theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Travelling with SOR : What if you are abroad and decide to vary the countries visited ?

Travelling with SOR : What if you are abroad and decide to vary the...

Author
BenS
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
JASB - 28 Jan 20 2:06 PM
BenS - 28 Jan 20 10:35 AM
AB2014 - 27 Jan 20 8:59 AM

It's not just about the Schengen Zone - UK passport holders have freedom of movement throughout the EU for now, whether the country is in the Schengen Zone or not.

But although we have freedom of movement through the EU (Schengen and non-Schengen), if you are in e.g. Spain and decide on a whim to get a flight to to e.g. Croatia, i.e. EU but non-Schengen, you will trigger the SISII alert at passport control. While you can't be denied entry to Croatia, the alert will reach the PPU, who might then question your honesty, even if you've done nothing illegal. So for the benefit of your relationship with your PPU, I'd advise anyone doing this to stay in Schengen, as then your PPU will not find out if you've flown from the Canary Islands to the Norwegian Arctic and back.

I agree with the sentiment that if the further travel is genuinely not premeditated then I don't think you're doing anything wrong and don't need to notify. And you can't notify anyway as you're not in the UK.
If, on the other hand, you are planning all this beforehand, e.g. notifying travel to Spain with the intent of also going to Portugal but not mentioning this, it's technically a crime, even if it's a thought crime. I would advise not having any paper or electronic trail if you intend to do this.

JASB's quote: "you only have to say where you will stay the first 3 nights out of the UK anyway." In addition to this though, you have to notify of ALL other countries you plan to visit, in addition to the country of arrival. The key word (in the context of this conversation) being "plan".

Hi Bens
I would be interested in knowing where it says you have to notify all other countries you plan on travelling to? That is also an impossible task as how do you find out about "their" equivalent to a PPU -  or whatever it will be called - in the areas/countries you may travel to?
The following is from the NARCO site:
https://www.nacro.org.uk/resettlement-advice-service/support-for-individuals/travelling-abroad-and-immigration-to-the-uk/travelling-abroad-while-on-the-sex-offenders-register/
It does not mention the aspects you are talking about but it does highlight if going to multi countries you only need to state the first.

As I mentioned; if you wish to maintain and build the confidence and trust your PPU has in you - which I assume is true if they do not stop you travelling - be open about your plans and confirm their processes for possibly changes.

Being polite may I suggest you may be over stating your concerns? 

Keep life simple, talk to the PPU about what they need and and that way you will remain offence free.

Hi JASB,

Whenever I notify my PPU of foreign travel, on the form there is a question requesting a list of ALL countries you plan to visit, in addition to the country of arrival. This is separate and additional to the question about the country of arrival.

It's interesting to read the link you provided, and also the law linked by AB2014, which contradicts my experience and I was unaware that this question was not mandatory. On the form the PPU fills in with me when I go abroad, I am always asked this question (as JGUK68 has also alluded to).

I wonder if the form varies by force area. I suppose, as long as all the mandatory questions are on the form, the force/PPU is free to add whatever other questions they like.

I haven't personally experienced the hypothetical situation mentioned by the original poster, so my earlier post is only musings and not facts :-)
Edited
4 Years Ago by BenS
AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)

BenS - 30 Jan 20 9:15 AM

It's not just about the Schengen Zone - UK passport holders have freedom of movement throughout the EU for now, whether the country is in the Schengen Zone or not.

But although we have freedom of movement through the EU (Schengen and non-Schengen), if you are in e.g. Spain and decide on a whim to get a flight to to e.g. Croatia, i.e. EU but non-Schengen, you will trigger the SISII alert at passport control. While you can't be denied entry to Croatia, the alert will reach the PPU, who might then question your honesty, even if you've done nothing illegal. So for the benefit of your relationship with your PPU, I'd advise anyone doing this to stay in Schengen, as then your PPU will not find out if you've flown from the Canary Islands to the Norwegian Arctic and back.

I agree with the sentiment that if the further travel is genuinely not premeditated then I don't think you're doing anything wrong and don't need to notify. And you can't notify anyway as you're not in the UK.
If, on the other hand, you are planning all this beforehand, e.g. notifying travel to Spain with the intent of also going to Portugal but not mentioning this, it's technically a crime, even if it's a thought crime. I would advise not having any paper or electronic trail if you intend to do this.

JASB's quote: "you only have to say where you will stay the first 3 nights out of the UK anyway." In addition to this though, you have to notify of ALL other countries you plan to visit, in addition to the country of arrival. The key word (in the context of this conversation) being "plan".

Hi Bens
I would be interested in knowing where it says you have to notify all other countries you plan on travelling to? That is also an impossible task as how do you find out about "their" equivalent to a PPU -  or whatever it will be called - in the areas/countries you may travel to?
https://www.nacro.org.uk/resettlement-advice-service/support-for-individuals/travelling-abroad-and-immigration-to-the-uk/travelling-abroad-while-on-the-sex-offenders-register/
It does not mention the aspects you are talking about but it does highlight if going to multi countries you only need to state the first.

