafka
khafka
Supreme Being

Hey folks.

Submitted a complaint about the UK Database to ICO detailing their GDPR rule breaking among other things and I finally have a response. It is basically a nothing response as anticipated. The wording is slightly concerning though... Looks like they might be sending my contact details to them to try and resolve this issue..?

Email response: https://i.imgur.com/NT1CSQo.png

Dear Mr [REDACTED]

Thank you for submitting a complaint about the way The UK Database has processed your personal information.

The ICO’s role
Part of our role is to consider complaints from individuals who believe there has been an infringement of the data protection law.
Your complaint
We have considered the issues that you have raised with us and have written to The UK Database to explain that we expect their organisation to work with you to resolve any outstanding matters.
Next steps
One of the ICO’s strategic goals is to increase the public’s trust and confidence in how personal data is used and made available.
In this case, we expect the organisation to explain to you how they have complied with their obligations under the law as comprehensively as possible, including correcting any issues that they have identified or clarifying any areas of misunderstanding.
However, we are aware that the coronavirus pandemic is putting unprecedented pressure on many organisations. Some organisations have told us that they have had to reduce or suspend elements of their information rights practice due to the need to prioritise resources.
During these unprecedented times we must balance upholding important individual rights and protections granted to people by law, alongside recognising the challenges that many organisations, such as those providing a frontline service, face. As a proportionate regulator we will act in a manner which takes account of these circumstances, including how we approach our work
Although we expect the organisation to review your data protection concern as quickly as possible, we would note that it is possible that this may take them longer than usual because of the coronavirus pandemic.

Yours sincerely
Jordan Wright
Case Officer
Information Commissioner’s Office

I've sent a reply expressing my concern for the wording and stating how I don't want the UK Database to get any of my contact information or know that the complaint has come from me (for obvious reasons).

Edited
4 Years Ago by khafka
GO