theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Google Effect - Advice Needed

Google Effect - Advice Needed

Author
Victor H
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Yup would also advise if you can if your company is good enough and has a trade union representative(check with management or ho) that can assist you in your interviews they should attend it and support you during the actual interview, do your best to get it done first time round afterwards it may not matter!

Its important to note that employers themselves can abuse and manipulate circumstances or as I put it make up the law, a trade union rep is like a mini solicitor and would pretty much shut down any such tactics that is if your management is attempting to do so.

How come it has taken 18 months for management to have an interview ? Did an staff or manager colleague Google you and why now and not 18 months ago ?

Seems strange a 2nd interview is required if it was just a simple "chat" a quick talk would have been sufficient- I certainly would ask what is the interview about and ask the right question as in is there a dispute or complaint since then I would ask for a union rep or solicitor to be present you do have a right to rearrange the interview at least this way the manager maybe frank and just inform you its a quick chat nothing serious etc....
Victor H
Victor H
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)

Pretty much as expected I don't think at this point they want you period, even under a new name and new company.... bad news travels even faster and the risk is high of it happening again.

I think by law bad references can't be given anyhow, then again how can you get a bad one when you done nothing wrong?
I would use a few guys names or previous companies as ref anyhow, if never hurts.

Otherwise perhaps get a 2nd opinion from a solicitor you could stand to make big money possible or a rather big redundancy package if they offer you it followed by changing your name and working hard to move those bad internet articles down and going for another job sounds the ticket.
Victor H
Victor H
Supreme Being

It was to be expected so nothing new, they really had no other course of action it was just a delaying process to attempt you to leave willingly and freely so no legal course of action could occur.

If anything you could go to a solicitor and sue them, maybe a good or bad thing you wont know till you discuss it with one.

Did you by chance keep a copy of your application form where you ticked yes to criminal conviction or any evidence of this even if it was just something your management said?

Or did you keep your interviews with them recorded on phone?, ask them for all the papers, disciplinary papers and interview papers/cassettes etc
you will need all the evidence. Any colleagues still working and willing to sign to a witness statement ? etc

Otherwise it does not sound like you did anything wrong, I am quite surprised they did not offer a redundancy package since it was always a question about money at the end of the day perhaps they feel you will not fight or go down the legal path....

I speak from experience since I got gross misconduct too ! I wish I went to a solicitor to get a proper opinion, goodluck and keep us updated!
Victor H
Victor H
Supreme Being

2 years min for legal action, no wonder why they were so strong in their action to ditch you they must have contacted their internal legal team and got that same wording back otherwise I doubt they would have done such a thing.

I would get confirmation of that 2 year clause imo, while it must be true perhaps ask your solicitor for where exactly it is written that exist? Or perhaps contact ACAS:

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/work/problems-at-work/dealing-with-grievances-at-work/#acas

more guide lines here:

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/work/problems-at-work/dealing-with-grievances-at-work/

maybe unlock can confirm that 2 year thing also ?

I don't personally feel your solicitor will be able to do much but hopefully am wrong, otherwise if you really are brave you could perhaps have a meeting with the company with your solicitor present and perhaps attempt a wild bluff and suggest rather then go down the legal route you are willing to discuss redundancy packages or ££.

Failing any of that wait for the solicitor perhaps..... but in mean time perhaps its not a bad idea to work religiously on making those bad internet websites go down to page 3-4, I would open 20 social media accounts on twitter, facebook, myspace and hammer it and then change your name and join then retry for another job, if anything in your next employment you will be more confident and a cleaner and safe concious of it not occurring again.
Victor H
Victor H
Supreme Being

Well glad you at least came back to just discuss your interview outcome.

I understand your exact situation since I was in a similar situation it is a great shame the google effect has done this to you, you will always have good or bad eggs in any company, sounds like someone did not like you or decided to do some digging on you its one of those moments where you feel like saying who was it ! but that is not important right now.

I would suggest if your time is "spent" ask google under the right to be forgotten to remove the articles and also google "how to move bad websites about me down" plenty of tips and guides they do sadly take a very long time to do, I know one guy made several accounts on social outlets(facebook, twitter etc) and this pushed the negative news about himself to pages 2-3 where most don't look but this took much effort and posting. You can of course change your name.

The type of offense is what would be the issue I would imagine you could attempt to stick it out and see how colleges treat you if you are finding people have changed or stopped working and talking to you then that is a whole other thing you may then wish to ride it out or ask for a transfer if possible.

You can also if you know anyone well enough in your department let them know x, y, z give your side of the story bet you 9 times out of 10 most don't understand you could just click a url and 5 minutes later in prison it is just that easy.