As I mentioned; if you wish to maintain and build the confidence and trust your PPU has in you - which I assume is true if they do not stop you travelling - be open about your plans and confirm their processes for possibly changes.

Keep life simple, talk to the PPU about what they need and and that way you will remain offence free.

Hi JASB,

Whenever I notify my PPU of foreign travel, on the form there is a question requesting a list of ALL countries you plan to visit, in addition to the country of arrival. This is separate and additional to the question about the country of arrival.

It's interesting to read the link you provided, and also the law linked by AB2014, which contradicts my experience and I was unaware that this question was not mandatory. On the form the PPU fills in with me when I go abroad, I am always asked this question (as JGUK68 has also alluded to).

I wonder if the form varies by force area. I suppose, as long as all the mandatory questions are on the form, the force/PPU is free to add whatever other questions they like.

I haven't personally experienced the hypothetical situation mentioned by the original poster, so my earlier post is only musings and not facts :-)

From my experience of their forms, some questions are marked "(Not mandatory)". So, they know we don't have to supply the information, but they're making a point of asking anyway. The bottom line is that the law specifies what has to be notified, so anything else can be considered a favour to the police. Seriously.

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

JGUK68
JGUK68
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (2.6K reputation)Supreme Being (2.6K reputation)Supreme Being (2.6K reputation)Supreme Being (2.6K reputation)Supreme Being (2.6K reputation)Supreme Being (2.6K reputation)Supreme Being (2.6K reputation)Supreme Being (2.6K reputation)Supreme Being (2.6K reputation)

Hi Bens

Hi JASB,

The "any other country visited" box is mandatory. The only non-mandatory one is the box asking who you are going to travel with. I always notify ALL countries I intend to visit and ALL accommodations I have booked in advance. 
But like mentioned in another post, if you are already abroad you are not under the UK jurisdiction so you do not have to notify anyone of this new unplanned trip to a new destination (but you can email or call them if you like,but it is not mandatory). That is my understanding and what I have been told by my former PPU officer.
Yankee
Yankee
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)

Harry53 - 26 Jan 20 10:26 PM
This is not something that I had considered doing, but lets say I visit Portugal, then Spain (as I have informed my PPU) but during my travelling decide I want to fly to Italy and then return to Spain as planned? I cannot inform any UK police station while away and it would appear to be a breach of the SOR conditions, but it is not stated anywhere to say if this is illegal or not.

Both the law and the Home Office guidance to it refer to 'where the offender holds the information'. That is, it is an offence not to notify prior to leaving the UK when you know you will be travelling to multiple countries but you cannot notify what you do not know...

If the situation changes and your notified information is now inaccurate or incomplete, the guidance requires you to notify the changes in person to an authorised  UK police station.

Unfortunately, there is nothing in either the legal text or the guidance to address the scenario where you didn't plan to visit a 2nd or more countries but decided to once you had left the UK.  I would find it hard to believe that the Police-CPS would charge in that situation and that a good lawyer would not be able to defend your position.

The bigger issue is around trust with the PPU - if they found out, it may change their risk assessment of you and make them more likely to issue an Interpol green notice in the future if they felt you were only notifying a trip to an EU hub airport and then flying off to a non-EU destination.
AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)

Yankee - 30 Jan 20 10:09 AM
Harry53 - 26 Jan 20 10:26 PM
This is not something that I had considered doing, but lets say I visit Portugal, then Spain (as I have informed my PPU) but during my travelling decide I want to fly to Italy and then return to Spain as planned? I cannot inform any UK police station while away and it would appear to be a breach of the SOR conditions, but it is not stated anywhere to say if this is illegal or not.

Both the law and the Home Office guidance to it refer to 'where the offender holds the information'. That is, it is an offence not to notify prior to leaving the UK when you know you will be travelling to multiple countries but you cannot notify what you do not know...

If the situation changes and your notified information is now inaccurate or incomplete, the guidance requires you to notify the changes in person to an authorised  UK police station.

Unfortunately, there is nothing in either the legal text or the guidance to address the scenario where you didn't plan to visit a 2nd or more countries but decided to once you had left the UK.  I would find it hard to believe that the Police-CPS would charge in that situation and that a good lawyer would not be able to defend your position.

The bigger issue is around trust with the PPU - if they found out, it may change their risk assessment of you and make them more likely to issue an Interpol green notice in the future if they felt you were only notifying a trip to an EU hub airport and then flying off to a non-EU destination.

The trust thing is a very important point, as these are the people who are supervising your life in all its many facets, so it's best not to go out of your way to disappoint/antagonise them. As Eric Cartman said in South Park, "You will respect my authoritah!"

Even so, an offence is committed when you break the law, not when you disappoint PPU. If the law says only the first country, then that is the requirement, but it makes sense to be as open as possible with PPU.

