theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Sex Offenders Annual Registration Help

Sex Offenders Annual Registration Help

Author
Mark15788
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Well according to what I’ve been told on here and by various officers.

I did my first annual notification in May 2018.

Bought a new laptop, registered that Dec 2018, that reset me to next notification been Dec 2019.

However in August 2019 my mobile upgrade was due, so registered that so that reset me to August 2020.

Then I had a change of circumstances in Dec 2019 so that got reported.

This is where I got confused and wanted to check so asked on here. I thought I’d have to do annual notification in April/May 2020 but was told because I’d reported a change in Dec 2019 it was reset to Dec 2020 and this was confirmed in a text and a letter.

So I’m going on what the past has happened and because I did a report of new device in Oct 2020 I’m reset to Oct 2021.

In theory if you had changes of circumstances or reporting of devices to do regularly than yes you would never do another full notification.
JASB
JASB
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
punter99 - 18 Nov 20 11:02 AM
Mark15788 - 18 Nov 20 10:02 AM
I forgot about this thread. In terms of what I was asking. I thought my annual notification would have been April but was told December. This was further confirmed in a letter on headed paper that it would be December this year which was sent when COVID hit us all as my force sent letters with regards to what police stations were open and included dates as a reminder. Safe to say April has long passed us and I’ve had no one turn around and say I elapsed. I registered a new phone in October so again I don’t need to attend next month as this resets me again until October 2021.

Does a small change in circs reset the annual notification? If it does then you could just report change of circs and never need to do a full annual notification ever again.
For example. First annual registration is Jan 2020, next one due Jan 2021. But in December 2020, you report a new credit card, that resets your annual from Jan 2021 to December 2021. In November 2021, you report another new credit card, resetting the annual notification from December 2021 to Nov 2022.

Hi
I love the concept but the changes you mention or in fact any changes are acted upon as if it is the annual registration or more simply put, I have informed them of a CC change but still had to take all required documentation to validation. It is that requirement that allows the resetting of the annual registration date.

Put another way , this process maintains our visits to once a year - in theory unless other details change of course - and reduces their workload.
Keep safe

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope is for tomorrow else what is left if you remove a mans hope.
JASB
JASB
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)

Mark15788 - 18 Nov 20 1:02 PM
Well according to what I’ve been told on here and by various officers. I did my first annual notification in May 2018. Bought a new laptop, registered that Dec 2018, that reset me to next notification been Dec 2019. However in August 2019 my mobile upgrade was due, so registered that so that reset me to August 2020. Then I had a change of circumstances in Dec 2019 so that got reported. This is where I got confused and wanted to check so asked on here. I thought I’d have to do annual notification in April/May 2020 but was told because I’d reported a change in Dec 2019 it was reset to Dec 2020 and this was confirmed in a text and a letter. So I’m going on what the past has happened and because I did a report of new device in Oct 2020 I’m reset to Oct 2021. In theory if you had changes of circumstances or reporting of devices to do regularly than yes you would never do another full notification.

Hi
Please read my previous answer to punter99 as slight changes are handled under full registration requirements so your's and punter99 suggestion is wrong I am afraid. That is unless your Area works differently to 2 areas I have reported to.

The resetting of registration date is correct though.

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope is for tomorrow else what is left if you remove a mans hope.
AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)

JASB - 18 Nov 20 1:05 PM
I forgot about this thread. In terms of what I was asking. I thought my annual notification would have been April but was told December. This was further confirmed in a letter on headed paper that it would be December this year which was sent when COVID hit us all as my force sent letters with regards to what police stations were open and included dates as a reminder. Safe to say April has long passed us and I’ve had no one turn around and say I elapsed. I registered a new phone in October so again I don’t need to attend next month as this resets me again until October 2021.

Does a small change in circs reset the annual notification? If it does then you could just report change of circs and never need to do a full annual notification ever again.
For example. First annual registration is Jan 2020, next one due Jan 2021. But in December 2020, you report a new credit card, that resets your annual from Jan 2021 to December 2021. In November 2021, you report another new credit card, resetting the annual notification from December 2021 to Nov 2022.

Hi
I love the concept but the changes you mention or in fact any changes are acted upon as if it is the annual registration or more simply put, I have informed them of a CC change but still had to take all required documentation to validation. It is that requirement that allows the resetting of the annual registration date.

