theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

I was wrongfully arrested and had my items seized- What now?

I was wrongfully arrested and had my items seized- What now?

Author
xDanx
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Chesire - 23 Dec 21 7:08 PM
xDanx - 23 Dec 21 11:57 AM
Chesire - 23 Dec 21 11:05 AM
xDanx - 22 Dec 21 8:06 PM
Chesire - 22 Dec 21 7:24 PM
punter99 - 21 Dec 21 5:27 PM
I don't want to sound unsympathetic, but neither the police, or your solicitor, will be particularly concerned about how the investigation is affecting your mental health. That is because there is nothing unusual, about having to wait years, for the justice system to resolve a case. They see it every day, with every person that is accused. The CPS and the court system are overloaded with cases, waiting to come to court. That's just the way it is. There is nothing you can do, to speed things up. It isn't the fault of your solicitor, or the police, that things take so long. It is down to chronic underfunding of the system, over many years. You could try complaining to your MP, although I doubt that would speed things up either.

If you are on police bail, then you are subject to some restrictions on your life, but if you were RUI (released under investigation), then you are a free man, so try to live a normal life. That of course, is easier said than done. The police advised me to carry on as usual, not to quit my job or anything. I had a holiday booked and I asked the police if I could still go abroad. They said no problem. I could have got on a plane and disappeared from the UK, never to return.

If you need mental health support, then speak to a GP. I was on anti depressants and going to therapy, all the time I was RUI, which helped. Plus you have family members to support you. I can understand why you might not want to go out, if other people know that you have been arrested, although it is unlikely that this information will have been passed to the media. That only happens after you have been to court. Most important, remember that you are innocent until proven guilty, so you have nothing to be ashamed off.

When it comes to wrongful or unlawful arrest, and suing the police for abusing their powers, bear in mind that the police are allowed to arrest you, if they have reasonable suspicion. If they later decide not to charge you, then it was still a lawful arrest, provided they can demonstrate they had enough evidence for a reasonable suspicion.

This means they think they already have some kind of evidence, for them pick on you. They need a much greater amount of evidence to charge you though, and often when they seize people's devices, a lot of the time they are on a fishing expedition. They are hoping it will turn up more evidence. You don't say if you have been interviewed or not, but the questions that the police ask, will give you an indication of what evidence they have for reasonable suspicion.

They will look for things like a possible connection to the victim. Do you know the victim, or have you previously been in contact with them, for example. When it comes to your internet browsing history, that is almost seen as a window into someone's mind, so the police will be searching for anything linking you to the victim, such as visiting their social media pages.

I understand what you mean, currently on RUI, no info as to whether or not a charge is to be made hasn't been provided to me. I've been RUI since July of this year, I don't know how long it will take for them to make a decision or how long it has taken them to examine my devices such as phone and laptop, or do you think they've already examined them by now? They've had my devices since April. I haven't been interviewed again. Do you think they'll look through everything since beginning of time on phone and laptop or just bits and pieces?

The officer who arrested me informed me a few months after that my devices were in the process of being looked at, then a week or so later called to inform me ALL devices tested positive. I told him that was impossible and demanded he detailed what was found and where, the response I got was "I can not tell you" and he hung up on me. I informed my solicitor of this protesting the claims ALL devices tested positive yet he done nothing about it.

Police in all regions work differently to others, so there is no guarantee they will inspect your devices in the next few months or over all of next year. But when they do finally get round to it they will inform you if they found anything or not.

Seeing as you are not under any form of restrictions, try and live your life as normal as possible until they contact you. Document everything you are told / record if possible (even your solicitor)

So really, the moment they find something they told you immediately so it seems. In the circumstances of them investigating things of sexual nature involving children then I'd assume it would be top priority to them?

Police will prioritize what gives them the best results, whether they inform you or not is really all down to the officers mood and personality. I would think if anything was found they would inform you right away, but would happily delay informing you and prolonging the return of your devices when they find nothing.

I do hope though this will get resolved for you quickly and the return of your devices, being dragged through the broken justice system we have is not a nice experience.

I've just recieved good news 3hrs ago I just got an email from my solicitor, she told me police decided not to charge me. NFA.

This is great news, Any word on if you will be getting your devices back soon or still unclear?

Chesire
Chesire
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (4K reputation)Supreme Being (4K reputation)Supreme Being (4K reputation)Supreme Being (4K reputation)Supreme Being (4K reputation)Supreme Being (4K reputation)Supreme Being (4K reputation)Supreme Being (4K reputation)Supreme Being (4K reputation)

xDanx - 23 Dec 21 9:30 PM
I don't want to sound unsympathetic, but neither the police, or your solicitor, will be particularly concerned about how the investigation is affecting your mental health. That is because there is nothing unusual, about having to wait years, for the justice system to resolve a case. They see it every day, with every person that is accused. The CPS and the court system are overloaded with cases, waiting to come to court. That's just the way it is. There is nothing you can do, to speed things up. It isn't the fault of your solicitor, or the police, that things take so long. It is down to chronic underfunding of the system, over many years. You could try complaining to your MP, although I doubt that would speed things up either.

