theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Rejection from Uni to study due to convictions...advice needed

Rejection from Uni to study due to convictions...advice needed

Author
RunningMan
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
*UPDATE #5*
Just got back from the meeting. It went extremely well; they asked positive questions with a focus on seeing the bigger picture of who I am as well as considering any potential risk and how it might be managed if they offered me a place. I felt a 'warmth' from them and they both seemed to come to the table with genuinely open minds about my past. How refreshing! They did not give an indicator of their recommendations but I picked up that it would be in my favour. However, this is, of course. no guarantee of an offer. That is up to the Vice Chancellor alone. They aim to have a final decision for me by the end of Feb. I will keep you all updated.

Thanks again to you all for reading/posting.

RM
RunningMan
RunningMan
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)

*UPDATE #6*
Great news: I found out this morning that the Vice Chancellor of the University has granted my appeal and I have been offered a place on the Course starting in September. It does come with certain conditions about where I can (and cannot) go but I suppose that was to be expected. Many, many thanks to you all for posting and encouraging and also to Deb S at Unlock who helped review my appeal before I sent it.

RM (with a big smile on his face)
RunningMan
RunningMan
Supreme Being

Hello JohnL

Thanks for your post. The nature of the conditions will probably not come as any surprise: they simply restrict my access to places like the University Creche and Sports Centre. Not really a problem as I want to study - not get a six pack!

The DBS appeal process has been covered well by other folks on the Forum (cut and paste the thread below into your browser - I think you have contributed already).

https://forum.unlock.org.uk/default.aspx?f=39&m=25680&g=27052#m27052

My own experience is very similar. I was notified by what was then called the ISA that I had been included on the Barred Lists and I had a limited period of time to make representations to be removed. They sent through all the documentation they had received to date. This packet can include a wide range of data, from your entry on the PNC to minutes from safeguarding meetings about behaviour, Police interviews and so on. Don't be surprised about how much information they provide and where it comes from - it is all part of the process.

Write a factual, evidence-based document that shows you are not a risk of future offending/recidivism. Don't write in a whining, 'It's not fair, I've been treated so harshly' tone - they don't care. All they are interested in is assessing any future risk you may pose. All your representations should be geared towards addressing this understandable concern. Make clear you have taken responsibility for your choices and have sought to address your offending behaviour. Give context and where your offending behaviour sits on the sliding scale as defined by Sentencing Guidelines used by both Magistrates and Judges. Was it out of character? Were there other victims? Has there been similar offending in the past? Are you genuinely remorseful? Use reports and insight from external sources if at all possible to corroborate all this. For example, Probation Reports, TVSOC Reports, Therapist reports (I paid to see a private therapist and she was willing to write a detailed reference) as well as character references from people who know you and can help the DBS see the bigger picture of who you are.

Once you have put together your case, ask two or three trusted people to read it with a critical eye. I am sure folks at Unlock would be happy to assist too. This is important - it is all too easy to lose perspective and letting other people see it will help improve your submission and address 'blind spots'. Once you have done that, send it off (registered delivery) and wait and see what comes back.

Remember: the appeal process is there for a reason. Make full use of it. Hope this helps.
RM
RunningMan
RunningMan
Supreme Being

*FINAL UPDATE*

Hello Everyone. Just to confirm that the University sent through a formal offer of a place on the course last week and today I emailed my acceptance. It's official - I'm in. I guess I had a (very irrational) fear that they would change their mind and withdraw the offer - pessimistic I know - so I wanted to wait until I had the formal offer in my hand (or my inbox at least). Now I've got it, it feels real.

I hope my story encourages those of you out there in a similar position. Never, never give up because it will work out for good in the end.

RM
RunningMan
RunningMan
Supreme Being

Hello. I applied to a University to study an HR Course. I have unspent criminal convictions which I declared on my application. Last week I received a short email from them saying that because my offence was 'serious', I was barred. Without going into detail here, my offence was an entry level sexual offence (as defined by the Sentencing Guidelines used by Magistrates). I do not minimise my choices and I recognise that those choices have consequences. Yet, I am defined as being a 'low risk' by Probation, I have the full support of my PPU Officer (he was willing to act as a referee), when the Uni rang him he was able to give a positive report, I have been removed from the DBS Barred Lists as they too do not regard me as a risk and I have been working hard to move forward after some catastrophic mistakes. This is a part time, post grad course so it will be with 18+ students only and I will not be in Halls of Residence.

