theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

The dreaded "can we have a chat"

The dreaded "can we have a chat"

Author
JASB
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
Simon1983 - 20 Sep 20 2:10 PM
Cheers Square 

I know what you mean by the mental health issues, not knowing who made the report sent me a little over the edge. 

Over the last 10 years I had moved on with my life and felt I had paid back a lot.

sadly all the advice I got from the like of ACAS and others, was to just let it be and take it no further, as everyone in my work now knows it’s not like I could return, so just of the view I have to start again which is not easy with the like of every job out there needing a basic DBS 

Hi

We can all understand the concern about raising the subject with the employers again but not knowing what settlement - if any - you received on leaving, and if you wish to return to that job, but consider it from another perspective.

You do have a legal right to protection by your employer. I believe you have the right to be informed of the identity of your accuser in cases like this as you have a right to defend yourself as you have adhered to their policies. It was the fault of the business's processes that you was not asked the question NOT yours. Otherwise anyone can take a "personal dislike" to the employer to get someone dismissed.

We all know they understand you do any "public noise" and they are using that to hide their issues but remember they will not want to air their mistakes.
We should not take unjust punishment or allow others to punish us for their errors.

It may be hard but I would start to gather all the relevant documentation especially their recruitment policies from when you were recruited, build it all up before talking to lawyers and then decide if your current scenario is worth challenging them.

Just do not give up on hope.

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope is for tomorrow else what is left if you remove a mans hope.
Simon1983
Simon1983
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Cheers Square 

I know what you mean by the mental health issues, not knowing who made the report sent me a little over the edge. 

Over the last 10 years I had moved on with my life and felt I had paid back a lot.

sadly all the advice I got from the like of ACAS and others, was to just let it be and take it no further, as everyone in my work now knows it’s not like I could return, so just of the view I have to start again which is not easy with the like of every job out there needing a basic DBS 

Square
Square
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)

I'm sorry to hear this @simon1983 - I think you should get some advice. I would also agree that if your company made your position untenable you were constructively dismissed.

Personally, I'm terrified. This is the only time something like this has happened in the near-10 years since my 'issue', and I was moving forward with life. Trying to do good, work hard and be 'normal'. The fact that I don't know who made the call or why is causing me some mental health issues. I had actually contacted an employment lawyer who suggested a SAR, but as y employer is being quite supportive (at the moment) I don't want to start rocking boats.
JASB
JASB
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
Simon1983 - 18 Sep 20 6:56 PM
Sadly I wish it was that easy, due to the nature of the job I was in, every one knows every one and it would soon be found out again so can’t go back into the same line of work, have to find something else 

Hi

Understanding you did resign BUT it may be worth contacting 
Acas helpline
Telephone: 0300 123 1100
Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm 

The reason I am suggesting this is because even though you resigned, you only did so under "duress", which is an attribute of unfair dismal.
Hopefully you may have records of the "call to chat", those attending, anything that would suggest pressure. 
Also how did it become public?
You have the positive feedback documents so this would indicate the business did not see an issue with your work. There was no requirement for disclosure so again supports you.

Going back some time to my HR days but protecting informants when you have done nothing wrong in the work place, is again discrimination. They must have records of the events, you should be able to get them, especially the threat by the person to go public. Somethings may of changed but discrimination has not so what have you got to lose.
I know it is easy to say but you should not be scared as confidentiality is on your side.

You did not say whether an NDA was involved? If so I believe it would hold no grounds in something like this.

Good luck and be brave, just research, phone the hotline for free advice and possibly as a decent employment solicitor not an "ambulance chaser".

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope is for tomorrow else what is left if you remove a mans hope.
Simon1983
Simon1983
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)

Sadly I wish it was that easy, due to the nature of the job I was in, every one knows every one and it would soon be found out again so can’t go back into the same line of work, have to find something else 
J J
J J
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)

Simon1983 - 17 Sep 20 9:46 PM
Hi square 

I know that feeling, August last year, i was called in to the office by my manager and one of the joint managing directors, someone had grassed me up to the company. 
I had been working for them since 2010, when I joined I was not asked about any unspent convictions

my conviction in question was from 2007, 3 yrs image related, life on register and life SHPO. So sadly conviction still unspent 

over the 9 years working there had neither been issues and had been promoted 3 time to other management positions.

they had had this information for over two weeks, and the person grassing me up made it clear that if I did not leave they would make it public.

was left in no option but to resign, and sadly it was still made public, and my safety put at risk was taken back to the feeling I had when I first came out of custody @ the start of 2010 that I was back to square one. Sadly am still out of work and no support from job centre or any other agencies 

Can you move area, you have a reference from them? If you resigned you could just say you wanted a month or 2 to put things right and then look for another job?
Simon1983
Simon1983
Supreme Being

Hi square 

I know that feeling, August last year, i was called in to the office by my manager and one of the joint managing directors, someone had grassed me up to the company. 
I had been working for them since 2010, when I joined I was not asked about any unspent convictions

my conviction in question was from 2007, 3 yrs image related, life on register and life SHPO. So sadly conviction still unspent 

over the 9 years working there had neither been issues and had been promoted 3 time to other management positions.

they had had this information for over two weeks, and the person grassing me up made it clear that if I did not leave they would make it public.

was left in no option but to resign, and sadly it was still made public, and my safety put at risk was taken back to the feeling I had when I first came out of custody @ the start of 2010 that I was back to square one. Sadly am still out of work and no support from job centre or any other agencies 

Square
Square
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)

So, today the HR manager at work asked for a chat. It turns out someone had called the HR director of my work to "whistleblow" on me. Just to be clear, I am covered by the RoOA and I did not need to disclose anything. I had changed my name and living location as a means of self protection.

The chat was unbelievable awkward, as I am sure you will imagine. The call was made over two weeks ago and there were seemingly discussions between the HR manager and the HR Director whether or not to tell me. It was stated that they understood that I was covered by the act and that I didn't need to disclose the conviction. It was also stated that they were very happy with the job I was doing and there was not a risk to my employment. They also planned to keep this disclosure between the senior HR team.

Needless to say I am extremely pleased with the response, however it has affected my mental health. I also wish to know more about who supplied this 'information' but they are not willing to share and given their response I really don't wish to rock the boat.

I suppose I am very lucky.
GO