theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Sex Offenders Annual Registration Help

Sex Offenders Annual Registration Help

Author
Simon1983
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Wish you all the best, I have till jan 2025 till I can apply to come off, been on in since my release in jan 2010 (3 yrs sentence images only ) have not herd from my PPU officer in close to three years and the last home visit was about that as well, I look forward to the fun and games in 2025 as the Met police don’t make it easy 
Mark15788
Mark15788
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)

I got a new officer in March as I moved homes, same force area just new locality area. He seems more clued up than anyone else I’ve dealt with. I wish you luck too, I know it seems a while away but I’m sure you will get there soon enough and it will all work out.
punter99
punter99
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)

On the question of what info you have to give the PPU. I was told that any usernames must be disclosed, as notification rules include disclosing "any other name you are known by". It doesn't matter whether the SHPO mentions usernames or not.

Also my SHPO includes a catch all clause which says I must not refuse to disclose any details of my "internet activity". So vaguely worded, it can mean anything the PPU wants it to. By writing it as a negative requirement - 'must not refuse' - they can get around the current restrictions on not requiring positive actions. This is very common in SHPOs. Must not refuse to allow the PPU to inspect your devices, for example, is a positive action, disguised as a negative.
Mark15788
Mark15788
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)

I’ve never been asked for usernames for sites, logins, etc, they would be there all day recording them all.
punter99
punter99
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)

You may not be asked directly for usernames. But in the notification rules it talks about any "other names you are known by".  It doesn't say specifically whether this includes names you are only known by online, such as usernames, email addresses etc.  But when I discussed it with my second PPU, their interpretation of this wording is that it does include usernames. The first PPU never mentioned this to me at all, so I could well have been in breach of the law for ages, without knowing it.

So it will depend on how your individual PPU interprets the meaning of the phrase "other names you are known by". 
Simon1983
Simon1983
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)

Total agree it is the point i make all the time how we are all told different things we are left wide open in the eyes of the law. As somebody that is studying law at the moment i have spent time trying to see where some of this confusion stems from and my initial thoughts are that this document is the cause and the changes that came about in 2012
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/755142/11.18guidanceonpart2ofthesexualoffencesact2003.pdf

Simon1983
Simon1983
Supreme Being

The above document was published in 2018 and under the notification section states the phrase online user names in brackets, if you then look at section 83 and 84 of the SOA 2003 it makes no reference to online names, only reference to legal name you are known by, one would argue that an online user name is not your legal name. (Open for discussion) this is why some PPU officers think they can ask and some believe they cant. The Act is the law, a guide is not law.

GO