theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Does having a record bar you from certain jobs for life - is there a list ?

Does having a record bar you from certain jobs for life - is there a...

Author
Alan Watts
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (8.2K reputation)Supreme Being (8.2K reputation)Supreme Being (8.2K reputation)Supreme Being (8.2K reputation)Supreme Being (8.2K reputation)Supreme Being (8.2K reputation)Supreme Being (8.2K reputation)Supreme Being (8.2K reputation)Supreme Being (8.2K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Unfortunately for me my conviction for retaliating to someone on the internet and offending them online carried a life sentence barring me from work. I graduated with a Master's degree in engineering and was only working for a couple of years until it happened and I lost my job and any chance of progressing in my field in the current competitive job market.

It's a shame for the economy and the development of the future but it's not all bad for me as I have been living quite comfortably on benefits since then whilst exploring money making opportunities online. If you still want to work it's not impossible but yoi can always look into self-employed opportunities too.
Simon1983
Simon1983
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)

Hi Rufus 

I fully understand how you feel, I think there is not a person on this forum that has not had the same thoughts and feelings that you are now going through.

There are jobs out there, not every employer asks about criminal convictions, you need to look at these and also jobs that might only undertake a. Basic DBS 

As i said your offences are not capital offences, there are a lot more serious offences out there that people have and are employed in full time work either self employed or working for a company.

You might want to give Clean Sheet a look at or also take a look at the prisoner funder directory to make look at becomeig self employed (once the COVID 19 stuff is out the way)

As I always say the more mud you throw something will stick 

Try and keep positive 

Rufus
Rufus
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (3.1K reputation)Supreme Being (3.1K reputation)Supreme Being (3.1K reputation)Supreme Being (3.1K reputation)Supreme Being (3.1K reputation)Supreme Being (3.1K reputation)Supreme Being (3.1K reputation)Supreme Being (3.1K reputation)Supreme Being (3.1K reputation)

Simon1983 - 30 Mar 20 5:26 PM
Hi Rufus 

Sadly there are many employers out there that operate a clean DBS policy especially when it comes to standard and enhanced checks this is wrong and I know unlock are working hard to change the attitudes of society, but this will take time.

having a conviction for drink driving and assault does not bar you from jobs, you have to remember that once there spent they are spent and most companies will only carry out a basic DBS check so there are plenty of jobs to apply for, where you would not have to disclose.

if you want to look at jobs that would endure an enhanced DBS check then be prepared to disclose and talk about the offence, why/ how it occurred, what you have learned about yourself in changing your attitudes so it don’t happen again etc etc it will be al about selling yourself.

as they say the more mud that is thrown something will stick.

all the best  

Hi thank you for your reply - I have been suffering from mental health issues with associated alcohol problems, which resulted in my convictions and losing me job and I am currently waiting for my home to be repossessed, as I can not pay our mortgage.

My convictions are not spent for the next 18 months (I think 12 month probation plus an extra 12 before spent ) 
 I feel like giving up - you are punished for your crime by the courts which I totally agree with but when your sentence / probation ends you are further punished by it staying on your record long after you have served your sentence. Probation dont seem to have any contacts for training or employment after conviction even though its role is to help to stop people reoffending. It seems like its just a tick box exercise that you have attended.

I fear I will never work again unless I do not disclose my unspent convictions - I want to be able tell employers and show what I have done to change but they dont want to know when its revealed you have a record. 

I just dont know what to do and getting help seems impossible.
Edited
4 Years Ago by Rufus
Simon1983
Simon1983
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)

Hi Rufus 

Sadly there are many employers out there that operate a clean DBS policy especially when it comes to standard and enhanced checks this is wrong and I know unlock are working hard to change the attitudes of society, but this will take time.

having a conviction for drink driving and assault does not bar you from jobs, you have to remember that once there spent they are spent and most companies will only carry out a basic DBS check so there are plenty of jobs to apply for, where you would not have to disclose.

if you want to look at jobs that would endure an enhanced DBS check then be prepared to disclose and talk about the offence, why/ how it occurred, what you have learned about yourself in changing your attitudes so it don’t happen again etc etc it will be al about selling yourself.

as they say the more mud that is thrown something will stick.

all the best  
Yankee
Yankee
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)

Rufus - 29 Mar 20 1:47 PM
Hi all, I have drink driving and assault on my record - as these are unspent I know they will show on any type DBS check but will that automatically bar me from certain jobs even when spent.

Is it a case of if it shows I have a record on a standard / enhanced check (as I know even if spent they will show on these checks) will I automatically not be considered.

Is there a list of roles I can never get a job due to now having a record, I dont want to waste my or their time applying for a job I can never get.

You can find the list on Unlock's website here:

A-Z Eligibility

Rufus
Rufus
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (3.1K reputation)Supreme Being (3.1K reputation)Supreme Being (3.1K reputation)Supreme Being (3.1K reputation)Supreme Being (3.1K reputation)Supreme Being (3.1K reputation)Supreme Being (3.1K reputation)Supreme Being (3.1K reputation)Supreme Being (3.1K reputation)

Hi all, I have drink driving and assault on my record - as these are unspent I know they will show on any type DBS check but will that automatically bar me from certain jobs even when spent.

Is it a case of if it shows I have a record on a standard / enhanced check (as I know even if spent they will show on these checks) will I automatically not be considered.

Is there a list of roles I can never get a job due to now having a record, I dont want to waste my or their time applying for a job I can never get.
GO