theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Post Brexit- impact on travelling to Europe

Post Brexit- impact on travelling to Europe

Author
hurrdedurr
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (3K reputation)Supreme Being (3K reputation)Supreme Being (3K reputation)Supreme Being (3K reputation)Supreme Being (3K reputation)Supreme Being (3K reputation)Supreme Being (3K reputation)Supreme Being (3K reputation)Supreme Being (3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
BenS - 20 Feb 18 2:54 PM
AB2014 - 20 Feb 18 12:31 PM

When you notify your passport number to the police, they then put that number onto the Schengen system, with a note that you are on the SOR. That is part of their standard procedures. The relevant question is do they remove that information once you come off the SOR? In fact, are they able to remove the information?

This is interesting seeing as the vast majority of EU countries do not have an SOR.

If, when I come off the SOR, I am still subjected to detailed checks due to my passport obviously raising a flag when arriving at foreign passport control, I will probably get a new passport, even if there are several years before the current one expires. Maybe I'll also travel with a basic DBS check on myself to show no criminal record.

Just so you are aware, I have looked into this for my DH and apparently it triggers as a concern flag for the MOSOVO team.  So please don't do anything like that before you are well and truly off the SOR!  Although I do also have to wonder, what would happen if you genuinely lost your passport (or, as I did when I was 19, manage to put it through the washing machine and ruin it!!)
BenS
BenS
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)

hurrdedurr - 23 Feb 18 4:31 PM

Just so you are aware, I have looked into this for my DH and apparently it triggers as a concern flag for the MOSOVO team.  So please don't do anything like that before you are well and truly off the SOR!  Although I do also have to wonder, what would happen if you genuinely lost your passport (or, as I did when I was 19, manage to put it through the washing machine and ruin it!!)

No worries, I wouldn't do that now, and anyway, if I did, I would be required by law to give them the new passport number (which would then stay on their system for 10 years, long after I'm off the SOR!).

If you genuinely lose your passport and get a replacement, anyone on the SOR would be required to notify this to the PPU without being prompted to do so, and even if you're not planning on travelling. It's one of the basic requirements. No different from your passport expiring normally and getting a replacement - you have to report this on your own initiative.

If you passport expires/is lost/damaged/stolen etc. and then you don't get a new one, I can't see anything saying you have to tell them that you simply don't have a passport anymore. But the minute you get a new one, you have to tell them, even if you're not going anywhere.
Yankee
Yankee
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)

BenS - 25 Feb 18 11:29 AM

No worries, I wouldn't do that now, and anyway, if I did, I would be required by law to give them the new passport number (which would then stay on their system for 10 years, long after I'm off the SOR!).

If you genuinely lose your passport and get a replacement, anyone on the SOR would be required to notify this to the PPU without being prompted to do so, and even if you're not planning on travelling. It's one of the basic requirements. No different from your passport expiring normally and getting a replacement - you have to report this on your own initiative.

If you passport expires/is lost/damaged/stolen etc. and then you don't get a new one, I can't see anything saying you have to tell them that you simply don't have a passport anymore. But the minute you get a new one, you have to tell them, even if you're not going anywhere.

Both the Passport office and DVLA have a marker on their system which alerts the PPU if there is any change - this was originally introduced to act as a deterrent after the PPUs discovered people changing their name, getting new documents and not notifying.  As it's a legal requirement to notify within 3 days of any change to passport (or driving licence if no passport and DL used as identity document) this marker should be irrelevant to anyone (hopefully all on this forum) looking to play by the rules.

AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)

Yankee - 28 Feb 18 1:09 PM

Both the Passport office and DVLA have a marker on their system which alerts the PPU if there is any change - this was originally introduced to act as a deterrent after the PPUs discovered people changing their name, getting new documents and not notifying.  As it's a legal requirement to notify within 3 days of any change to passport (or driving licence if no passport and DL used as identity document) this marker should be irrelevant to anyone (hopefully all on this forum) looking to play by the rules.

Exactly, but if you're on the register, there's no point getting a new passport unless you need one. Once you're off the register, you can get a new passport and not have to notify anyone. Any flags or notices against your old passport number wouldn't apply any more.

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)

AB2014 - 6 Mar 18 11:46 AM
Yankee - 28 Feb 18 1:09 PM

Exactly, but if you're on the register, there's no point getting a new passport unless you need one. Once you're off the register, you can get a new passport and not have to notify anyone. Any flags or notices against your old passport number wouldn't apply any more.

Just thought I'd revive this thread, as there is now some clearer information online here. The UK government is quite proud of its record in using the Schengen Information System, and says that from April 2016 to March 2017, UK alerts resulted in 13,100 hits across the EU. Meanwhile, a blog here says that the UK has always led the way on EU criminal justice policy, so things are unlikely to get any easier after Brexit.

