theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

I was wrongfully arrested and had my items seized- What now?

I was wrongfully arrested and had my items seized- What now?

Author
Chesire
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (4K reputation)Supreme Being (4K reputation)Supreme Being (4K reputation)Supreme Being (4K reputation)Supreme Being (4K reputation)Supreme Being (4K reputation)Supreme Being (4K reputation)Supreme Being (4K reputation)Supreme Being (4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
punter99 - 4 Apr 22 2:25 PM
I get that it is frustrating and we have all been there, in terms of waiting for the police to return devices.

I agree that it should not take 90 days to examine a laptop and it wouldn't, if the police were looking at it every single day. But that isn't what is happening. Your device is sitting in an evidence room, in a police station somewhere and most likely nobody is looking at it at all. There is a very long queue of devices waiting to be forensically examined.

Your laptop is not the only one the police have to analyse. It is one of hundreds, that the police want to examine and there are hundreds of other people, just like you, who are waiting to get their devices back. Your laptop has already been through the queue once and you are unlucky, because it is now back in that queue for a second time.

I agree with Dan, that the best thing you can do, is get on with your life. Buy another laptop and try to forget about it.

But if you want to do something, my advice would be to make a nuisance of yourself. Write to your MP, or to the Chief Constable. Ring the police station once every day and ask to speak to the officer in charge of your case (oic), or better still, go down to the police station every day and ask to speak to the oic in person.

The first few times that you do this, the police will try to fob you off with excuses. They will tell you that the oic is going to ring you and then the oic won't ring. Don't let this put you off though. If you go down to the police station, they may tell you that the oic is not available to speak to you. If they do this, then do not get angry. Just tell them politely that you will come back the next day, and the next day, and the day after that.

The key is to be persistent. You might have to keep going to the police station every day, for a few weeks, before they decide to do anything. But eventually, they will get sick and tired of seeing you and then they might just bump your laptop to the front of the queue, in order to get rid of you.

Personally, I wouldn't go to all this trouble myself, but it sounds like getting your laptop back is really important to you, so you should be prepared to make the effort.

Writing to your MP will get definately a response from the police, because although they don't mind keeping you waiting for months, they would never dream of keeping an MP waiting that long. Letters from MPs are always given high priority. But bear in mind that it may not be the response you want. They may just write back to the MP saying that your laptop is in a queue and they will get to it when they can.

And the most important thing of all, is to never let the police see how angry you are. Always be polite to them, no matter what they say to you, because that way they cannot accuse you of being 'difficult', and use that as a reason to not return your laptop.

It's been well over 90 days now so there should be no more excuses, I'm not waiting anymore years. No more excuses, no more waiting, I want answers from these pigs. So far, I've heard nothing and have just reached out to my solicitor recently.
Chesire
Chesire
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (4K reputation)Supreme Being (4K reputation)Supreme Being (4K reputation)Supreme Being (4K reputation)Supreme Being (4K reputation)Supreme Being (4K reputation)Supreme Being (4K reputation)Supreme Being (4K reputation)Supreme Being (4K reputation)

Chesire - 3 May 22 4:52 AM
I get that it is frustrating and we have all been there, in terms of waiting for the police to return devices.

I agree that it should not take 90 days to examine a laptop and it wouldn't, if the police were looking at it every single day. But that isn't what is happening. Your device is sitting in an evidence room, in a police station somewhere and most likely nobody is looking at it at all. There is a very long queue of devices waiting to be forensically examined.

Your laptop is not the only one the police have to analyse. It is one of hundreds, that the police want to examine and there are hundreds of other people, just like you, who are waiting to get their devices back. Your laptop has already been through the queue once and you are unlucky, because it is now back in that queue for a second time.

I agree with Dan, that the best thing you can do, is get on with your life. Buy another laptop and try to forget about it.

But if you want to do something, my advice would be to make a nuisance of yourself. Write to your MP, or to the Chief Constable. Ring the police station once every day and ask to speak to the officer in charge of your case (oic), or better still, go down to the police station every day and ask to speak to the oic in person.

The first few times that you do this, the police will try to fob you off with excuses. They will tell you that the oic is going to ring you and then the oic won't ring. Don't let this put you off though. If you go down to the police station, they may tell you that the oic is not available to speak to you. If they do this, then do not get angry. Just tell them politely that you will come back the next day, and the next day, and the day after that.

The key is to be persistent. You might have to keep going to the police station every day, for a few weeks, before they decide to do anything. But eventually, they will get sick and tired of seeing you and then they might just bump your laptop to the front of the queue, in order to get rid of you.