The reason why I suggest this since we all know how difficult it is to get a job let alone a job with a past and money is still money at the end of the day.

If you work in a warehouse can I ask why you declared the information ? if they asked for a standard check or dbs check then there would have been a risk of your past....
Victor H
Victor H
Supreme Being

What advice to give in these kind of circumstances I am sorry it has come to that but I think given the nature of the offense which I believe is the one we can't really discuss on this forum its not a shocker really, I understand it since I gone through it myself.

I think you gave it a good shot tbh most would have just grabbed their coat and emptied their locker and be gone without even a notice.

I think its a good idea just like many of us have learned ticking no to criminal convictions while not ideal and basically a lie it sadly does prove it is the only way sometimes especially for many type of offenses which people won't understand and want to understand, thought crimes will always be thought crimes sadly.

I would work effortless to bring those Google search results to page 3-4, not to mention changing your name and trying a new job position.

The alternative is fighting the case with the company due to unfair treatment possibly, but if they are willing to suspend you for doing nothing wrong it is going to be a challenge and long process. Really depends what you are willing to do next really.

You could attend the interview and perhaps inquire if you can move to another branch or h/o or other job position?, if that does not work and they insist on the made up 500 distressed 'Staff' and suspension play maybe ask for a very good redundancy package after all you have technically done nothing wrong in my opinion.

If possible you may wish to discuss your situation with 1-2 solicitors, while it may seem like quitting and leaving is an easy choice I would advise get a 2nd opinion before doing something so major use the time your suspended to take a breather and see your options fully a solicitor would be able to assess it well.

As I say depends on so many factors ie your wages if were just talking about a warehouse job under with basic wages under 12-16k or your financial situation it all factors in here.
Victor H
Victor H
Supreme Being

Excellent advise from link and hopefully RM you do have a quick chat with unlock staff.

Yeah to myself it feels or sounds like that 3 weeks they took they were weighing up their options (legally) since they know you have not actually done anything wrong and they can be potentially sued which is what I said somewhere in my early post.

They seem to have set a time and date for you quite early on perhaps trying their best to get you in, see where they stand and then dismiss you etc since they said Wednesday (tomorrow) its like you have no time to include a solicitor even !

I am unsure if you will attend with a poker face, but you certainly do have rights and options.

You could cancel the appointment due tomorrow and advise them you require more time, no doubt this may imply you are getting your solicitor/defence ready !

I do agree with link you do need to take someone along if not just for your witness or help and support legally, a no win quibble solicitor sounds an idea. I would also record the interview on your phone and if you have an interview get copies of everything etc.

If you are on your way out why not get as much money as possible ? I wish I had done the same in my case, goodluck RM
Victor H
Victor H
Supreme Being

Nice you are doing well although technically you have not done anything wrong I would imagine the company suspending you or firing you without actually any real explanation other then staff are a upset, does not really cut the mustard even the company reputation line is rubbish.

Also I think the law maybe on your side surely they can't give you a bad reference anyhow you done nothing wrong...

Them suggesting they have to continue the investigation sounds like a stall tactic like they want you just to up and leave of your own accord making their life easy as pie.

Make sure you are getting fully paid also but I would personally ask a solicitor at least over the phone for some suggestions, ideas at the very least perhaps those free no win/fee ones.

Explore all the ideas and suggestions, severance package maybe an interesting one you could always suggest if the company reputation may get damaged you certainly don't wish it to go public to the media..... am sure they will turn Charlie Chaplin overnight on that one.
DeterminedToSucceed
DeterminedToSucceed
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (5.7K reputation)Supreme Being (5.7K reputation)Supreme Being (5.7K reputation)Supreme Being (5.7K reputation)Supreme Being (5.7K reputation)Supreme Being (5.7K reputation)Supreme Being (5.7K reputation)Supreme Being (5.7K reputation)Supreme Being (5.7K reputation)

Just wanted to lend my support RM - this sounds truly Orwellian.

I hope you have the all the necessary resources (financial, emotional) to challenge this. It is absurd and, well, plain wrong.

Good luck.
HelpNeeded
HelpNeeded
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (3.5K reputation)Supreme Being (3.5K reputation)Supreme Being (3.5K reputation)Supreme Being (3.5K reputation)Supreme Being (3.5K reputation)Supreme Being (3.5K reputation)Supreme Being (3.5K reputation)Supreme Being (3.5K reputation)Supreme Being (3.5K reputation)

Hi RM,

Just wanted to wish you all the best with everything, awful situation, made even worse by your former employers actions.

I can't imagine how you're feeling but please try and remember, you did nothing wrong from an employment point of view. I appreciate it may not feel that way to you right now though.

Best of luck with everything.
GO