theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

New name, new DBS?!

New name, new DBS?!

Author
punter99
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (57K reputation)Supreme Being (57K reputation)Supreme Being (57K reputation)Supreme Being (57K reputation)Supreme Being (57K reputation)Supreme Being (57K reputation)Supreme Being (57K reputation)Supreme Being (57K reputation)Supreme Being (57K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Mr W - 1 Mar 23 6:07 PM
This MP is back again, calling the ability to change your name a 'scandal'

The Google effect, a private American company deciding the fates of people's lives and careers, is a scandal.
Vigilantes effectively making a 'public register' by copying newspaper stories on an online searchable 'database' is a scandal.
But of course nothing about that is mentioned in the article, but both are two of many reasons to change your name, especially after being in the press.

There is one line of sense, thanks to LFF:
Donald Findlater, director at the Lucy Faithfull Foundation charity, which is dedicated to preventing child sexual abuse, said some offenders changed their name to build a better life and not offend in future, or to "protect their family from the stigma of their identity".

The fault surely lies with the DBS checking process. They ought to have some way of finding out if a person has changed their name, but it sounds as if they just take the persons word for it, if they say they are not known by another name. The simplest way of checking is to look at the National Insurance Number. A quick cross check with DWP records will show their last known address and even people they lived with.

To completely disappear, you need a new NINO, not just a new name.
AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (166K reputation)Supreme Being (166K reputation)Supreme Being (166K reputation)Supreme Being (166K reputation)Supreme Being (166K reputation)Supreme Being (166K reputation)Supreme Being (166K reputation)Supreme Being (166K reputation)Supreme Being (166K reputation)

punter99 - 2 Mar 23 10:57 AM

The Google effect, a private American company deciding the fates of people's lives and careers, is a scandal.
Vigilantes effectively making a 'public register' by copying newspaper stories on an online searchable 'database' is a scandal.
But of course nothing about that is mentioned in the article, but both are two of many reasons to change your name, especially after being in the press.

Donald Findlater, director at the Lucy Faithfull Foundation charity, which is dedicated to preventing child sexual abuse, said some offenders changed their name to build a better life and not offend in future, or to "protect their family from the stigma of their identity".

The fault surely lies with the DBS checking process. They ought to have some way of finding out if a person has changed their name, but it sounds as if they just take the persons word for it, if they say they are not known by another name. The simplest way of checking is to look at the National Insurance Number. A quick cross check with DWP records will show their last known address and even people they lived with.

I don't know if it still applies, but I'm old (ancient?) enough to remember a scandal about fraudsters using the ID of a dead person, as at that time deaths weren't cross-referenced against births. So, if you appeared to be in the right age group, you could change your name to the dead person's, get a birth certificate in that name, then use that to build a new ID for yourself. I'm not suggesting that, of course, just saying that you might not actually need to change your name, you would just steal the ID of someone who can't do anything about it and effectively become that person. The trail of the former ID would go cold very quickly.

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

punter99
punter99
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (57K reputation)Supreme Being (57K reputation)Supreme Being (57K reputation)Supreme Being (57K reputation)Supreme Being (57K reputation)Supreme Being (57K reputation)Supreme Being (57K reputation)Supreme Being (57K reputation)Supreme Being (57K reputation)

AB2014 - 2 Mar 23 11:46 AM

I don't know if it still applies, but I'm old (ancient?) enough to remember a scandal about fraudsters using the ID of a dead person, as at that time deaths weren't cross-referenced against births. So, if you appeared to be in the right age group, you could change your name to the dead person's, get a birth certificate in that name, then use that to build a new ID for yourself. I'm not suggesting that, of course, just saying that you might not actually need to change your name, you would just steal the ID of someone who can't do anything about it and effectively become that person. The trail of the former ID would go cold very quickly.

It certainly is possible to create a new identity, but what Sarah Champion and the other campaigners are saying is that it is just a simple matter of changing your name by deed poll. That's only one small part of the process. 
AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (166K reputation)Supreme Being (166K reputation)Supreme Being (166K reputation)Supreme Being (166K reputation)Supreme Being (166K reputation)Supreme Being (166K reputation)Supreme Being (166K reputation)Supreme Being (166K reputation)Supreme Being (166K reputation)

punter99 - 2 Mar 23 3:18 PM
AB2014 - 2 Mar 23 11:46 AM

It certainly is possible to create a new identity, but what Sarah Champion and the other campaigners are saying is that it is just a simple matter of changing your name by deed poll. That's only one small part of the process. 

Yes, but if you adopt a real identity, settle into your new life, get to know people and then eventually get a countersignatory for a passport application in your new name, the world is your oyster. Of course, if all those many thousands of deaths have since been cross-referenced with the relevant birth records, this route is effectively closed.

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

JASB
JASB
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (100K reputation)Supreme Being (100K reputation)Supreme Being (100K reputation)Supreme Being (100K reputation)Supreme Being (100K reputation)Supreme Being (100K reputation)Supreme Being (100K reputation)Supreme Being (100K reputation)Supreme Being (100K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
Mr W - 24 Nov 22 4:16 AM
A story I saw on the news today... A lady was jailed for killing the man who abused her sons.
She's now out of prison and wants more restrictions for offenders and she speaks about the ability to change your legal name.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p0dj4vsx/the-big-cases-killing-my-childrens-abuser

I know it's not the main part of the story but at 21:45 the MP talks about changing names and that a new name would mean a clean DBS - is that right?!

Hi I changed mine and all that happens is your record is changed, this is still the same record i.e. historical data is still there including your old details. It is just the same as all old addresses, bank details are still retained when they are changed. 

More importantly in my opinion this is again just trying to defend those who are not undertaking their duties responsibilities correctly and blaming the easy target - the SO!
If the DBS checks are undertaken correctly, someone's name would at the very least highlight the name(s) for a possible link and further investigation.

Just think how many "Joe Smith" are out there!! There is hardly any name that is unique. 

Again this particular female (the complainer) is trying to use the "Victim" sympathy aspect to remove the crime she committed! You imagine a man trying to do the same and so gain the sympathy of the media and MP's!

Anyone and everyone can be a victim but it doesn't mean you should be allowed to take the punishment into your own hands. If this was allowed the illegal hunters would have a field day; remember last month the gang murdering the wrongly identified man!!

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope is for tomorrow else what is left if you remove a mans hope.
Edited
Last Year by JASB
Mr W
Mr W
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)

Quick Q. Are ppus notified about a DBS check? Not sure how DBS system works. Thanks.

=====
Fighting or Accepting - its difficult to know which is right and when.
Edited
5 Months Ago by Mr W
JASB
JASB
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (100K reputation)Supreme Being (100K reputation)Supreme Being (100K reputation)Supreme Being (100K reputation)Supreme Being (100K reputation)Supreme Being (100K reputation)Supreme Being (100K reputation)Supreme Being (100K reputation)Supreme Being (100K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
Mr W - 26 Oct 23 5:47 PM
Quick Q. Will my ppu be notified that I'm having a DBS check for a job? Not sure how DBS system works. Thanks.

hi no idea but i hope you are successful with the job application.

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope is for tomorrow else what is left if you remove a mans hope.
AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being

Mr W - 26 Oct 23 5:47 PM
Quick Q. Will my ppu be notified that I'm having a DBS check for a job? Not sure how DBS system works. Thanks.

They will only be told if it is an enhanced DBS check and you are on the relevant barred list. Otherwise, they are not involved.

Mr W
Mr W
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)

Thanks, JASB.
Thanks AB2014, this one is not enhanced, but that's very interesting to know.

=====
Fighting or Accepting - its difficult to know which is right and when.
GO