theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Post Brexit- impact on travelling to Europe

Post Brexit- impact on travelling to Europe

Author
dedalus
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
European Travel Information Authorisation System (europa.eu)

if you scroll down the text you will see that this link states that Etias will now be active from November 2023.

The last postponement had been till May 2023 so it looks like they are unable to actually get this thing started.

So summer 2023 looks ok from a tarvel point of view. 

Edited
2 Years Ago by dedalus
AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)

dedalus - 28 Jul 22 12:26 PM

if you scroll down the text you will see that this link states that Etias will now be active from November 2023.

The last postponement had been till May 2023 so it looks like they are unable to actually get this thing started.

That is an official page, so I believe it. More delays. Yet another big bureaucracy that can't get things organised.

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

dedalus
dedalus
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)

AB2014 - 28 Jul 22 12:36 PM

That is an official page, so I believe it. More delays. Yet another big bureaucracy that can't get things organised.

i would not be surprised if they end up scrapping it all together.
This system cannot work whilst each country treats convictions in a different way to the others.
marcovanba
marcovanba
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (3.8K reputation)Supreme Being (3.8K reputation)Supreme Being (3.8K reputation)Supreme Being (3.8K reputation)Supreme Being (3.8K reputation)Supreme Being (3.8K reputation)Supreme Being (3.8K reputation)Supreme Being (3.8K reputation)Supreme Being (3.8K reputation)

This would be good as Im looking at going to spain for 2 months next september / october

Also, if it kicks in Nov 2023 I will be close to 9 years since the date of my conviction.... when it gets to 10 I will feel a lot more comfortable

Though, as has been mentioned, whether it goes ahead fully or not, who knows!!!
dedalus
dedalus
Supreme Being

I'm not planning on declaring when it comes into place.
Travel10
Travel10
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (265 reputation)Supreme Being (265 reputation)Supreme Being (265 reputation)Supreme Being (265 reputation)Supreme Being (265 reputation)Supreme Being (265 reputation)Supreme Being (265 reputation)Supreme Being (265 reputation)Supreme Being (265 reputation)

marcovanba - 29 Jul 22 10:42 PM

This would be good as Im looking at going to spain for 2 months next september / october

Also, if it kicks in Nov 2023 I will be close to 9 years since the date of my conviction.... when it gets to 10 I will feel a lot more comfortable

I believe the question states 'Have you been convicted of any criminal offence listed in the Annex (see below) over the previous 20 years'

AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)

Travel10 - 31 Jul 22 8:33 AM
marcovanba - 29 Jul 22 10:42 PM

I believe the question states 'Have you been convicted of any criminal offence listed in the Annex (see below) over the previous 20 years'

When the ETIAS regulations were passed, the disclosure period was extended. So, it will be 15 years for most offences, and 25 years for terrorist offences. Of course, there is still a slim chance that these delays will just keep kicking the can down the road until they don't bother anymore.

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

forever changes
forever changes
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)

Hope that's true but to add to the potential woes there was an article in the i newspaper at the weekend that mentioned Etias and EES which I'd never heard of but the latter could start in September 2022 according to this https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/news/eu-to-launch-biometric-entry-exit-system-in-a-few-months/
Presumably ppl who have flags will have to answer questions as well as getting fingerprints and photographs taken , and info gathered could be used re future Etias checks

Edited
2 Years Ago by forever changes
marcovanba
marcovanba
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (3.8K reputation)Supreme Being (3.8K reputation)Supreme Being (3.8K reputation)Supreme Being (3.8K reputation)Supreme Being (3.8K reputation)Supreme Being (3.8K reputation)Supreme Being (3.8K reputation)Supreme Being (3.8K reputation)Supreme Being (3.8K reputation)

Confirmation the ETIAS has been postponed to November 2023

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/news/eu-postpones-launch-of-etias-to-november-2023/

punter99
punter99
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)

I think it's kind of funny, that everyone using the new EU biometric entry system, will now have to have their fingerprints scanned. This was always an indignity, that was reserved for those suspected of committing a crime, but now everybody is subject to it. 

How long will it be, until everyone traveling abroad, has to give the police 7 days notice of where they are going, I wonder?
GO