theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Home Insurance

Home Insurance

Author
CC
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
CC - 23 Sep 20 6:55 PM
JASB - 23 Sep 20 4:51 PM
CC - 21 Sep 20 10:19 PM
JASB - 21 Sep 20 10:46 AM
[quote]
Greyfhaer - 21 Sep 20 8:50 AM
Hi,

I went on the Unlock website and scrolled through the list of Home Insurers. I found Intelligent Insurance and proceeded to ask for a quote, disclosing what my unspent conviction was for etc.
Upon submitting my form, I was told I needed to ring the company which I did and was told that the Underwriters wanted more information. The info they were asking for was along these lines:

1. Can you explain in more detail why you committed these offences?
2. How long did you serve in prison? (I had already disclosed this on the application form).

At this point I now declined to answer any further questions since I felt it was nothing to do with them.

I was left upset that while they offer quotes for home insurance, that the Underwriters wanted more information and that the quote was liable to be changed once they made a decision.
I am still without Home Insurance and too scared to apply with any other company.

Can anyone suggest one that does not make me feel so wretched?

Hi

I was with SIS for about 5 years and only disclosed to the agent. I did find them more expensive - as they all are - and only moved as they do not cover campervans.

Worth a call as they were none critical

I inquired with them and was told they wouldn't offer cover. Best to get in first I find. "Hi before  we start may I ask if you are able to provide cover for people with unspent convictions?" If they say no or try to get more info from you first then just say " sorry to bother you thanks and bye" that way you've told them nothing. If they ask for a name I give them my first shortened name and no more, " if you are able to give me cover I'll be happy to give you all the details you need. If not ta ta.

Hi JASB, no problems,  nothing ventured ! and I didn't give any personal details, I have decided to wait and see what happens at renewal? To be honest I was more concerned why LV had taken this decision and if it was a foretaste of things to come. I guess I will never know?

I am very sorry you received such a response after I had recommended them.

Good luck in your 

Hi Jasb, no problems,  nothing ventured! I didn't handout any personal details. I was more concerned with why LV had taken this decision but I guess I'm never going to find out. I'm going to wait until renewal and see what happens
JASB
JASB
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
CC - 21 Sep 20 10:19 PM
Hi,

I went on the Unlock website and scrolled through the list of Home Insurers. I found Intelligent Insurance and proceeded to ask for a quote, disclosing what my unspent conviction was for etc.
Upon submitting my form, I was told I needed to ring the company which I did and was told that the Underwriters wanted more information. The info they were asking for was along these lines:

2. How long did you serve in prison? (I had already disclosed this on the application form).

At this point I now declined to answer any further questions since I felt it was nothing to do with them.

I was left upset that while they offer quotes for home insurance, that the Underwriters wanted more information and that the quote was liable to be changed once they made a decision.
I am still without Home Insurance and too scared to apply with any other company.

Hi

I was with SIS for about 5 years and only disclosed to the agent. I did find them more expensive - as they all are - and only moved as they do not cover campervans.

I inquired with them and was told they wouldn't offer cover. Best to get in first I find. "Hi before  we start may I ask if you are able to provide cover for people with unspent convictions?" If they say no or try to get more info from you first then just say " sorry to bother you thanks and bye" that way you've told them nothing. If they ask for a name I give them my first shortened name and no more, " if you are able to give me cover I'll be happy to give you all the details you need. If not ta ta.

Hi

I am very sorry you received such a response after I had recommended them.

Good luck in your search

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope is for tomorrow else what is left if you remove a mans hope.
CC
CC
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)

Hi,

Hi

JASB
JASB
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
Hi,

Hi

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope is for tomorrow else what is left if you remove a mans hope.
Greyfhaer
Greyfhaer
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (147 reputation)Supreme Being (147 reputation)Supreme Being (147 reputation)Supreme Being (147 reputation)Supreme Being (147 reputation)Supreme Being (147 reputation)Supreme Being (147 reputation)Supreme Being (147 reputation)Supreme Being (147 reputation)

Hi,

east72
east72
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)

CC - 19 Sep 20 9:06 PM
east72 - 18 Sep 20 9:14 PM
CC - 3 Sep 20 11:49 AM
Still no letter and getting them to answer the phone is not easy. I'm away on holiday now maybe when I get back  but I'm now beginning to doubt they will send anything. 

Hi CC

Still following this did a letter ever appear to help with clarification ? 

Sadly not, I had hopes it would but nothing.   I did send an email but they have not even responded to that. All parties I tried to just get an explanation from chose not to respond, rather rude but I am out of options. People with unspent convictions are fairgame for this I guess. I believe society is becoming more intolerant and judgemental and people who speak out against it are getting fewer. My offence happened over 16 years ago and I'm still being penalised for it.
I am unsure if its that they feel being associated with exoffenders is potentially bad for business ( a few of those spring to mind) or plain old intolerance and prejudice . 

That is just out of order when they told you on the phone it will be ok, Something needs to change as a 70 years old with an unspent conviction from 30 years before where is the risk for insurance ? 
CC
CC
Supreme Being

east72 - 18 Sep 20 9:14 PM
Still no letter and getting them to answer the phone is not easy. I'm away on holiday now maybe when I get back  but I'm now beginning to doubt they will send anything. 

Hi CC

Sadly not, I had hopes it would but nothing.   I did send an email but they have not even responded to that. All parties I tried to just get an explanation from chose not to respond, rather rude but I am out of options. People with unspent convictions are fairgame for this I guess. I believe society is becoming more intolerant and judgemental and people who speak out against it are getting fewer. My offence happened over 16 years ago and I'm still being penalised for it.
I am unsure if its that they feel being associated with exoffenders is potentially bad for business ( a few of those spring to mind) or plain old intolerance and prejudice . 

Edited
4 Years Ago by CC
east72
east72
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)

Hi CC

CC
CC
Supreme Being

When I spoke to Unlock on their help line they did say they would look into the reasons why this decision was taken.  I dont know if they got any further but would be interested to hear?
CC
CC
Supreme Being

GO