theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Has Schengen system changed?

Has Schengen system changed?

Author
forever changes
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
forever changes - 4 Oct 19 11:00 PM
AB2014 - 1 Oct 19 9:48 AM
tedstriker - 30 Sep 19 10:56 AM
forever changes - 28 Sep 19 7:11 PM
BenS - 11 Sep 19 9:38 AM
JohnL - 11 Sep 19 7:49 AM
All I did was send a registered letter to my PPU and two weeks later I got a reply back saying that any remaining flags had been deleted and that I shouldn’t now have any problems. And since then I haven’t had any issues whatsoever at the border either returning to the U.K. or entering another country.

Thanks for this advice, I will use this when I come off, good to know, cheers.

Not had a reply from Police yet but on returning to UK I got through the e-gates for the first time ever. However I've just travelled to Greece and was again stopped. A lot of conversation in Greek between 2 police and I was let through though it was very tense and embarrassing as there was a big queue behind me. When I got through the e-gates coming back last time I thought it had all been sorted, obviously not. 

This sounds like you have been removed from the UK watch system but presumably still have a live alert on the SISII system. It should drop off over time I think.

I think this is something they have to delete, rather than wait for it to expire. I'm not sure who to contact, but the police generally seem to refer all this stuff to an "International Section", maybe at the Home Office, who deal with it. If your former PPU contact doesn't know what to do, try the Data Protection Officer at your local force's HQ, as they will certainly know who deals with it.

Just got back to uk and re-experienced the freedom of going through the e-gates for 2nd time - plus when I got home there was a letter from PPU saying 'this alert' has now been removed. Great relief and thanks for all the replies, advice and support I felt from the forum while I went through this discomfort

Oh dear, I spoke too soon and had same experience as Scotboy. Just got back from a short break  in Schengen area and was stopped at their passport control on both arrival and departure. No probs coming back to UK. So was PPU lying or overclaiming for something outside his control, or are Schengen countries retaining information themselves that our Police can't control? I thought I'd cracked it so it's very dispiriting and depressing I'm still being treated like this 4 months after I came off the SOR. What can I do now?

AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)

forever changes - 9 Dec 19 5:26 PM
All I did was send a registered letter to my PPU and two weeks later I got a reply back saying that any remaining flags had been deleted and that I shouldn’t now have any problems. And since then I haven’t had any issues whatsoever at the border either returning to the U.K. or entering another country.

Not had a reply from Police yet but on returning to UK I got through the e-gates for the first time ever. However I've just travelled to Greece and was again stopped. A lot of conversation in Greek between 2 police and I was let through though it was very tense and embarrassing as there was a big queue behind me. When I got through the e-gates coming back last time I thought it had all been sorted, obviously not. 

This sounds like you have been removed from the UK watch system but presumably still have a live alert on the SISII system. It should drop off over time I think.

I think this is something they have to delete, rather than wait for it to expire. I'm not sure who to contact, but the police generally seem to refer all this stuff to an "International Section", maybe at the Home Office, who deal with it. If your former PPU contact doesn't know what to do, try the Data Protection Officer at your local force's HQ, as they will certainly know who deals with it.

Just got back to uk and re-experienced the freedom of going through the e-gates for 2nd time - plus when I got home there was a letter from PPU saying 'this alert' has now been removed. Great relief and thanks for all the replies, advice and support I felt from the forum while I went through this discomfort

Oh dear, I spoke too soon and had same experience as Scotboy. Just got back from a short break  in Schengen area and was stopped at their passport control on both arrival and departure. No probs coming back to UK. So was PPU lying or overclaiming for something outside his control, or are Schengen countries retaining information themselves that our Police can't control? I thought I'd cracked it so it's very dispiriting and depressing I'm still being treated like this 4 months after I came off the SOR. What can I do now?

Well, if the alert has to be removed, then if your local PPU is playing dumb, try the Chief Constable, as he/she is responsible for data protection and compliance. It may well then be passed on to the person who deals with it operationally, such as the Data Protection Officer. The fact of the matter is that your personal information seems to be being processed beyond what is allowed by the Data Protection Act 2018, so if the police won't help you, the ICO ought to.