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

tedstriker
tedstriker
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)

I'm not sure this is actually anything new. The UK gave always sought to remain in all of the EU cross border security arrangements. The big thing for those with a record will be the introduction of ETIAS and whether the UK manage to (or even attempt to) negotiate an exemption or some rebranded freedom of movement.
BenS
BenS
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)

AB2014 - 3 Apr 18 12:00 PM

Just thought I'd revive this thread, as there is now some clearer information online here. The UK government is quite proud of its record in using the Schengen Information System, and says that from April 2016 to March 2017, UK alerts resulted in 13,100 hits across the EU. Meanwhile, a blog here says that the UK has always led the way on EU criminal justice policy, so things are unlikely to get any easier after Brexit.

Thank you for that link.

In the report, it also says: "The UK has for example uploaded details of registered sex offenders onto SIS II, enabling the UK and its EU partners to track and monitor them throughout the EU."

1) This seems to contradict what we have been led to believe about the police having discretion as to whether or not to add you to the system when you do a foreign travel notification, and seems to suggest that everyone is added, regardless of risk level or any other factor, possibly by the UK authorities, above any power that your local PPU has.

Adding you to the SIS II (while still in an EU citizen) seems totally pointless, as you cannot be denied access into another EU Member State unless they have concrete evidence that you are planning to commit a crime - having previous convictions, even serious ones, is not grounds for denying entry (if it were, they would certainly arbitrarily deny entry to every RSO they ever came across).

2) "Track and monitor them throughout the EU". Hardly, as once you're in the Schengen Area, you can go anywhere from Portugal to Finland with no passport control.
Edited
6 Years Ago by BenS
AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being

BenS - 3 Apr 18 2:16 PM

Thank you for that link.

In the report, it also says: "The UK has for example uploaded details of registered sex offenders onto SIS II, enabling the UK and its EU partners to track and monitor them throughout the EU."

1) This seems to contradict what we have been led to believe about the police having discretion as to whether or not to add you to the system when you do a foreign travel notification, and seems to suggest that everyone is added, regardless of risk level or any other factor, possibly by the UK authorities, above any power that your local PPU has.

Adding you to the SIS II (while still in an EU citizen) seems totally pointless, as you cannot be denied access into another EU Member State unless they have concrete evidence that you are planning to commit a crime - having previous convictions, even serious ones, is not grounds for denying entry (if it were, they would certainly arbitrarily deny entry to every RSO they ever came across).

2) "Track and monitor them throughout the EU". Hardly, as once you're in the Schengen Area, you can go anywhere from Portugal to Finland with no passport control.

On point 1, the reason for reporting passport numbers to police is so that they can be added to SIS as a matter of routine. The police discretion is whether or not to issue an Interpol green notice, which should be after a risk assessment, but often isn't.

On point 2, as you say, once you're in, you're in. I think that is aimed more at certain criminals who need to be tracked by various law enforcement agencies, and also at reassuring some of their own supporters who take a keen interest in criminal justice and seeing that it is applied as harshly as possible. Sad

Square
Square
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)

AB2014 - 3 Apr 18 2:36 PM
BenS - 3 Apr 18 2:16 PM

Thank you for that link.

On point 1, the reason for reporting passport numbers to police is so that they can be added to SIS as a matter of routine. The police discretion is whether or not to issue an Interpol green notice, which should be after a risk assessment, but often isn't.

On point 2, as you say, once you're in, you're in. I think that is aimed more at certain criminals who need to be tracked by various law enforcement agencies, and also at reassuring some of their own supporters who take a keen interest in criminal justice and seeing that it is applied as harshly as possible. Sad

SIS II is not something I knew about until today. I am getting more depressed by the day. My Solicitor once told me "after 5 years, this will be in the past and you can get on with life... that was one of many lies from him. Anyway, from what I have found SIS II reports back "reason for the alert and the action to be taken if the person is encountered". I am assuming for a spent offence/ someone who is not a risk the system would not report back? The concerning thing is that the system gives member countries a copy of the database every 5 minuites - so it is really up to individual countries to decide how to interpret data.
I suppose I should really just try to get to all the places I want to see before March next year...
BenS
BenS
Supreme Being

Square - 8 Apr 18 4:11 PM

I am assuming for a spent offence/ someone who is not a risk the system would not report back?

That is the idea - once you're off the SOR and/or your conviction is spent, you should't be on the system and there should be no Green Notice.

In reality I suspect the authorities might "forget" to take you off the system, then after travelling abroad and getting questioned, when you return from holiday you might have to proactively request the police to delete you from the system or remove the Green Notice.

In any case, once you no longer have to notify under SOR and you get a new passport, there shouldn't be any details of that passport in the system and theoretically you should be able to travel like anyone else. I have yet to reach that stage so I don't know. But I am cynical of the idea that the day after you come off the SOR or your sentence is spent, your passport magically no longer flags up. That sounds too good to be true. Surely the authorities aren't going to waste any time removing ex-RSOs from the system unless they are explicitly asked to do so?
Edited
6 Years Ago by BenS
GO