Personally, I wouldn't go to all this trouble myself, but it sounds like getting your laptop back is really important to you, so you should be prepared to make the effort.

Writing to your MP will get definately a response from the police, because although they don't mind keeping you waiting for months, they would never dream of keeping an MP waiting that long. Letters from MPs are always given high priority. But bear in mind that it may not be the response you want. They may just write back to the MP saying that your laptop is in a queue and they will get to it when they can.

And the most important thing of all, is to never let the police see how angry you are. Always be polite to them, no matter what they say to you, because that way they cannot accuse you of being 'difficult', and use that as a reason to not return your laptop.

It's been well over 90 days now so there should be no more excuses, I'm not waiting anymore years. No more excuses, no more waiting, I want answers from these pigs. So far, I've heard nothing and have just reached out to my solicitor recently.

I've tried reaching out to my solicitor but she hasn't responded in months. Also I've not had any update yet regarding whether or not I'm going to be charged.
Chesire
Chesire
Supreme Being

Chesire - 12 May 22 1:20 AM

I've tried reaching out to my solicitor but she hasn't responded in months. Also I've not had any update yet regarding whether or not I'm going to be charged.

I've just recieved a letter from the police telling me they no longer need the property and that I can come to collect it, there was no mention of whether or not I am to be charged. I suppose that's good news.
AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (161K reputation)Supreme Being (161K reputation)Supreme Being (161K reputation)Supreme Being (161K reputation)Supreme Being (161K reputation)Supreme Being (161K reputation)Supreme Being (161K reputation)Supreme Being (161K reputation)Supreme Being (161K reputation)

Chesire - 12 May 22 10:40 AM

I've just recieved a letter from the police telling me they no longer need the property and that I can come to collect it, there was no mention of whether or not I am to be charged. I suppose that's good news.

I'd say that's excellent news, as at least you'll get your stuff back, and if there was anything illegal on it, they wouldn't be returning it to you. You might get a separate notification about their next steps, but as they are effectively saying they have no evidence, that must be the end of it. If you have a set date to return to the police, then they might make you wait until then. If you don't have a set date, then just try and get on with your life. If they've been trying to get a rise out of you, then that's the last little bit of leverage they have, so I'd say just let them get on with it.

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

Chesire
Chesire
Supreme Being

AB2014 - 12 May 22 11:37 AM

I'd say that's excellent news, as at least you'll get your stuff back, and if there was anything illegal on it, they wouldn't be returning it to you. You might get a separate notification about their next steps, but as they are effectively saying they have no evidence, that must be the end of it. If you have a set date to return to the police, then they might make you wait until then. If you don't have a set date, then just try and get on with your life. If they've been trying to get a rise out of you, then that's the last little bit of leverage they have, so I'd say just let them get on with it.

I have gotten my laptop back yesterday but it turns out it is damaged because the hard drive is corrupt and there is no way to fix it. I have made a formal complaint to the professional standards department about this as well as mentioning that the arrest they did was unlawful, etc.
xDanx
xDanx
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)

Chesire - 26 May 22 7:54 PM

I have gotten my laptop back yesterday but it turns out it is damaged because the hard drive is corrupt and there is no way to fix it. I have made a formal complaint to the professional standards department about this as well as mentioning that the arrest they did was unlawful, etc.

A youtuber named BlackBeltBarrister had something in one of his videos highlighting a place you can go to and contact relating to complaints to the Police, I have tried to find which video this was mentioned in but so far, I can not find the exact video. You may also want to forward a Subject Access Request and ask for all paper work relevant to yourself and also any body camera footage or audio clips, I believe you mentioned a number of officers clearly stated that the image you shared was clearly not you?

Now that this investigation is at an end for you, as difficult as it has been. Now you can proceed with the complaints and if need be legal action

I wish you all the best and if able, keep us updated

Chesire
Chesire
Supreme Being

xDanx - 27 May 22 12:46 AM

A youtuber named BlackBeltBarrister had something in one of his videos highlighting a place you can go to and contact relating to complaints to the Police, I have tried to find which video this was mentioned in but so far, I can not find the exact video. You may also want to forward a Subject Access Request and ask for all paper work relevant to yourself and also any body camera footage or audio clips, I believe you mentioned a number of officers clearly stated that the image you shared was clearly not you?

Now that this investigation is at an end for you, as difficult as it has been. Now you can proceed with the complaints and if need be legal action

Thanks dude. I've already sent my complaint via email to Professional Standards Department with the filled out form. Next will be the others..
Chesire
Chesire
Supreme Being

Chesire - 29 May 22 1:42 AM

Thanks dude. I've already sent my complaint via email to Professional Standards Department with the filled out form. Next will be the others..

