theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Rejection from Uni to study due to convictions...advice needed

Rejection from Uni to study due to convictions...advice needed

Author
Hola
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
I have a similar offence to yours, so without realizing it would think you're being risk assessed every time you see your PPU officer, so think of what questions they and the PO ask you. I'd expect the interview to be similar to your early days under supervision - have you taken responsibility, understand victim empathy ( primary and secondary ), what intervention mechanisms have you got ( even if you don't have any make some up ! ), hobbies, are family supportive, why do you want to do the course ? etc

I suppose also they might ask how you feel being in contact with so many ' young people ' will affect you ? If I were you I'd go ready with an answer to that - won't be alone with them, no longer interested in anything but your own age range, realise your maladaptive thinking etc etc - ie pull out all the learnings / observations from the ISOTP course ( if you did it ? )
Finally I know what DtS means, but I don't think I'd be contrite ... I'd say be accountable but assertive - you have taken responsibility for what happened, been punished ( rightly ) for it, but now you want a fair chance to move on !

GOOD LUCK !
Btur
Btur
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (4.1K reputation)Supreme Being (4.1K reputation)Supreme Being (4.1K reputation)Supreme Being (4.1K reputation)Supreme Being (4.1K reputation)Supreme Being (4.1K reputation)Supreme Being (4.1K reputation)Supreme Being (4.1K reputation)Supreme Being (4.1K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Hi I am thinking of applying for University as a mature student ( Im 56!) and having spoken to a couple of course heads I am confident I would get a place. However I have a conviction for a serious offence. What I would like help with, is if you tick the criminal convictions box, what happens after that? What exactly is the process? Also, I would also be a Google away from being embarrassed.
GO