theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Selling new game consoles/computers with an S.O?

Selling new game consoles/computers with an S.O?

Author
JamesZ
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (7.5K reputation)Supreme Being (7.5K reputation)Supreme Being (7.5K reputation)Supreme Being (7.5K reputation)Supreme Being (7.5K reputation)Supreme Being (7.5K reputation)Supreme Being (7.5K reputation)Supreme Being (7.5K reputation)Supreme Being (7.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Hi. So I recently saw an opportunity of reselling new computers and consoles online for profit. Not sure if this is a really bad idea/allowed? I have an S.O for images, but only was looking at selling brand new items that apparently sell well. I obviously realize it might be a problem,  almost didn't want to ask, but   with money being hard to come by and with a good amount of potential profit-  Just thought it was worth asking. Thanks.
xDanx
xDanx
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)

JamesZ - 30 Sep 22 6:32 AM
Hi. So I recently saw an opportunity of reselling new computers and consoles online for profit. Not sure if this is a really bad idea/allowed? I have an S.O for images, but only was looking at selling brand new items that apparently sell well. I obviously realize it might be a problem,  almost didn't want to ask, but   with money being hard to come by and with a good amount of potential profit-  Just thought it was worth asking. Thanks.

If your SHPO states you must inform them of all devices purchased you may have to comply with the order (which shouldn't be on any SHPO due to it being considered a positive action which is not allowed on SHPO's)
I do not think it would be much of an issue as even if you are expected to inform them of your purchases they can then choose if they wish to inspect those devices or not after explaining your intentions. Plus they may just simply let it slide because your constantly informing them every day of the week and might simply leave you to it and tell you to stop informing them. But keep in mind, A device to the police / courts is something that can 1, can browse and retain internet history. 2, has its own storage capacity where images and videos can be saved. Items such as graphics cards does not function alone and so would not be able to retain information they are wanting to see.

If your SHPO does not include anything stating that you must inform them of any new devices, you are not obligated to do so. You are free to buy and sell anything you wish so long as you: 1, do not use the web browser. 2. use or store anything on hard drives such as images / videos or anything that retains internet history. If they turn up to do their inspections and ask to see your devices and what devices you have, that is when you make what devices you have in your possession available and they can decide what to look at or not. you are technically under no obligation to share with them items you have sold.

Life is generally much easier just keeping your PPU informed regardless just to save any potential issues or mis-understandings but depending on the wording of your SHPO determines what information you do or do not have to share. The choice ultimately is yours

Was
Was
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)

Bear in mind that a PPU will often interpret any condition with prejudice. Mine was clear that I had to inform within 3 days of getting a device, but my PPO used the clause saying I could not use a device without monitoring software as overriding it and if I switched it on to set it up during those 3 days, I'd be in breach. After that I just had everything delivered to the police station unopened and told them to set them up. They were stumped when I got a Windows phone. 

Also keep in mind that smart TVs/Firesticks/Now boxes etc. also often come with web browsers and WiFi connections, so you need to inform them of those as well.
JamesZ
JamesZ
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (7.5K reputation)Supreme Being (7.5K reputation)Supreme Being (7.5K reputation)Supreme Being (7.5K reputation)Supreme Being (7.5K reputation)Supreme Being (7.5K reputation)Supreme Being (7.5K reputation)Supreme Being (7.5K reputation)Supreme Being (7.5K reputation)

Was - 30 Sep 22 10:07 AM
Bear in mind that a PPU will often interpret any condition with prejudice. Mine was clear that I had to inform within 3 days of getting a device, but my PPO used the clause saying I could not use a device without monitoring software as overriding it and if I switched it on to set it up during those 3 days, I'd be in breach. After that I just had everything delivered to the police station unopened and told them to set them up. They were stumped when I got a Windows phone. 

Also keep in mind that smart TVs/Firesticks/Now boxes etc. also often come with web browsers and WiFi connections, so you need to inform them of those as well.

