theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Get out of lockdown free pass (To see probation officer)

Get out of lockdown free pass (To see probation officer)

Author
Alan Watts
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (8.3K reputation)Supreme Being (8.3K reputation)Supreme Being (8.3K reputation)Supreme Being (8.3K reputation)Supreme Being (8.3K reputation)Supreme Being (8.3K reputation)Supreme Being (8.3K reputation)Supreme Being (8.3K reputation)Supreme Being (8.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
JASB - 2 Oct 20 9:56 AM
There have and probably still is, cases were the individual has admitted to offences they did not commit purely on the influence of the technique. In other words they became confused on the actual truth because of the constant barrage of accusations and so their recollection is manipulated.
I found the below quote which I try to keep focused on when this type of question has been used. 
There is no such thing as truth as it is the perception of the individual

Mine usually get the details incorrect but I feel like I have to admit to everything they say or it will not be seen as complying.

For example I would describe my offence as retaliating to someone with online harassment who had done similar to me in the past. I knew them from school, however the OM always focus on my dating site activities - I have never had an issue with anyone on dating sites or any other female than the one from my case.

At the end of the day I do know I done something wrong, but I also know that it wasn't as simple as that with many facts being twisted against me and dragging on the guilt (and adding more things) for years after the offence does not seem constructive for rehabilitation.
AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (162K reputation)Supreme Being (162K reputation)Supreme Being (162K reputation)Supreme Being (162K reputation)Supreme Being (162K reputation)Supreme Being (162K reputation)Supreme Being (162K reputation)Supreme Being (162K reputation)Supreme Being (162K reputation)

punter99 - 2 Oct 20 3:07 PM
JASB - 2 Oct 20 9:56 AM
alexh07 - 1 Oct 20 4:46 PM
Was - 1 Oct 20 8:43 AM
Just for interest, and without giving away your location, were you dealt with by the National Probation Service or one of the 21 outsource companies? 

My letters and the office I attend have the NPS logo on them but I couldn't be 100% if the staff I have dealt with have been outsourced. Either way I see it as a pen-pushing exercise to keep someone in taxpayer funded employment.

JASB - 1 Oct 20 10:24 AM
Do not give in to disappointment else you will never reach the end. maintain the control and discipline you have developed since your offence. Focus on your self belief and do not doubt the character you have rediscovered during your rehabilitation process.

Remember there is always a reason or process being followed to test/stress you to see if you will revert to offending again. They will not accept responsibility for their "regressive interview techniques" as being an influence if you do. 

Your rehabilitation has shown you the truth about yourself. You can listen to your doubters but you do not have to believe them 

I understand the questioning techniques used to push answers out of me but I will never understand the antagonistic approach to test us, this just leaves me feeling guilty and in a bad mood which means I am less inclined to contribute anything to society and it removes all guilt from screwing the benefit system because the country screwed me.

It would seem the world has gone mad where the small fish such as ourselves are made to feel like a bad person for years over a mistake, yet the real criminals are allowed to destroy livelihoods and profit from it without consequence.

Hi
I am pleased you understand my thoughts on the reasons for their manner of questioning.

What you must do; and I know from personal experience, is work on your "own quality of life" which will assist in maintaining your self belief. 

I wrote to my OM asking why they use this technique as it is known to be non productive for the individual; but as yet no response. There have and probably still is, cases were the individual has admitted to offences they did not commit purely on the influence of the technique. In other words they became confused on the actual truth because of the constant barrage of accusations and so their recollection is manipulated.
I found the below quote which I try to keep focused on when this type of question has been used. 
There is no such thing as truth as it is the perception of the individual

I know they form an opinion via the words of the "victim", so they do not know the truth. However my experience through this process is that other factors provide a bias for their beliefs so an "expansion" of the truth is developed. That is why I remember the quote.

"they form an opinion via the words of the "victim", so they do not know the truth"

This is just my being pedantic, but when you say they do not know the truth, this implies there is a truth to be known, when, as you also say, there is no such thing as truth, only perceptions. You also seem to be implying that the victim does not tell the truth and that only the offender really knows the truth.

It's not entirely clear to me whether truth, in the context of this discussion, refers to facts or opinions. There will be some elements of an offence which can be established as facts and other things which can only ever be opinions or perceptions. For those elements which can be proved to be factually correct, they can surely be described as a form of truth. For example, the fact that a person has been convicted of a certain offence, makes it true to state that they have been convicted of the offence.

Other aspects of this situation include the fact that last year probation were directed From On High that they had to see everyone on their caseload regularly: no phone calls or meeting at other venues. Plenty of lifers found themselves back in the office monthly rather than having a phone call every few months. Obviously, the recent situation put a temporary end to face-to-face meetings, but they're starting again in most areas. I'm guessing that in Scotland, where this is dealt with by social workers working for the local authority, the approach is different and more discretion is allowed. Secondly, both types of probation have an incentive to paint a bleak picture of the "service user" so that when their supervision ends, they can paint a much brighter picture and say what a great job they've done. It's not personal, except for the probation officer(s) involved.

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

Alan Watts
Alan Watts
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (8.3K reputation)Supreme Being (8.3K reputation)Supreme Being (8.3K reputation)Supreme Being (8.3K reputation)Supreme Being (8.3K reputation)Supreme Being (8.3K reputation)Supreme Being (8.3K reputation)Supreme Being (8.3K reputation)Supreme Being (8.3K reputation)

My sentence now comes to an end (apart from the record which will affect me for years to come).

Unpaid work - Thoroughly enjoyed getting out to different places, doing practical work and meeting new people.

Supervision element (while in Scotland) - Nice to have a reasonable chat with someone about the offence although sometimes turned demeaning when incorrect things were assumed about it. Quickly went down to monthly appointments and this was ideal. The travel there was quite impractical (usually 20 miles away).

Probation element (while in England) - The main OM I had was much more antagonising than my previous criminal justice social worker with messing me about with appointments and then putting the blame on me etc. They didn't seem to bother to learn anything about the offence, so it was basically a tiresome case of checking in and sometimes touching on the offence but again, making assumptions which were wrong. These were usually weekly phonecalls with some f2f appointments and I found it really tiresome having weekly contact after being used to monthly. I had chats with a couple of other OMs and these seemed more reasonable people than my main one.
GO