theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Sex Offenders Annual Registration Help

Sex Offenders Annual Registration Help

Author
Mark15788
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Let’s see if this posts this time.

On the aspect of the police threats of “they can extend if they want”.

She said there would need to be evidence of concern and to ignore them. She said after listening to what I had done to help myself she couldn’t see how they would justify it.
Mark15788
Mark15788
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)

Stuff I’ve done since conviction are: attend talking therapies for MH, complete a course of CBT, study for qualifications in business, customer service and team leading, currently studying for my BTEC diploma L4 in business, re-engage with family, complete my community order and horizon course, followed the SHPO, not reoffended or received any warnings etc.
Mark15788
Mark15788
Supreme Being

Last thing...

Polygraph. She said it’s a new thing the police have lashed on to.

She advised to not agree to it, not very scientific, my health issues like anxiety and my nerve damage from my diabetes that causes me to sometimes sweat more and my BP that fluctuates would all contribute in likeliness to false positives.

She pointed out all refusal would do would probably increase their perceived risk level and increase visits.
xDanx
xDanx
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)

Given the news about polygraphs from the Jeremy Kyle show, they can not be trusted. Of course police will continue to attempt to use them for any justification, If the choice is optional then I too would not agree to it. You can technically make applications to vary or discharge at any stage even with in the first 5 years, but for a variation or discharge must seek permission from the local Chief Constable. Legal aid can cover these applications but it depends on the solicitors, some allow it where as most will seek privately funded. After the 5 year mark, no permission is required from the police and I think that is why they scare you with the idea of extensions.

Mark15788
Mark15788
Supreme Being

Mine is fixed at 5 years anyway. So hopefully they won’t decide to challenge it and it will just end. At least I have a little reassurance that because I’ve cooperated, done a lot to address behaviour and circumstances in my life and move forward with education etc I wouldn’t give them the grounds to ask for an extension and if they did hopefully a judge would say no.

I just want to put this biggest mistake of my life behind me and move on.

I’m not eager to go back to court and vary anything now, I’ve coped 3 years so another 2 should be ok, I just wanted clarification on what my rights are. So I suppose talking to the solicitor did help me.
xDanx
xDanx
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)

I am not entirely sure what happens after given date a SHPO ends, I am also 3 years in to my SHPO and its been around 1 year since I really started to question my conditions which I have detailed in previous posts. It is a shame your solicitors are no longer operating as if I was told no SHPO would be drafted, then only to be handed one day of sentencing. I would be forwarding some complaints. I too was not given anything relating to my SHPO until the day of sentencing which I have put in some complaints about. But now the legal ombudsman are dealing with it so still waiting for their decision.  Given it was your barrister who stated no SHPO was being drafted, you could file a complaint to the courts directly? if you so choose too.

Mark15788
Mark15788
Supreme Being

Yeah the solicitor I spoke to said if I had any more questions just to send her an email so maybe I’ll ask if it’s worth complaining about what I was told and what happened.

My belief is, once the end date is reached, it just ends, I don’t think anything official is meant to happen.
Mark15788
Mark15788
Supreme Being

Quick side question too..my original solicitors has been liquidated. Is there a way to still get access to my file?
xDanx
xDanx
Supreme Being

If the firm no longer exist then I am not to sure how or who you could apply for a subject access request, however I came across this which might be of some help. https://www.sra.org.uk/consumers/problems/solicitor-closed-down/. If you remember the name of the solicitor / barrister dealing with your case and can track them down, they may have some idea.

GO