So to provide you all with an update, Police replied via email with a list of poor excuses to justify their incompetence for my wrongful arrest. Obviously when this happened, I didn't handle it too well but obviously wasn't surprised by the outcome because on the outset it's merely Police investigating Police. At the end of the day, they don't want to admit they did wrong, they know they did wrong but they don't want to come clean and admit it flat out. Back in August of this year I appealed the complaint via the IOPC and was told via an automated email that the complaint appeal review process could take up to 18-24 weeks in-total, which is a lot of time. So far, I haven't been informed of anything recently but thought I'd just make anyone wondering aware. Failing that, I will go to Citizens advice and see what they will have to say about this absolute catastrophe the Police Force has created overall out of their sheer negligence and disregard for the wrongfully accused. If that doesn't work, I will contact any solicitor I will get my hands on, and if that doesn't work, I will go directly to my local press and make this matter public. I have a very big mouth despite my shyness and introverted nature and I just wont let this matter slide until I either get an apology and reimbursement for the hard drive they damaged when they seized my laptop.
Chesire
Chesire
Supreme Being

Chesire - 14 Nov 22 12:43 PM

So to provide you all with an update, Police replied via email with a list of poor excuses to justify their incompetence for my wrongful arrest. Obviously when this happened, I didn't handle it too well but obviously wasn't surprised by the outcome because on the outset it's merely Police investigating Police. At the end of the day, they don't want to admit they did wrong, they know they did wrong but they don't want to come clean and admit it flat out. Back in August of this year I appealed the complaint via the IOPC and was told via an automated email that the complaint appeal review process could take up to 18-24 weeks in-total, which is a lot of time. So far, I haven't been informed of anything recently but thought I'd just make anyone wondering aware. Failing that, I will go to Citizens advice and see what they will have to say about this absolute catastrophe the Police Force has created overall out of their sheer negligence and disregard for the wrongfully accused. If that doesn't work, I will contact any solicitor I will get my hands on, and if that doesn't work, I will go directly to my local press and make this matter public. I have a very big mouth despite my shyness and introverted nature and I just wont let this matter slide until I either get an apology and reimbursement for the hard drive they damaged when they seized my laptop.

The fact of the matter is that what they did was an abuse of police powers and they had no right to arrest me, common sense dictates that I wasn't the suspect they were looking for because I clearly didn't match the visual description of the efit, this is confirmed by the fact that no witnesses mentioned the person having ridiculously long hair, but instead said the person had very short hair. On top of that, a lot of things contribute to my reasoning behind why it wasn't me in the first place and really based on the photos I've posted, there really isn't much of an explanation needed. At the end of the day I haven't been charged with anything, they've returned my stuff, but they damaged the laptops hard drive (which I'm not particularly happy about of course) 
The Police Force has made irreparable damage to my mental health and has made me lose respect and trust for them.

JASB
JASB
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
Chesire - 14 Nov 22 12:55 PM
Chesire - 14 Nov 22 12:43 PM

The fact of the matter is that what they did was an abuse of police powers and they had no right to arrest me, common sense dictates that I wasn't the suspect they were looking for because I clearly didn't match the visual description of the efit, this is confirmed by the fact that no witnesses mentioned the person having ridiculously long hair, but instead said the person had very short hair. On top of that, a lot of things contribute to my reasoning behind why it wasn't me in the first place and really based on the photos I've posted, there really isn't much of an explanation needed. At the end of the day I haven't been charged with anything, they've returned my stuff, but they damaged the laptops hard drive (which I'm not particularly happy about of course) 
The Police Force has made irreparable damage to my mental health and has made me lose respect and trust for them.

Hi
Take my words as positive please.
First you have the result you wanted in that you have been recognised as innocent.

Secondly, if you step back and look at what has happened from their perspective they are just following their procedures or lines of investigation. Whether their actions where correct is a separate discussion and on what I have read plus my own experience has shown is yes they are could be seen as at fault.

You mention hair for example, how easy is it for a short haired individual to put a wig on?
An efit is a "memory" so you cant expect to see a photo like resemblance.
Equipment being damaged: it will be hard; especially without a solicitor, to get any acceptance of guilt. I couldn't.

In the end try to view this non-emotionally as you will only cause further emotional damage to yourself and find it harder to move on; which you must do.
To be brutally honest if you feel they have damaged you go and get actual medical evidence and raise a complaint against them. 

Else transfer the feelings and wasted energy against them to rebuilding yourself so you can move on.

Good luck with your future.

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope is for tomorrow else what is left if you remove a mans hope.
GO