theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Rossendales and contribution order?

Rossendales and contribution order?

Author
east72
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Hi
I hope somebody can help as I'm stressed Sad

I was given full legal aid for a trial in Aug 2010 i was found guilty and sentenced to 6 years , my wife stood by me fully..

In July 2012 a letter arrived at our home addressed to me from a company called rossendales ltd asking for £8000 towards my legal fees they were recovering a dept we had never been notified about..

My wife took advice from CAB to write back stating i did not live at this address we heard nothing back...

I was released from prison in august 2013 so near 18 months ago and 30 months since my wife wrote back to rossendales..

Then to of the blue yesterday i get a letter stating i need to pay ...

Help please as i don't have 8k i am working on min hours and min wages my wife is unable to work due to ill health we just can't afford anything.. we have sold anything of value just to live.. mad

Thanks
east72
east72
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)

Ok

Quick update i have had contact with the so called rossendales they are very rude and still demanding the money..

I have explained that the order should have been mentioned in court after end of proceedings they replied thats the judges fault not ours...

I then explained that i should have received a bill no later than 21 days after proceeding so i had time to appeal once again not their fault its down to the Legal Services Commission...

They have an answer to everything and just demand the cash i have told them i would not pay them anyway as they have told me their charges have been added due to admin letters etc ..

Has anyone downloaded the template from https://www.dealingwithbailiffs.co.uk/capital-contribution-order.htm

as i think the next step is to write to the LSC...

Thanks

Anyone else with updates?
east72
east72
Supreme Being

Ok just off the phone again from rossendales they are not giving in, i owe £8000 and they give 6 months to pay lol don't know where they believe I'm getting £1350 a month from ...

They are the most arrogant people i have ever spoke with they have now threatened that unless i pay they will put a charge on my house..

Anyone help ?
east72
east72
Supreme Being

Thanks Smile

I just don't know what to do except try and pay it ;;;
east72
east72
Supreme Being

Hi

It says on the top of the letter contribution order then the amount of just shy of 8k ..

It was not to do with theft or anything like that..

Apparently since 2009 if you are given legal aid you maybe liable to repayment of some of the defence costs..

Extract from letter..

Following your conviction in the Crown Court, you are required to pay a
contribution to the costs of your defence representation. The amount you are
required to pay is £7,877.44, this amount must be paid within 28 days of
this order 10/08/2012.
east72
east72
Supreme Being

Thanks for your reply..

I was never told about any sort of payment nor was i ever contacted by the LSC with any sort of amount .

It also seems strange that nothing for 2 years then they are chasing now again after 4 and half years..

Any other options or advice please?
east72
east72
Supreme Being

I would have thought to put a charge on your house the would need a court sitting not just add it without telling you first?

So is this the first you have heard from them since the case?
east72
east72
Supreme Being

My old solicitor has said she is a criminal solicitor only so will have to seek help elsewhere...
east72
east72
Supreme Being

A CCO is made in a Crown Court or the High Court. However you only have 21 days after the date of the close of proceedings not necessarily the conviction date to appeal against the order by writing to the judge. You will need professional advice for this.

If you first become aware of a CCO being made is a bailiff's letter then check the document to see if any of the following applies.

1. It does not comply with Regulation 6 of the CDS(CO)R 2009 because no means test was made before making the order.

2. It does not comply with Regulation 22 of the CDS(CO)R 2009 which sets out the content of an order.

3. The assessment as to your CURRENT means and circumstances is wrong or recently changed or is based on wrong information.

4. You received the Order MORE than 21 days after the end of the proceedings which denies your statutory right of appeal.

5. The letter is from a private company and not from the assessing authority which means the inferred liability may not be genuine.

Write to the Legal Services commission and make a FORMAL COMPLAINT and ALWAYS enclose a copy of the original document.

Using this sample, delete the grounds listed that DO NOT apply to you.
east72
east72
Supreme Being

https://www.dealingwithbailiffs.co.uk/capital-contribution-order.htm
GO