theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Home Insurance

Home Insurance

Author
east72
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
I know it’s crazy how in a few hours we got different answers with all that’s going on you would have thought these insurance companies would want all the trade they can get..
CC
CC
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)

I don't like getting different answers so I have  emailed LV for clarification,  the first reply I had was a bit generic but wanted me to provide more details to which I have said I won't, I'm fairly confident  that I  can get insurance elsewhere  so won't be interested in jumping though LV's hoops. 
I'm more interested in why all of a sudden this has come about, I asked a broker today who said he hadn't heard of anything but Intasure and LV? Big coincidence that. 
east72
east72
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)

CC not good news im afraid just had call back from LV and they have said even with previous customer renewals you have to declare unspent convictions, she checked with two managers who both said no cover with unspent, no indication of why just  change in policy.. I gave no detail and only a contact number to call back which they don't have on system as its my work phone, i told her this was the fifth year of renewel ..

Would it be worth one of the Unlock team calling LV speak to a manager and explain people with unspent convictions are less likely to claim on an insurance policy as the last thing we want is to loose our insurance for something stupid like a missing bike. Also why they tell one person one thing any different to another, i did say that to the woman who said she was sorry but best to be sure ..
Edited
4 Years Ago by east72
east72
east72
Supreme Being

CC - 20 Aug 20 2:03 PM
Hi  east72, it seems it needs clarification from your end, let us know what happens. 
Debs you were right as usual. I rang Broker2U and spoke to Mark, a very nice non judgemental guy. I told him why I was ringing and asked the question  " can you offer home insurance to someone on the sor with an unspent conviction "  he said yes no problem.  There might be some restrictions dependant on the severity and how long ago the offence took place but on the whole he was quite confident that he could find an underwriter willing to offer cover.
Downloading he got all the time again no issues, only real issue was fraud convictions.
I told him of my rather historical offence ,he didn't foresee any ssues if I need cover in the future. He couldn't as a broker shed any light on why LV and Intasure had chaged their policies.

Just called lady on phone was really unsure, she said if a new conviction you only need to notify at renewel went to ask manager who is in meeting so has to call me back ...

CC
CC
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)

I've had two brokers today confident of providing me cover so if what LV told me turns out to be " less than accurate" its their loss. 
CC
CC
Supreme Being

east72 - 20 Aug 20 2:06 PM
Hi  east72, it seems it needs clarification from your end, let us know what happens. 
Debs you were right as usual. I rang Broker2U and spoke to Mark, a very nice non judgemental guy. I told him why I was ringing and asked the question  " can you offer home insurance to someone on the sor with an unspent conviction "  he said yes no problem.  There might be some restrictions dependant on the severity and how long ago the offence took place but on the whole he was quite confident that he could find an underwriter willing to offer cover.
Downloading he got all the time again no issues, only real issue was fraud convictions.

Did you give details when you called or just asked question ?

just asked anonymously I did however say I was a longstanding customer.  My renewal isnt due for months so I saw no point in specifics a lot could change by then and I'm satisfied I can get cover elsewhere now so not too bothered for myself personally. I hope you get sorted though.
Edited
4 Years Ago by CC
east72
east72
Supreme Being

Did you give details when you called or just asked question ?

CC
CC
Supreme Being

I told him of my rather historical offence ,he didn't foresee any ssues if I need cover in the future. He couldn't as a broker shed any light on why LV and Intasure had chaged their policies.
Edited
4 Years Ago by CC
east72
east72
Supreme Being

i must have asked the wrong questions as I asked about the note on my renewel and was told that’s standard now. Nothing was mentioned about  only for new customers. Well done I need to call them now to get confirmation too thank you did you give them your details or just question it with no policy number etc? below is what's on mine

25 years of owning a home and having insurance and never had to claim and now it comes to this, crazy the whole system needs a shake up, it really should be on the amount of claims you have that makes it hard to insure.. 

Edited
4 Years Ago by east72
CC
CC
Supreme Being

Back again. This morning I rang LV ins and asked them the question before I proceeded further. Their reply off the cuff 
was "that only applies to new policies" I asked the guy if he would mind confirming that (which he didnt) so after a couple of minutes on hold he came back and confirmed that it does in deed only apply to new policy applicants and I [being a long term ploicy holder] would not be affected. So a relieif for me but still not good news for others.
Prior to that I did a search on the internet for "Insurance for people with unspent criminal convictions" I was pleasantly suprised by the results. A lot of companies I had not even heard of before who specifically  cater for people with these issues.
So not as bleak as I feared last night and according to LV existing policy holders need not worry.

GO