theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Home Insurance

Home Insurance

Author
CC
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
east72 - 21 Aug 20 4:10 PM
I for one took out a policy today with Mark at Brokers 2u and he from the start made me feel comfortable with what he asked and how he approached the question about convictions. I felt sick The thought of having to call companies explain over and over What I’ve done wrong when I done it etc. But mark made that process easier . He gave me a price which for me was obviously higher than main stream but still within my budget for this year. If you read this thank you mark and your team

Hi can I ask how Broker2U's prices compare with LV's just in general terms?  Are they loaded at all. My holiday home insurance I had to move from Intasure actually  came out cheaper with my new broker. Down from £252 to £191.
CC
CC
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)

east72 - 21 Aug 20 4:10 PM
I for one took out a policy today with Mark at Brokers 2u and he from the start made me feel comfortable with what he asked and how he approached the question about convictions. I felt sick The thought of having to call companies explain over and over What I’ve done wrong when I done it etc. But mark made that process easier . He gave me a price which for me was obviously higher than main stream but still within my budget for this year. If you read this thank you mark and your team

I'm so glad your sorted that must be a relief. Well done.
CC
CC
Supreme Being

Deb S - 21 Aug 20 3:23 PM
Hi All

This forum thread has seen a lot of activity recently and I know that the helpline has been taking calls from several people worried about renewing their home insurance policy, especially those of you who have policies with LV.

It has always been the case that many mainstream insurers do not offer insurance policies where individuals or members of their household have unspent convictions. Although there is no obligation to disclose unspent convictions to insurers, the majority now ask before they'll provide a quote or include a disclaimer in their small print.

If you (or somebody named on the policy) receives a conviction during the term of the policy then you will usually need to provide this information to the insurer at the time of renewal. This is the case, even if your policy is renewed automatically.

I'm surprised to hear that LV are stating o their renewal documents:

"Policy holders and anyone living in the property must not have any unspent convictions"

If  you receive a renewal notice such as this from LV and you've previously disclosed your unspent conviction, then it may be worth contacting them to find out whether this seemingly 'blanket ban' applies to you. If you've not previously disclosed then it may be worth trying elsewhere.

Unlock have a list of insurance brokers on their website who may be able to assist you.

We've also learnt today that one of the brokers on our list, Broker2U has set up a scheme specifically to help LV customers who have received renewal documents like the one highlighted above. Any LV customer looking for a quote should contact Mark or Deborah on 01245 226318.

Good luck everybody. Let us know how you get on.

Debs

I have spoken to Mark and I agree he is a really nice guy who is easy to talk to. I am awaiting a final confirmation  from LV and will post the outcome of that when I have it. I am also waiting for an email from another broker on the same subject. Again when I hear I will post. Would love to know the reasoning behind this though from both LV and Intasure. There must be something  going on.
Simon1983
Simon1983
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)

hi East72 

Glad to see you got is all sorted hope everything goes well 
east72
east72
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)

Debbie Sadler
Debbie Sadler
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)

Hi All

This forum thread has seen a lot of activity recently and I know that the helpline has been taking calls from several people worried about renewing their home insurance policy, especially those of you who have policies with LV.

It has always been the case that many mainstream insurers do not offer insurance policies where individuals or members of their household have unspent convictions. Although there is no obligation to disclose unspent convictions to insurers, the majority now ask before they'll provide a quote or include a disclaimer in their small print.

If you (or somebody named on the policy) receives a conviction during the term of the policy then you will usually need to provide this information to the insurer at the time of renewal. This is the case, even if your policy is renewed automatically.

I'm surprised to hear that LV are stating o their renewal documents:

"Policy holders and anyone living in the property must not have any unspent convictions"

If  you receive a renewal notice such as this from LV and you've previously disclosed your unspent conviction, then it may be worth contacting them to find out whether this seemingly 'blanket ban' applies to you. If you've not previously disclosed then it may be worth trying elsewhere.

Unlock have a list of insurance brokers on their website who may be able to assist you.

We've also learnt today that one of the brokers on our list, Broker2U has set up a scheme specifically to help LV customers who have received renewal documents like the one highlighted above. Any LV customer looking for a quote should contact Mark or Deborah on 01245 226318.

Good luck everybody. Let us know how you get on.

Debs

Need Unlocks advice? Visit our self-help information site or contact our helpline
CC
CC
Supreme Being

CC - 21 Aug 20 1:57 PM
east72 - 21 Aug 20 12:18 PM
Felling low trying to get sorted with insurance 😞

I have just got off the phone with LV they are insistent this is only on new policies existing policies remain unchanged I've asked them to confirm this via email they said they will get back to me within 48 hours I have spoken to another broker I use for my holiday home he foresees no difficulties in getting insurance for people with convictions again he's coming back to me on Monday.
As soon as I know I will post

I have to to say jlv front-line staff don't seem fully informed about their change of policy so I take anything they say with a little scepticism

These companies are probably going through a difficult time  with the coronavirus may be a lot of staff are working from home or still furloughed I still think there is good cause for optimism here
CC
CC
Supreme Being

I have just got off the phone with LV they are insistent this is only on new policies existing policies remain unchanged I've asked them to confirm this via email they said they will get back to me within 48 hours I have spoken to another broker I use for my holiday home he foresees no difficulties in getting insurance for people with convictions again he's coming back to me on Monday.

I have to to say jlv front-line staff don't seem fully informed about their change of policy so I take anything they say with a little scepticism
CC
CC
Supreme Being

east72
east72
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)

GO