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

forever changes
forever changes
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)

AB2014 - 10 Dec 19 10:00 AM

Well, if the alert has to be removed, then if your local PPU is playing dumb, try the Chief Constable, as he/she is responsible for data protection and compliance. It may well then be passed on to the person who deals with it operationally, such as the Data Protection Officer. The fact of the matter is that your personal information seems to be being processed beyond what is allowed by the Data Protection Act 2018, so if the police won't help you, the ICO ought to.

Well I did that and got a reply from Police that 'all alerts have definitely been deleted from police computer systems'.  I suppose that could imply a) there are things not called 'alerts' which have information about me and that have not been deleted and b)  there are systems besides 'police computer systems' that could be holding information causing me to have been stopped. I looked at the ICO website and you seem to have to say who you're complaining about, so if the Police have told me what they have I don't see how I can complain about them so who would my complaint be against? I suppose it's remotely possible that me being stopped was just a random event - twice! - and I will be travelling to the Schengen area again in a couple of weeks and not sure if I should wait to see if I am stopped again before I consider doing anything else, though I'm not sure what I could do now besides pay a solicitor £300 an hour to look into it....

BenS
BenS
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)

forever changes - 29 Jan 20 7:33 PM
AB2014 - 10 Dec 19 10:00 AM

Well I did that and got a reply from Police that 'all alerts have definitely been deleted from police computer systems'.  I suppose that could imply a) there are things not called 'alerts' which have information about me and that have not been deleted and b)  there are systems besides 'police computer systems' that could be holding information causing me to have been stopped. I looked at the ICO website and you seem to have to say who you're complaining about, so if the Police have told me what they have I don't see how I can complain about them so who would my complaint be against? I suppose it's remotely possible that me being stopped was just a random event - twice! - and I will be travelling to the Schengen area again in a couple of weeks and not sure if I should wait to see if I am stopped again before I consider doing anything else, though I'm not sure what I could do now besides pay a solicitor £300 an hour to look into it....

Sorry to hear this. Being optimistic, maybe the alert took a while to get deleted. Or maybe they only deleted it after getting your letter.

Let us know what happens on your trip.
scotboy
scotboy
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (7.2K reputation)Supreme Being (7.2K reputation)Supreme Being (7.2K reputation)Supreme Being (7.2K reputation)Supreme Being (7.2K reputation)Supreme Being (7.2K reputation)Supreme Being (7.2K reputation)Supreme Being (7.2K reputation)Supreme Being (7.2K reputation)

Maybe a new passport would be the way to go.
BenS
BenS
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)

scotboy - 30 Jan 20 11:00 AM
Maybe a new passport would be the way to go.

The problem is the alert is not believed to be linked directly to one's passport. It is linked to the information therein, such as name, date of birth, place of birth, etc. Otherwise, any genuine criminal could simply get a new passport and travel undetected.

That being said, no harm trying.
Harmless
Harmless
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (21K reputation)Supreme Being (21K reputation)Supreme Being (21K reputation)Supreme Being (21K reputation)Supreme Being (21K reputation)Supreme Being (21K reputation)Supreme Being (21K reputation)Supreme Being (21K reputation)Supreme Being (21K reputation)

When they said the alert had been removed, did they name the alert?
forever changes
forever changes
Supreme Being

Harmless - 5 Feb 20 1:47 PM

When they said the alert had been removed, did they name the alert?

Nope 
Daftbugger
Daftbugger
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (354 reputation)Supreme Being (354 reputation)Supreme Being (354 reputation)Supreme Being (354 reputation)Supreme Being (354 reputation)Supreme Being (354 reputation)Supreme Being (354 reputation)Supreme Being (354 reputation)Supreme Being (354 reputation)

So has anyone recently traveled to france, Greece or any other shengen country who is on the SOR and if so what sort of checks did they get on arrival?
BenS
BenS
Supreme Being

Daftbugger - 6 Feb 20 11:25 AM
So has anyone recently traveled to france, Greece or any other shengen country who is on the SOR and if so what sort of checks did they get on arrival?

I travelled to Germany in October 2019. Used the e-gates, as I usually prefer to do, as they fail for so many people that it doesn't stand out if you are rejected by them.

It took an eternity at the e-gate (he must have been reading stuff), but then I got the green light and did not have to see the border officer.
GO