If you are on police bail, then you are subject to some restrictions on your life, but if you were RUI (released under investigation), then you are a free man, so try to live a normal life. That of course, is easier said than done. The police advised me to carry on as usual, not to quit my job or anything. I had a holiday booked and I asked the police if I could still go abroad. They said no problem. I could have got on a plane and disappeared from the UK, never to return.

If you need mental health support, then speak to a GP. I was on anti depressants and going to therapy, all the time I was RUI, which helped. Plus you have family members to support you. I can understand why you might not want to go out, if other people know that you have been arrested, although it is unlikely that this information will have been passed to the media. That only happens after you have been to court. Most important, remember that you are innocent until proven guilty, so you have nothing to be ashamed off.

When it comes to wrongful or unlawful arrest, and suing the police for abusing their powers, bear in mind that the police are allowed to arrest you, if they have reasonable suspicion. If they later decide not to charge you, then it was still a lawful arrest, provided they can demonstrate they had enough evidence for a reasonable suspicion.

This means they think they already have some kind of evidence, for them pick on you. They need a much greater amount of evidence to charge you though, and often when they seize people's devices, a lot of the time they are on a fishing expedition. They are hoping it will turn up more evidence. You don't say if you have been interviewed or not, but the questions that the police ask, will give you an indication of what evidence they have for reasonable suspicion.

They will look for things like a possible connection to the victim. Do you know the victim, or have you previously been in contact with them, for example. When it comes to your internet browsing history, that is almost seen as a window into someone's mind, so the police will be searching for anything linking you to the victim, such as visiting their social media pages.

I understand what you mean, currently on RUI, no info as to whether or not a charge is to be made hasn't been provided to me. I've been RUI since July of this year, I don't know how long it will take for them to make a decision or how long it has taken them to examine my devices such as phone and laptop, or do you think they've already examined them by now? They've had my devices since April. I haven't been interviewed again. Do you think they'll look through everything since beginning of time on phone and laptop or just bits and pieces?

The officer who arrested me informed me a few months after that my devices were in the process of being looked at, then a week or so later called to inform me ALL devices tested positive. I told him that was impossible and demanded he detailed what was found and where, the response I got was "I can not tell you" and he hung up on me. I informed my solicitor of this protesting the claims ALL devices tested positive yet he done nothing about it.

Police in all regions work differently to others, so there is no guarantee they will inspect your devices in the next few months or over all of next year. But when they do finally get round to it they will inform you if they found anything or not.

Seeing as you are not under any form of restrictions, try and live your life as normal as possible until they contact you. Document everything you are told / record if possible (even your solicitor)

So really, the moment they find something they told you immediately so it seems. In the circumstances of them investigating things of sexual nature involving children then I'd assume it would be top priority to them?

Police will prioritize what gives them the best results, whether they inform you or not is really all down to the officers mood and personality. I would think if anything was found they would inform you right away, but would happily delay informing you and prolonging the return of your devices when they find nothing.

I do hope though this will get resolved for you quickly and the return of your devices, being dragged through the broken justice system we have is not a nice experience.

I've just recieved good news 3hrs ago I just got an email from my solicitor, she told me police decided not to charge me. NFA.

This is great news, Any word on if you will be getting your devices back soon or still unclear?

Solicitor said that officer in charge of case would send a letter and phone me to arrange a date for return of my property.
JASB
JASB
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
Chesire - 23 Dec 21 10:45 PM

Solicitor said that officer in charge of case would send a letter and phone me to arrange a date for return of my property.

Hi
Mine was not an internet offence yet they still took everything and it was a year later I got it back. However during that time they did let me have a backup of my data from my laptop.
My disappointment was they did all this but would not go to my mobile phone service provider to get copies of "blackmail" text messages sent to me; even though I had given them the date, times, name and number of the sender!

Understanding the processes and / or logic of an investigation is hindered due to an agenda of imposing psychological pressure on someone suspected / accused of an offence. 

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope is for tomorrow else what is left if you remove a mans hope.
Chesire
Chesire
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (4K reputation)Supreme Being (4K reputation)Supreme Being (4K reputation)Supreme Being (4K reputation)Supreme Being (4K reputation)Supreme Being (4K reputation)Supreme Being (4K reputation)Supreme Being (4K reputation)Supreme Being (4K reputation)

JASB - 31 Dec 21 2:28 PM

Hi
Mine was not an internet offence yet they still took everything and it was a year later I got it back. However during that time they did let me have a backup of my data from my laptop.
My disappointment was they did all this but would not go to my mobile phone service provider to get copies of "blackmail" text messages sent to me; even though I had given them the date, times, name and number of the sender!