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

Yankee
Yankee
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)

JGUK68 - 30 Jan 20 10:08 AM

Hi Bens

Hi JASB,

The "any other country visited" box is mandatory. The only non-mandatory one is the box asking who you are going to travel with. I always notify ALL countries I intend to visit and ALL accommodations I have booked in advance. 
But like mentioned in another post, if you are already abroad you are not under the UK jurisdiction so you do not have to notify anyone of this new unplanned trip to a new destination (but you can email or call them if you like,but it is not mandatory). That is my understanding and what I have been told by my former PPU officer.

I've had to make last minute unscheduled business trips to a couple of non-EU countries when I've already been overseas. I just emailed my PPU to be on the safe side - you're making their lives easier as they would have got a report eventually from Heathrow border control that I had arrived back from a different country to originally notified and would have phoned to check that it wasn't a different trip that hadn't been notified in the first place.
JGUK68
JGUK68
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (2.6K reputation)Supreme Being (2.6K reputation)Supreme Being (2.6K reputation)Supreme Being (2.6K reputation)Supreme Being (2.6K reputation)Supreme Being (2.6K reputation)Supreme Being (2.6K reputation)Supreme Being (2.6K reputation)Supreme Being (2.6K reputation)

Yankee - 30 Jan 20 10:19 AM

Hi Bens

Hi JASB,

I've had to make last minute unscheduled business trips to a couple of non-EU countries when I've already been overseas. I just emailed my PPU to be on the safe side - you're making their lives easier as they would have got a report eventually from Heathrow border control that I had arrived back from a different country to originally notified and would have phoned to check that it wasn't a different trip that hadn't been notified in the first place.

I would do exactly the same (especially if you are coming back from a different country to the one notified). At the end of the day it is always best keep good relationship and trust with the PPU
Harry
Harry
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)

JGUK68 - 30 Jan 20 10:49 AM

Hi Bens

Hi JASB,

I would do exactly the same (especially if you are coming back from a different country to the one notified). At the end of the day it is always best keep good relationship and trust with the PPU

I am now in a long distance relationship but one I know will last. He is in Vietnam and my PPU officer knows this and trusts me. All my porn addiction is a distant bad memory.  So when I want to visit him and his family I am happy to tell my PPU but I am terrified that Interpol will issue a Green Card. There is no way they should as Green Cards should only be issued on people who are a high risk to children. Which I am not and never have been.
We just never know until going through immigration.  My PPU officer said he would not add any warning comments to the  travel data but I will still worry.

I agree that telling the cops I will travel around Europe for a undisclosed time but knowing full well I intent to visit Vietnam, is sly and worries me as I do not want to upset the good relationship I have with the PPU. I just saw this as a way I would by pass the worry of Interpol.

I guess when the time comes next year, I will tell my PPU of my trip and ask his advise. Not being able to visit Vietnam will destroy my relationship and me

JASB
JASB
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
Harry53 - 14 Jun 20 10:12 PM
JGUK68 - 30 Jan 20 10:49 AM

Hi Bens

Hi JASB,

I am now in a long distance relationship but one I know will last. He is in Vietnam and my PPU officer knows this and trusts me. All my porn addiction is a distant bad memory.  So when I want to visit him and his family I am happy to tell my PPU but I am terrified that Interpol will issue a Green Card. There is no way they should as Green Cards should only be issued on people who are a high risk to children. Which I am not and never have been.
We just never know until going through immigration.  My PPU officer said he would not add any warning comments to the  travel data but I will still worry.

I agree that telling the cops I will travel around Europe for a undisclosed time but knowing full well I intent to visit Vietnam, is sly and worries me as I do not want to upset the good relationship I have with the PPU. I just saw this as a way I would by pass the worry of Interpol.

I guess when the time comes next year, I will tell my PPU of my trip and ask his advise. Not being able to visit Vietnam will destroy my relationship and me

Hi
Having traveled around all of SE whilst on bail - and visiting for many years to see my father who lived in Thailand for 10 years - I went by coach from Laos to Vietnam. The administration process is long and deep as you may already know.
The point I wish to make is that they stamp your passport, therefore when you come back your PPU is entitled to look at the passport and will see the stamp. If you have not informed them prior it could lead to many questions especially due to the reputation of the area and any trust could be lost.
I am only raising this point as it is something people forget about due to focusing on the departure.

As ever I am not doubting the strength of your relationship but life turns within a second and emotions make us not think about our decisions, so it would be regrettable for your future to be destroyed again due to a rash decision. 
The whole of S.E.A. is a wonderful place to visit and live; not just because their culture believes in forgiveness and compassion, but the natural beauty of its land and seas.

I hope you make the right decision but do not rush.

Cheers

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope is for tomorrow else what is left if you remove a mans hope.
Simon1983
Simon1983
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)

This gives information on what information is and not shared and when and if it is shared 

https://www.app.college.police.uk/app-content/major-investigation-and-public-protection/managing-sexual-offenders-and-violent-offenders/travelling-abroad/

GO