theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Rejection from Uni to study due to convictions...advice needed

Rejection from Uni to study due to convictions...advice needed

Author
forever changes
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
I would think it's the nature of the conviction, rationality and reason go out of the window. I was refused membership of a club (ie a drinking venue where only adults could be members) because of my conviction
forever changes
forever changes
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)

"I'm not disagreeing with you at all - far from it, but there is a big difference between getting educated & joining a club".- Obviously, I was just pointing out the stigma against such offenders for relatively trivial things, thus an even greater stigma when applying to something that really matters like education

"why on earth would you need to declare any convictions when joining an adults club?" - I didn't declare, I was either googled or someone had seen and remembered my case in the papers years previously
link
link
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)

Hello RM, how are you?

It's a tricky situation because all universities are different, an appeal may be worth it but I don't know if the problem is more profession related, HR might be looked upon like finance - I don't know the legal stuff around HR but hopefully someone else can enlighten you...

On a similar subject I recently started a part time adult learning course and the application form was badly worded about convictions, just said "have you had any convictions?", as far as I'm concerned I don't because it's spent so you can guess what box I ticked... Its completely irrelevant to the course I'm doing and if it was an insurance form or a job application I wouldn't think otherwise!

It might not be the most christian way to live but that's why I'm an atheist Smile
Debbie Sadler
Debbie Sadler
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)

Hi RunningMan

I really think that you should try and appeal the decision. At the end of the day you've got nothing to loose.

I am aware of several individuals who have gone through the process with varying levels of success but if you go through the process and you are still refused, you will be in no worse a position.

You should home in on the fact that education and training are acknowledged internationally as one method of reducing re-offending and social exclusion. The Government has recognised that reoffending rates are too high and with costs estimated at £13 billion per year, it is also too expensive. But to give people a realistic chance of desisting from crime, they need skills and knowledge and therefore learning must be a priority.

Highlight to the Uni that you are no risk to other students, staff etc and if you can, try to provide them with evidence that you are low risk (i.e. Probation Reports). Explain that you have no restrictions placed on you.

Hope this helps.

Need Unlock's advice? Visit our self-help information site or contact our helpline

Need Unlocks advice? Visit our self-help information site or contact our helpline
Debbie Sadler
Debbie Sadler
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)

Hi RM

Bet that's the best Easter present you've ever had.

So pleased for you.

Keep us updated.

Deb

Need Unlock's advice? Visit our self-help information site or contact our helpline

Need Unlocks advice? Visit our self-help information site or contact our helpline
Debbie Sadler
Debbie Sadler
Supreme Being

Hi RM

This is absolutely fantastic news - a great Easter present for you.

Hope it all goes really well for you.

Deb

Debbie Sadler
Debbie Sadler
Supreme Being

Hi Runningman

It's disappointing that the Dean has taken this view.

Would it be possible for you to contact the Unlock Helpline with further details of the offence, the date and the disposal you were given in Court. Once we have this information, we may be able to provide you with additional information and advice.

Debbie Sadler
Debbie Sadler
Supreme Being

Fingers crossed RunningMan.

Deb

Debbie Sadler
Debbie Sadler
Supreme Being

This is fantastic news RunningMan

I can really appreciate how you must be dreading the meeting but at least you know that the people you're meeting with are not totally oppose to the idea of your studying. Sounds like your PPU Office is a pretty good bloke and he's probably done a lot to put the Uni's minds at rest. Hopefully the meeting will just be a formality with the chance for you to confirm what the PPU Officer has already said and for the Uni to tick a few more boxes.

Wishing you the very best of luck - hang on in there and let us know what happens.

Debs

BT
BT
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (7.8K reputation)Supreme Being (7.8K reputation)Supreme Being (7.8K reputation)Supreme Being (7.8K reputation)Supreme Being (7.8K reputation)Supreme Being (7.8K reputation)Supreme Being (7.8K reputation)Supreme Being (7.8K reputation)Supreme Being (7.8K reputation)

I was going to say that a group who aren't prepared to at least discuss with you & accept you're moving on, are no great loss, but of course, that's a pretty naive statement given that probably most groups would take that attitude if they knew.
Going forwards, can you let them have a slightly different spelling of your name perhaps? It's a shame as support is given to many people who have committed offences - drink drivers are up there in terms of the damage to lives they can do, but society seems to support recovering alcoholics, drug addicts etc & even some violent offenders.
GO