theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Employment with a Criminal Record

Employment with a Criminal Record

Author
Pinkfur
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (4K reputation)Supreme Being (4K reputation)Supreme Being (4K reputation)Supreme Being (4K reputation)Supreme Being (4K reputation)Supreme Being (4K reputation)Supreme Being (4K reputation)Supreme Being (4K reputation)Supreme Being (4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Thanks. Will let you know!
Pinkfur
Pinkfur
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (4K reputation)Supreme Being (4K reputation)Supreme Being (4K reputation)Supreme Being (4K reputation)Supreme Being (4K reputation)Supreme Being (4K reputation)Supreme Being (4K reputation)Supreme Being (4K reputation)Supreme Being (4K reputation)

I emailed NHS bloke who has been dealing with DBS stuff on Wednesday and surprise, surprise, not even a reply! So have not even had a chance to challenge them if they'd said no. All a bit strange this time as a year ago, when conviction unspent, managed to get a job there, but now it's spent, not even any response! Wasted time and money doing tests and taking in documents - 3 trips to London, all for nothing. If they've no intention of employing us, then why bother to let us go through the process? To fill their quota probably to make it look as though they are doing the "right thing!" They know from the application form what the conviction relates to so they can't give that as an excuse! This has been ongoing since October when I first applied and now the period has passed for me to leave feedback on their site re the application process, typical!

Ha, now I have another interview at the end of the month, also NHS, so I wonder if that will be the same fiasco!

mad
Pinkfur
Pinkfur
Supreme Being

Hi
I would like to get some feedback from you. Will try to make it short! Last January, I managed to secure a job as bank staff for the NHS, for which they obviously need to do a DBS check and the ROA is exempt. The details of the criminal record were on my application. Usually they will ask to see a copy of the certificate if it isn't clear but to be honest, I can't remember if I took it in or not. I started the training but realised it would clash with a part time job so I told them I would not be commencing employment in the department. I have applied for lots of jobs since but despite interview, no success. Similar roles came up at the end of last year, same NHS Trust, but the work was at different locations to those previously. so I applied again. Went through the same tests etc. Took my I.D. related documents in before Christmas, taking the certificate from a year ago, and was told it did not have the right info on and I would have to go through another check. (I believe she was wrong as the job was identical and in fact when I did get a new certificate, it was exactly the same!).

Because it wasn't clear, they needed to see it so I took it in and had to write a statement relating to the criminal record (now spent, but not filtered as it was custodial, although not served). I wrote enough for an A4 page as I wanted to give some background etc. The guy took it away and returned, saying his manager "would think about it", and I almost wanted to say "well, if he has to think about it, don't bother then", but I didn't, of course. He said they would let me know that day or the next. I have waited, purposefully, for an email, but nothing! It's now 3 weeks since I took in the certificate!

I am going to email and find out what's going on with my application but I wanted to post here before I do so. Obviously I want to mention the fact that I (or rather they) had no problems last year with a similar role/criminal record (then unspent) but now it seems there is a problem as I've heard nothing and up until then, the process was moving relatively quickly (apart from waiting for the certificate for 2 months). So, I wonder if I can challenge them, although probably not a leg to stand on legally of course, particularly as they can discriminate us anyway, but it all seems a little dodgy now, don't you think?

Thanks for any advice!
Pinkfur
Pinkfur
Supreme Being

Ha pissy!!!! Do you mind, I have a degree, I would never appear pissy!! LMAO.....

No, it would obviously be a polite email but to be honest, even though I did not start with them last year, there are loads of bank staff, so it would not be like hiring one person who "let them down" for one specific role. I do have a right though, I believe, to enquire where I'm at, as it were. Although in saying that, after my last two interviews, I ended up contacting the employers as they had not let me know after 3-4 weeks, which is not usually the case, because as a rule, they are very quick to say no!!!!
Pinkfur
Pinkfur
Supreme Being

Actually, it's only 2+ weeks ago that I took in the certificate, just seems longer, so I will wait a couple more days and then email them! freaked
Pinkfur
Pinkfur
Supreme Being

Well, still not heard anything, so tomorrow I will send an email as it's not really acceptable to leave people hanging not knowing one way or another.
GO