JamesZ
JamesZ
Supreme Being

JamesZ - 30 Sep 22 12:19 PM
Was - 30 Sep 22 10:07 AM

Thank you guys. Yes it was purely with the intention of selling them and not using them. I could stick to things like graphic cards, just less profits overall.bIll read through my SHPO again. Thanks
Was
Was
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)

JamesZ - 30 Sep 22 12:22 PM
Thank you guys. Yes it was purely with the intention of selling them and not using them. I could stick to things like graphic cards, just less profits overall.bIll read through my SHPO again. Thanks

I do think there is profit in breaking down old devices and selling the components in eBay. Memory is a good one. The prices of "legacy" stock is way out of proportion when buying from places like Crucial/Kinsgston etc compared with their actual worth. Just make sure that you describe the components accurately. Use something like Crucial Laptop Ram & Memory for Computers | Crucial.com to check whether the buyer is actually getting the right stuff.

JamesZ
JamesZ
Supreme Being

Was - 30 Sep 22 4:33 PM

I do think there is profit in breaking down old devices and selling the components in eBay. Memory is a good one. The prices of "legacy" stock is way out of proportion when buying from places like Crucial/Kinsgston etc compared with their actual worth. Just make sure that you describe the components accurately. Use something like Crucial Laptop Ram & Memory for Computers | Crucial.com to check whether the buyer is actually getting the right stuff.

Good idea. Thanks
JASB
JASB
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (101K reputation)Supreme Being (101K reputation)Supreme Being (101K reputation)Supreme Being (101K reputation)Supreme Being (101K reputation)Supreme Being (101K reputation)Supreme Being (101K reputation)Supreme Being (101K reputation)Supreme Being (101K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
JamesZ - 30 Sep 22 6:32 AM

Hi
Have you considered a business plan that allows you to sell but the items are shipped direct from your supplier source? Or even via a distribution point you have no access to?
This means you are not handling e.g. opening the boxes. Show the PPU the plan to show your intention to work within any and all conditions imposed. This approach at least should gain you smarty points and if your documentation is available, even harder for the PPU to say otherwise.

The road to your destination is not always along one path

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope is for tomorrow else what is left if you remove a mans hope.
JASB
JASB
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (101K reputation)Supreme Being (101K reputation)Supreme Being (101K reputation)Supreme Being (101K reputation)Supreme Being (101K reputation)Supreme Being (101K reputation)Supreme Being (101K reputation)Supreme Being (101K reputation)Supreme Being (101K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation

Hi
I agree with the concept but if the PPU have serious issues with an individual, items like RAM for example can hold data as they are never really cleaned (except with special software.)

So speaking on a broader sense, if you are considering this concept, it would be wise to seriously research how you can "certify" them "clean" and include it in your "written business plan" if you show it to the PPU. 

Unfortunately even though HM Inspectorate of Probation  say 
Indeed, those who are deemed lower risk have measured reoffending risks similar to the general population

We are not the general public and so have to go that extra step; even when innocent.

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope is for tomorrow else what is left if you remove a mans hope.
xDanx
xDanx
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)

JASB - 11 Oct 22 11:07 AM

Hi
I agree with the concept but if the PPU have serious issues with an individual, items like RAM for example can hold data as they are never really cleaned (except with special software.)

So speaking on a broader sense, if you are considering this concept, it would be wise to seriously research how you can "certify" them "clean" and include it in your "written business plan" if you show it to the PPU. 

Unfortunately even though HM Inspectorate of Probation  say 
Indeed, those who are deemed lower risk have measured reoffending risks similar to the general population

We are not the general public and so have to go that extra step; even when innocent.

Although RAM does in fact save data to its chips, once power is removed (shutdown) the data that was on the RAM is no longer there and to my knowledge can not be recovered. The data RAM stores is mostly used for the CPU in order for it to process applications which the operating system needs in order to function, which requires a source of data such as a hard drive, USB or SSD where data can be stored.

"cleaning" storage devices on the other hand could potentially cause issues if this is done before the PPU get the chance to "inspect" said device. Given most in our circumstances with SHPO's in place prevent deleting internet history. PPU will use this against you.
PPU have arrested individuals for breaches many times for simply using applications like "CC Cleaner" which is primarily used to remove unwanted registry and driver data from your operating system and has no effect on internet history. But the courts still sentence this as a breach and only shows how out dated the justice system is. That or these individuals had very poor defense.

As I said in a previous post, if your SHPO states you must inform of new devices then it is your choice to either provide those details and have them ready for inspection, or you take the order back to court to challenge it quoting the Smith vs R court of appeal.
If the SHPO does not state to inform of new devices then you are under no obligation to tell them anything, other than if they ask what devices you have currently in your possession and allow them to be inspected when they visit.

GO