I have checked online and found some useful guidance from Supporting Professionalism in Admissions (thanks to Unlock for the link) as well as the Uni's own Admissions' Policy. It looks like there might be a possible appeal but is it worth it? I would be interested to hear any advice/feedback from other members, especially if you have had the same experience and succeeded in your appeal.
RunningMan
RunningMan
Supreme Being

*UPDATE #1*
Following people's helpful feedback on this Forum and my own feeling that it was the right thing to do, I appealed the decision to bar me from the University's HR Course. After several weeks of delay as well as a couple of phone calls to University Staff from me, I received an email from their Dean of Students today which stated,

"The decision reached [to bar from me from the Course] took into account the University Code of Conduct and Sanctions and Penalties ... for existing students, although at this time you were not enrolled at the University. The penalty for such an offence would have been immediate and permanent exclusion from the University, the time of the offence and conviction were also taken into account. I have investigated your request for a review and ... I have to consider the student community as a whole. The offence that you have committed is so serious that the University policies and regulations stipulate that expulsion is the penalty for our current students."

I do have an option to appeal to a senior Staff member which I plan to do. Any more helpful advice or thoughts most welcome!
RunningMan
RunningMan
Supreme Being

*UPDATE #2*
A very quick message to let you all know that I sent in my appeal to the University's Vice-Chancellor today. I will keep you all posted and many thanks to those who have left feedback. Thanks also to Deb S from the Unlock Team for the helpful advice and for proof reading the appeal before I sent it.

It's out of my hands now so watch this space and I'll let you know what happens as soon as I do!
RunningMan
RunningMan
Supreme Being

*UPDATE #3*
Today I received a brief letter from the Vice Chancellor which states, "I have asked the University's Secretary and Registrar to reconsider your case after carrying out a full risk assessment." This is a step in the right direction and I should have a final decision from them in January 2016.

Happy Christmas to you all.

RM
RunningMan
RunningMan
Supreme Being

*UPDATE #4*
A new development: today I received an email from the Dean of the University Faculty. He is conducting the risk assessment along with an external staff member ('Mrs X') who is on the Senior Management Team of a local HE College. I was unaware my personal details and all correspondence had been passed on to this third party outside the University. I was also unaware of a meeting that took place between 'Mrs X', the Dean and my PPU Officer as part of this risk assessment. This is a positive development, however, as the PPU Officer is very supportive of my application and even agreed to act as a referee.

The Dean has now invited me to come in for a meeting. He writes, "Mrs [X] and I believe that we should offer you the opportunity to meet with us in order for us to finalise the assessment." I am not sure if this is good news or not. They do seem to be taking the process seriously, following their own written procedures and looking at the facts and evidence surrounding my case. An opportunity to meet with them and for them to see the 'real' me is a huge step in the right direction. I know it is not a guarantee of being offered a place but at least they are approaching this with an open mind. To be honest, though, I do not relish the thought of this meeting - is it going to be akin to a police interview/interrogation? - and wondered if anyone has been through a similar 'risk assessment meeting' and could offer some insight.

Whatever the outcome, it is a positive move on their part. I will let you all know how it goes.

RM
Square
Square
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)

I think you need to appeal again. The response you got sounds pretty damning but is actually quite helpful. The reason for not admitting you is based on:
1. a current student being convicted
2. intimates the safety of the current student body

Part 1 could easily be dismissed by stating that you are not a current student and that a period of time has elapsed. You can also go on to explain that as you have been convicted and undertaken a period of work and are [possibly] no longer being supervised. You could also go onto state that certain agencies (if any) support your application as positive.
Part 2 you may need to think hard about. How can you evidence that the safety of other students are not at risk? Removal from barred lists is one, 18 year old + students is another. If your offence was not a 'contact offence' you could mention that but be very careful about the wording.

You could also offer to meet with the dean to discuss any issues they may have.

Whatever you do I think that before you send off the appeal you need to get someone impartial to read it through. Ask Unlock if they would be willing to do that.
GO