theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Getting vehicle and Home contents insurance - 4 mths left before spent

Getting vehicle and Home contents insurance - 4 mths left before spent...

Author
JASB
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (99K reputation)Supreme Being (99K reputation)Supreme Being (99K reputation)Supreme Being (99K reputation)Supreme Being (99K reputation)Supreme Being (99K reputation)Supreme Being (99K reputation)Supreme Being (99K reputation)Supreme Being (99K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
Hi
For info my offence becomes spent in Sept Smile

Unfortuantely I need to renew my vehicle insurance and now obtain my home contents insurance.

Last year LV gave me my vehicle insurance and said they are not bothered with unspent convictions unless its for "financial fraud". 
This year I've shopped around with dismay. LV wanted £400 which is an increase, other firms wanted circa £280 but then asked if any unspent which changed it to circa £1400!!

LV told me if I took me Home Contents with them I would get another 10% discount of both policies (Multi Cover policy) so I went through getting a quote.
Bearing in mind I did not have to declare on the vehicle insurance, it came as a shock to have to declare on contents! I asked why and they repeated not necessary on vehicle but contents takes a different view. I didn't declare (I knew I would not go forward with it) but I wanted to get an idea of cost. This multi cover turns out a laugh as well, as instead of getting 10% reduction on the vehicle it went up by about 20% !! The only explanation they could offer was because it was a new vehicle quote???

So to round it all up with only a few months left of my needing to declare, it seems I still would get discriminated against, and they would have my conviction on record for eternity! So logic says that being "unspent" may still cause higher payments because some may have my conviction noted still, or have learnt about it when checking my details with other areas!!!

Note: SIS who are a broker in Unlock's list a very high quote and had retained my details (conviction) from a few years back when I made an enquiry about insurance!!!

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope is for tomorrow else what is left if you remove a mans hope.
AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
JASB - 15 May 23 12:51 PM
Hi

Unfortuantely I need to renew my vehicle insurance and now obtain my home contents insurance.

Last year LV gave me my vehicle insurance and said they are not bothered with unspent convictions unless its for "financial fraud". 
This year I've shopped around with dismay. LV wanted £400 which is an increase, other firms wanted circa £280 but then asked if any unspent which changed it to circa £1400!!

LV told me if I took me Home Contents with them I would get another 10% discount of both policies (Multi Cover policy) so I went through getting a quote.
Bearing in mind I did not have to declare on the vehicle insurance, it came as a shock to have to declare on contents! I asked why and they repeated not necessary on vehicle but contents takes a different view. I didn't declare (I knew I would not go forward with it) but I wanted to get an idea of cost. This multi cover turns out a laugh as well, as instead of getting 10% reduction on the vehicle it went up by about 20% !! The only explanation they could offer was because it was a new vehicle quote???

So to round it all up with only a few months left of my needing to declare, it seems I still would get discriminated against, and they would have my conviction on record for eternity! So logic says that being "unspent" may still cause higher payments because some may have my conviction noted still, or have learnt about it when checking my details with other areas!!!

Note: SIS who are a broker in Unlock's list a very high quote and had retained my details (conviction) from a few years back when I made an enquiry about insurance!!!

Are you sure that your conviction is still unspent? If you've gone past the rehabilitation period for your prison sentence, then as your order has ended, your conviction would be spent. Being on the SOR doesn't keep your conviction unspent!

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

Blueman202
Blueman202
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (6.5K reputation)Supreme Being (6.5K reputation)Supreme Being (6.5K reputation)Supreme Being (6.5K reputation)Supreme Being (6.5K reputation)Supreme Being (6.5K reputation)Supreme Being (6.5K reputation)Supreme Being (6.5K reputation)Supreme Being (6.5K reputation)

Hi

I was with LV for car insurance last year didn't have to declare wanted to get a new quote at renewal to see if changing a few bits around and was asked about convictions would have been fine to auto renew but not a new policy I went with privilege in the end I think as they where cheaper I think LV has been removed from the unlock insurance list now.

Blueman202
Blueman202
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (6.5K reputation)Supreme Being (6.5K reputation)Supreme Being (6.5K reputation)Supreme Being (6.5K reputation)Supreme Being (6.5K reputation)Supreme Being (6.5K reputation)Supreme Being (6.5K reputation)Supreme Being (6.5K reputation)Supreme Being (6.5K reputation)

Hi

I was with LV for car insurance last year didn't have to declare wanted to get a new quote at renewal to see if changing a few bits around and was asked about convictions would have been fine to auto renew but not a new policy I went with privilege in the end I think as they where cheaper I think LV has been removed from the unlock insurance list now. In regards to them having you convictions on record ask them to do a gdpr deletion as they aren't relevant as they are spent.

AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)

Blueman202 - 16 May 23 9:07 AM
Hi

I was with LV for car insurance last year didn't have to declare wanted to get a new quote at renewal to see if changing a few bits around and was asked about convictions would have been fine to auto renew but not a new policy I went with privilege in the end I think as they where cheaper I think LV has been removed from the unlock insurance list now. In regards to them having you convictions on record ask them to do a gdpr deletion as they aren't relevant as they are spent.

Yes, LV has been removed from Unlock's list of motor insurers. Sadly, all home insurers still ask about unspent convictions, so if they're unspent, you'll have to disclose. If they are spent then, as you say, you can ask them to delete the information and confirm that they have done it. If anyone is unsure whether their convictions are unspent, they can ask Unlock or use their disclosure calculator.

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

Mr W
Mr W
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)

I don't know if this helps but cancelling a policy mid-contract might only cost about £50 and then you could get some money back? Then start a new one when you no longer have to declare. Usually it's not worth it, but if you're talking £1400 it might be.

=====
Fighting or Accepting - its difficult to know which is right and when.
JASB
JASB
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (99K reputation)Supreme Being (99K reputation)Supreme Being (99K reputation)Supreme Being (99K reputation)Supreme Being (99K reputation)Supreme Being (99K reputation)Supreme Being (99K reputation)Supreme Being (99K reputation)Supreme Being (99K reputation)

AB2014 - 15 May 23 1:03 PM
Hi

Are you sure that your conviction is still unspent? If you've gone past the rehabilitation period for your prison sentence, then as your order has ended, your conviction would be spent. Being on the SOR doesn't keep your conviction unspent!

Hi
as I was given 4 years in Sept 2012, so 7 yeras starts in Sept 2016 then everything says Sept 2023 Sad(

Unless I am completly wrong; we could hope as not the first time lol

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope is for tomorrow else what is left if you remove a mans hope.
JASB
JASB
Supreme Being

Blueman202 - 16 May 23 9:04 AM
Hi

I was with LV for car insurance last year didn't have to declare wanted to get a new quote at renewal to see if changing a few bits around and was asked about convictions would have been fine to auto renew but not a new policy I went with privilege in the end I think as they where cheaper I think LV has been removed from the unlock insurance list now.

Hi
I have talked about the renewal they gave, got a deduction then had to talk to the "multi cover" staff and they asked due to home contents insurance. I questioned and they confirmed again.
Interestingly one broker who I declared to started asking about the "words in the charge", details about the event and THEN said insurance companies wanted to know the age of the female. I hadn't gave any of my personal details so challenged all the questions in the same manner they were asked, bluntly!!

GO