Put another way , this process maintains our visits to once a year - in theory unless other details change of course - and reduces their workload.
Keep safe

I think the key to sorting out all the confusion is that the SOA refers to it as periodic notification, not annual. You have to do your notification at least every 12 months. So, if your change of circumstances is something that would involve a trip to the police station, that resets the 12-month timer. If it's just something you need to tell them or show them, without them having to fill in the form, that's not technically a notification. For example, when I told them of my new debit card to replace the old one with the same account numbers, that didn't count as a registration and didn't affect my periodic registration date. I know that it could have been dealt with by a trip to the police station and 15 minutes in the interview room with a member of civilian staff, and if I had done that then it would have counted as a new registration. When I gave them the address where I was going on holiday, that did count and it did reset the timer.

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

Mark15788
Mark15788
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)

I did read the previous answer.

However every time I have reported a change and a new device they always complete a new form.

I’ve always been advised this reset the date and in the (nearly) 3 years I’ve had no issues, arrests or complaints.

Maybe areas do work differently. I don’t know.
AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)

Mark15788 - 19 Nov 20 10:05 AM
I did read the previous answer. However every time I have reported a change and a new device they always complete a new form. I’ve always been advised this reset the date and in the (nearly) 3 years I’ve had no issues, arrests or complaints. Maybe areas do work differently. I don’t know.

They certainly do work differently, as we have seen on here. If they fill in the form, that is a new notification and starts the 12-month timer again.

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

JASB
JASB
Supreme Being

AB2014 - 19 Nov 20 9:47 AM
JASB - 18 Nov 20 1:05 PM

Hi

Keep safe

I think the key to sorting out all the confusion is that the SOA refers to it as periodic notification, not annual. You have to do your notification at least every 12 months. So, if your change of circumstances is something that would involve a trip to the police station, that resets the 12-month timer. If it's just something you need to tell them or show them, without them having to fill in the form, that's not technically a notification. For example, when I told them of my new debit card to replace the old one with the same account numbers, that didn't count as a registration and didn't affect my periodic registration date. I know that it could have been dealt with by a trip to the police station and 15 minutes in the interview room with a member of civilian staff, and if I had done that then it would have counted as a new registration. When I gave them the address where I was going on holiday, that did count and it did reset the timer.

Hi
We are both agreeing as the answer is non-conforming areas lol. The examples you give have always raised the completion of a new form in the areas I have lived. 
Maybe they like talking to me and want to hear my voice... lol Smile

khafka
khafka
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)

For what it is worth. Here is my very recent experience with my annual registration in Scotland.

I first went onto the register in December 2019. I just emailed my PPU to check if I can just pop by around the day I'm due or if I need to make an appointment (I have a court review the day before so thought since I'd be in that area I could do two birds with one stone).

His reply was that I'm not actually due to update them again until June 2021 as in June 2020 I updated them with some usernames and stuff I use online so this has reset my clock.

This might seem a silly question but how does it work in terms of the sentencing? I was sentenced to 3 years on the register so theoretically I'd be off it in December 2022 but if it reset in June would that extend it for another ~6 months until the year rolls round or will it still end in December 2022 regardless?

Was
Was
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)

khafka - 21 Nov 20 12:51 AM
For what it is worth. Here is my very recent experience with my annual registration in Scotland.

I first went onto the register in December 2019. I just emailed my PPU to check if I can just pop by around the day I'm due or if I need to make an appointment (I have a court review the day before so thought since I'd be in that area I could do two birds with one stone).

His reply was that I'm not actually due to update them again until June 2021 as in June 2020 I updated them with some usernames and stuff I use online so this has reset my clock.

This might seem a silly question but how does it work in terms of the sentencing? I was sentenced to 3 years on the register so theoretically I'd be off it in December 2022 but if it reset in June would that extend it for another ~6 months until the year rolls round or will it still end in December 2022 regardless?

It ends at the time it is due to end according to the court, which will be December 2022.

The reset is just for the notification requirement. It is not a 12 month extension.
Mark15788
Mark15788
Supreme Being

Quick question.

I saw a discussion on another site about this subject matter.

I think I give the right advice.

If for example someone notified last year on 1st December let’s say. They don’t have to notify this year on the exact same date do they? They can can go early, say 29th November if they chose to? As long as it was before the full 12 months ending?
GO