theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Home Insurance

Home Insurance

Author
east72
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
CC - 16 Aug 20 9:58 PM
JASB - 16 Aug 20 4:36 PM
CC - 16 Aug 20 11:34 AM
jcdmcr - 15 Aug 20 4:34 PM
CC - 13 Aug 20 7:48 PM
I had an unpleasant  phone call today from Intasure who I have been with for years,  they cover my holiday lodge or rather did, today they telephoned to say they had changed their underwriters  who would not cover me from renewal (only two weeks away) I am now struggling to find an alternative insurer and if I don't soon will have to give up my place as insurance is mandatory.
Any ideas / suggestions  very welcome as my conviction remains unspent even though old.

Can you get the insurance in some elses name?

Hi, There is now a happy outcome to my issues as I have managed after spending a few days ringing around to get a good insurance policy and very competitive. The company I found didnt even need to know about my offence, they only exclude for fraud. The guy I dealt with was really nice and easy to talk to with no judgemental or predjudicial undertones. Amazingly cheaper than my policy from Intasure if you can believe it.
One thing I have to sadly include was I did try a few on Unlocks list with no luck at all, in fact ( and this was unpleasant) SIS who are listed as having no restrictions actually refused me because of the nature of my conviction outright, as in straight away without having to go and check?
So Im happy but also a little dispirited that after so many years of thinking its all behind me it can still rear itself again, that an unforseen change can cause the same issues as it did many years ago. If I can obtain competitive insurance with no loading or issues then the companies that do refuse or load are doing it for no other reason than plain old predudice plain and simple.
My Intasure policy was in the region of £252 my new policy is £190 just for comparison. The company even sent me an post completion of policy email thanking me for my new business. 
The company are www.insuremylodge.co.uk and the guys name is Nick Udall who is the broker, really nice chap.

Hi

I am surprised on your comments about SiS, are you happy to mention your offence or the name of the person you spoke to? To me as I mentioned, if a business accepts SO's it is normally fraud that causes issue.

Enough to say I'm on the register

Its really put the dampeners on my call list as SIS are brokers it was top of the list, maybe someone from SIS will reply here to confirm why ...
CC
CC
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)

JASB - 16 Aug 20 4:36 PM
I had an unpleasant  phone call today from Intasure who I have been with for years,  they cover my holiday lodge or rather did, today they telephoned to say they had changed their underwriters  who would not cover me from renewal (only two weeks away) I am now struggling to find an alternative insurer and if I don't soon will have to give up my place as insurance is mandatory.
Any ideas / suggestions  very welcome as my conviction remains unspent even though old.

Hi, There is now a happy outcome to my issues as I have managed after spending a few days ringing around to get a good insurance policy and very competitive. The company I found didnt even need to know about my offence, they only exclude for fraud. The guy I dealt with was really nice and easy to talk to with no judgemental or predjudicial undertones. Amazingly cheaper than my policy from Intasure if you can believe it.
One thing I have to sadly include was I did try a few on Unlocks list with no luck at all, in fact ( and this was unpleasant) SIS who are listed as having no restrictions actually refused me because of the nature of my conviction outright, as in straight away without having to go and check?
So Im happy but also a little dispirited that after so many years of thinking its all behind me it can still rear itself again, that an unforseen change can cause the same issues as it did many years ago. If I can obtain competitive insurance with no loading or issues then the companies that do refuse or load are doing it for no other reason than plain old predudice plain and simple.
My Intasure policy was in the region of £252 my new policy is £190 just for comparison. The company even sent me an post completion of policy email thanking me for my new business. 
The company are www.insuremylodge.co.uk and the guys name is Nick Udall who is the broker, really nice chap.

Hi

I am surprised on your comments about SiS, are you happy to mention your offence or the name of the person you spoke to? To me as I mentioned, if a business accepts SO's it is normally fraud that causes issue.

Enough to say I'm on the register
JASB
JASB
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (98K reputation)Supreme Being (98K reputation)Supreme Being (98K reputation)Supreme Being (98K reputation)Supreme Being (98K reputation)Supreme Being (98K reputation)Supreme Being (98K reputation)Supreme Being (98K reputation)Supreme Being (98K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation

Hi

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope is for tomorrow else what is left if you remove a mans hope.
JASB
JASB
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (98K reputation)Supreme Being (98K reputation)Supreme Being (98K reputation)Supreme Being (98K reputation)Supreme Being (98K reputation)Supreme Being (98K reputation)Supreme Being (98K reputation)Supreme Being (98K reputation)Supreme Being (98K reputation)

Hi

nice idea but if they are not the main person in the residence may raise issues further along the line.

As i mentioned I nearly purchased a flat (leasehold) but the issue was with the insurance held by the freeholder as it had a clause asking for information about any convictions held by leaseholders. If I denied then a claim on the insurance happened then ... you know where that is going.

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope is for tomorrow else what is left if you remove a mans hope.
east72
east72
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)

Thats really good news that you managed to get sorted, Its a Shame about SIS as it was on my list to call but will cross that one off ...
CC
CC
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)

Edited
4 Years Ago by CC
J J
J J
Supreme Being

JASB
JASB
Supreme Being

east72 - 14 Aug 20 8:37 PM
HiNo it was no fraud , it’s home insurance I’m after not motoring. I have seen that LV are good for motor but no longer for home. They asked when I first took insurance with them had I got any convictions under 5 yrs old which I did not so that was fine but they seem to have changed the wording ...

Hi

try SIS, they are in the list created by unlock, Mike Boland.

east72
east72
Supreme Being

Hi

No it was no fraud , it’s home insurance I’m after not motoring. I have seen that LV are good for motor but no longer for home. They asked when I first took insurance with them had I got any convictions under 5 yrs old which I did not so that was fine but they seem to have changed the wording ...
Was
Was
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)

Be careful about comparison sites. Only use them anonymously. Because some of the insurers they quote for ask "the question" they usually ask up front when you register as a "we ask all the questions so you don't have to resubmit". Not all companies ask the question. You only have to answer if asked, so avoid those that ask!
GO