theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

SHPO - devices that can connect to the internet

SHPO - devices that can connect to the internet

Author
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Was - 20 Aug 20 3:13 PM
Mark15788 - 20 Aug 20 2:40 PM
I’m not new to it no, my community order is now complete, I’m nearly 3 years In so fast approaching 2 years left on SOR and SHPO. Was just interested in the TV situation. Why would you need to take every new device to the police station? I’ve always just went the same day as delivery with the information I need and got a written confirmation from them. Hardly going to take a new TV in there to be fair.

It is the capriciousness of the whole process that is worrying.

I bought a new laptop, installed Windows (and nothing else) and within hours of it arriving, well within the 3 days notification period, informed my PPO and asked when they wanted me to bring it in to have the monitoring software installed. She told me I was in breach of my order and they could confiscate it. This is not true, they would need a court order to "confiscate" it, but, in my understanding they could arrest me, wait for their behaviour to be chucked out in court with no legal comeback and seize it for "examination" which could take several years. 

My next laptop I took in the box straight from Argos to the police station and asked them to set it up themselves, which to be fair they did. 

As others have said, they only seem interested in computers, when anyone with an inkling of the Internet of Things knows to be foolish if there is someone who really wants to continue committing offences. But protect yourself. Who knows if your PPO suddenly wants to pad their stats because they are getting near their appraisal?

My PPU is obsessed with my old PS2, which is in the wardrobe at my brother's house (ex-copper). She is convinced I plan to use it as a browser with no internet history, even though I have no internet connection, nowhere else to plug it in and it doesn't do wireless, which is why I was allowed it in prison.

I can't see that the police could justify insisting that you take a big TV to the police station for their examination. I can barely lift mine (I know, I'm a weakling), so if they're that keen, they should be coming round to your place to do whatever they need to do. Even so, as discussed elsewhere, it's worth getting that on email as well. Just for reference, like, as we all know that a verbal confirmation isn't worth the paper it's printed on.

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

Was
Was
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)

AB2014 - 20 Aug 20 3:47 PM
as we all know that a verbal confirmation isn't worth the paper it's printed on.

That's it. Get everything in writing. The old broken phone I have. I have an email from my previous PPO acknowledging it and just telling me not to delete anything. New Fire TV Stick. I have acknowledgement that they know I have it with no instruction to visit the police station. 

Understand, that a lot of this is to do with asserting control and not what actually constitutes a risk. Keep yourselves safe folks!
Mark15788
Mark15788
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)

When I got my new laptop which was December 2018, I don’t have the monitoring software installation condition so I set my own up and then obviously my browser history was there for them to inspect on there next visit, I just had to report a new device within 3 days.
JASB
JASB
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
jcdmcr - 20 Aug 20 12:50 PM
Be very careful when you register devices, here's how I go about it.

1 - Order item via amazon / pc company where i get an invoice electronically and shipping notification. 
2 - Forward the above on to your offender manager
3 - When the device arrives take it UNBOXED to the police station
4 - unbox it and allow them to do whatever
5 - When you get home, make a note on an excel spreadsheet of the make, model, serial number, MAC addresses, and if applicable any hard drive model / serial number.
6 - Forward the above on to your offender manager

I have an upheld complaint against Greater Manchester Police
Complaint 1 - Failure to record a smart phone; they told me that I hadn't notified them about a smartphone. The ICO and the evidence from above said otherwise
Complaint 2 - Failure to register a camera; They breached me for having a camera as my shpo said I couldn't have one. They later read my SHPO and said I can have a camera but I should have told them. I was remanded at the time, and pointed out that there was no storage capacity in the camera. They dropped the charge. On my release I placed a formal complaint stating I had informed them. The ICO upheld this complaint too.

Lessons learnt.

1 - Ensure that you dont just have the paper from the recording, this is faxed over to the PPU and is easily "lost". EMAIL anything thats relevant through to your OM, eg flight tickets, booking paperwork, travel plans.
2 - PRINT a copy out and keep it to hand. Remember that if you're arrested your solicitor or close friend / family member might not be able to get at any records. Keep a printed copy of ANYTHING that might come in handy, and keep it in a safe ACCESSIBLE place
3 - Keep photos of anything registered and have these to hand.
4 - Keep a PRINTED device list with make, model, serial number, hard drive serial, MAC address, invoices/delivery notes and police paperwork

Hi
Interesting and wise.

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope is for tomorrow else what is left if you remove a mans hope.
J J
J J
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)

I’m not new to it no, my community order is now complete, I’m nearly 3 years In so fast approaching 2 years left on SOR and SHPO. Was just interested in the TV situation. Why would you need to take every new device to the police station? I’ve always just went the same day as delivery with the information I need and got a written confirmation from them. Hardly going to take a new TV in there to be fair.