Understanding the processes and / or logic of an investigation is hindered due to an agenda of imposing psychological pressure on someone suspected / accused of an offence. 

Well so far haven't recieved any letter yet, no phone call, nothing.

punter99
punter99
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (53K reputation)Supreme Being (53K reputation)Supreme Being (53K reputation)Supreme Being (53K reputation)Supreme Being (53K reputation)Supreme Being (53K reputation)Supreme Being (53K reputation)Supreme Being (53K reputation)Supreme Being (53K reputation)

Chesire - 10 Jan 22 1:07 AM

Hi

I did say previously, that it take a few months at least and that you would have to chase them up a few times. Don't forget to ask them to remove your DNA and fingerprints from their computer system as well.
Chesire
Chesire
Supreme Being

punter99 - 10 Jan 22 10:41 AM

Hi

I did say previously, that it take a few months at least and that you would have to chase them up a few times. Don't forget to ask them to remove your DNA and fingerprints from their computer system as well.

I just sent an email to my solicitor to chase them up on it
Chesire
Chesire
Supreme Being

Chesire - 14 Jan 22 4:10 AM

Hi

Got no reply, been ignored by both parties, may have to try calling them via phone and if that doesn't work then I'm going to sue them both.
JASB
JASB
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
Chesire - 16 Jan 22 5:09 AM

Hi

Got no reply, been ignored by both parties, may have to try calling them via phone and if that doesn't work then I'm going to sue them both.

Hi
Bit of advice if I may.
I have written previously that the best info I read when "entering the Justice System", is to forget about time as you appreciate it.
Your solicitors have probably downgraded their attention with you as they see no or limited further financial gains from you. Plus they do like to keep friendly with the Police so why should they cause issues.
The system, why would they rush? My passport was taken by the Met Police but was ordered by a Judge to return it. They ignored this order until I wrote to the Judge repeatedly; bypassing my solicitor, and he ordered them again or answer back to him. The reply from the Met Police was that they had lost it; even though they declared they had it a couple of weeks previously. It's called "deniable revenge". 

I would consider bypassing your solicitor; especially if you have no further use of him, and write to the Police Commissioner explaining clearly and simply attaching copies of you solicitors letters.

Good luck

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope is for tomorrow else what is left if you remove a mans hope.
Chesire
Chesire
Supreme Being

JASB - 16 Jan 22 10:54 AM

Hi

Hi
Bit of advice if I may.
I have written previously that the best info I read when "entering the Justice System", is to forget about time as you appreciate it.
Your solicitors have probably downgraded their attention with you as they see no or limited further financial gains from you. Plus they do like to keep friendly with the Police so why should they cause issues.
The system, why would they rush? My passport was taken by the Met Police but was ordered by a Judge to return it. They ignored this order until I wrote to the Judge repeatedly; bypassing my solicitor, and he ordered them again or answer back to him. The reply from the Met Police was that they had lost it; even though they declared they had it a couple of weeks previously. It's called "deniable revenge". 

I would consider bypassing your solicitor; especially if you have no further use of him, and write to the Police Commissioner explaining clearly and simply attaching copies of you solicitors letters.

Good luck

I've attempted to contact both parties involved, the solicitor and the OIC.
Officer in charge gave excuses for not sending a NFA letter and said it was because of data protection, I think it's just laziness on their part. When I questioned them about why they didn't call and leave a message on the landline they said it was because of data protection and didn't want my family who live with me to listen in to my conversation which I think is ironic and laughable since they're the same officer that listened in with their friend in conversations with me, my Dad and my solicitor when they weren't supposed to at all.

punter99
punter99
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (53K reputation)Supreme Being (53K reputation)Supreme Being (53K reputation)Supreme Being (53K reputation)Supreme Being (53K reputation)Supreme Being (53K reputation)Supreme Being (53K reputation)Supreme Being (53K reputation)Supreme Being (53K reputation)

Chesire - 17 Jan 22 9:52 AM
JASB - 16 Jan 22 10:54 AM

Hi

Hi
Bit of advice if I may.

Good luck

I've attempted to contact both parties involved, the solicitor and the OIC.
Officer in charge gave excuses for not sending a NFA letter and said it was because of data protection, I think it's just laziness on their part. When I questioned them about why they didn't call and leave a message on the landline they said it was because of data protection and didn't want my family who live with me to listen in to my conversation which I think is ironic and laughable since they're the same officer that listened in with their friend in conversations with me, my Dad and my solicitor when they weren't supposed to at all.

Leaving a message on an answering machine could potentially be a breach, because they do not know who might pick it up. As for letters, it is the OICs choice whether to send one or not.

https://beta.northumbria.police.uk/about-us/publications-and-documents/accessing-information/disclosure-log/policy-and-procedure/nfa-procedure-following-arrest-127620/

GO