I bought a new laptop, installed Windows (and nothing else) and within hours of it arriving, well within the 3 days notification period, informed my PPO and asked when they wanted me to bring it in to have the monitoring software installed. She told me I was in breach of my order and they could confiscate it. This is not true, they would need a court order to "confiscate" it, but, in my understanding they could arrest me, wait for their behaviour to be chucked out in court with no legal comeback and seize it for "examination" which could take several years. 

My next laptop I took in the box straight from Argos to the police station and asked them to set it up themselves, which to be fair they did. 

As others have said, they only seem interested in computers, when anyone with an inkling of the Internet of Things knows to be foolish if there is someone who really wants to continue committing offences. But protect yourself. Who knows if your PPO suddenly wants to pad their stats because they are getting near their appraisal?

Exactly, I actually used amazon and others to deliver direct to the police station. No arguments, I was asked to stop this Smile

I now forward ANY invoice to my offender manager, and buy any SD cards online, I can then use the invoice and delivery confirmation as proof as to whats happened. 

I've been screwed over too many times
JASB
JASB
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
jcdmcr - 21 Aug 20 8:07 PM

Exactly, I actually used amazon and others to deliver direct to the police station. No arguments, I was asked to stop this Smile

I now forward ANY invoice to my offender manager, and buy any SD cards online, I can then use the invoice and delivery confirmation as proof as to whats happened. 

I've been screwed over too many times

Hi J

I understand your reasons but could you revise your strategy? Having shown your willingness to assist them, and to stop them thinking you are intentionally trying to provoke them, have you now thought of just writing to them quoting their request for you to stop, and inform them that you will keep the invoices for the appropriate purchases for their review on the visits.
This may easy any tensions - eventually - plus ensures you keep all your warranty documents organised. 

Only a suggestion.

Keep safe

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope is for tomorrow else what is left if you remove a mans hope.
Mark15788
Mark15788
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)

What experiences have people got with a phone upgrade?

Last time my officer came out and checked the phone history and then said it was fine to clear and recycle and then just report the acquisition of the new one within three days.

Im hoping to use some of my savings to get a early upgrade soon and wondered if this is what I should do again? Just get them to inspect and let me recycle again.
Was
Was
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)

Mark15788 - 24 Aug 20 1:07 PM
What experiences have people got with a phone upgrade?

This you will have to play by ear. I have no conditions that prevent me from getting rid off devices or SD cards, yet my PPO behaves as if I do. Where it gets fun is that factory resetting equipment can be construed as "deletion of history" so be careful. Theoretically if you recycle without a reset it is not a breach, but most people would want to delete their personal data. When it came to a laptop I returned under warranty, I offered them the chance to wipe it. They declined the offer, but I returned it to the store with nothing deleted just to be on the safe side. Even more fun was when I had a laptop stolen. Proper break-in, nicked other stuff too, yet in theory it was completely unaccounted for. However, I had not deleted anything so I suspect there was very little they could do about it. 

Bottom line is in most circumstances they make it up as they go along. If you have a PPO that is happy for you to "report the acquisition" that's nice, but mine will not even allow it to be powered on during that 3 day period. Document every conversation you have with them. I use email rather than calls for this purpose.

On the plus side I got my new phone configured and set up with my Apple account for free. Wink

Mark15788
Mark15788
Supreme Being

Yeah I usually correspond by text but I could email him and ask him to come and do a check like he did last time. Then get him to confirm in email that he’s happy for me to do a full reset and then recycle.

The weird thing is, I have an iPhone so can’t comment on other phones, but I’m sure when you look at the history it only goes so many weeks back anyway, so they never get a full account of your browsing history if you only get visited once a year anyway.

Was
Was
Supreme Being

Mark15788 - 24 Aug 20 2:34 PM
Yeah I usually correspond by text but I could email him and ask him to come and do a check like he did last time. Then get him to confirm in email that he’s happy for me to do a full reset and then recycle. The weird thing is, I have an iPhone so can’t comment on other phones, but I’m sure when you look at the history it only goes so many weeks back anyway, so they never get a full account of your browsing history if you only get visited once a year anyway.

Text has a nasty habit of disappearing on phone resets or changes of SIM. Whilst a device may have a local copy, emails are normally stored elsewhere (gmail, hotmail etc.) which is useful if a device has a brain fart.

After having Android for so many years, I now have an iPhone 6S. However, what I have done is install Microsoft Edge. This allows you to share links and history over multiple devices. It came in useful when I got the third degree for searching for "child of light" and was able to pin point it down to the exact day, hour, minute and second and the site I was looking for!
GO