theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Lets List Countries That Refuse Entry to people with a SOR

Lets List Countries That Refuse Entry to people with a SOR

Author
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Harry53 - 28 Oct 19 8:57 PM
Normallife - 2 Mar 18 10:39 PM
Ultimately most countries don't ask about past convictions at all. It's mostly the English speaking countries- USA, Australia, Canada, New Zealand which will ask and they would most likely deny you entry. However when going to countries which don't ask, the only way those countries can find out is if your PPU have placed a green notice on your passport. So when they scan it your conviction details will show up and then they will most likely deny you entry. 

Travelling to the EU is another matter- you have the legal right to travel and even reside in any of the EU countries (whilst we're still in the EU). 

What I find annoying and somewhat against my Human Rights, is that whenever I go through passport control in Europe something gets flagged up on the officers screen. 

Is it not my right to know what it says? Same for any Green Card issued , I feel it is my right to be informed that it has been issued so that I can be prepared or even given the choice not to travel, knowing there is a high chance of refusal.
I just think it is totally unfair that whatever is connected to my passport is hidden from me.

The other gripe I have s that my offence was an internet one and not a contact sexual offence, but I get the feeling that whatever the offers see, may make them think I am a serious sex offenders. It is not a nice feeling

Well, the Supreme Court ruled last year that public protection outweighs an individual's human rights, so no joy there. Sad As the prevention and detection of crime is a standard exclusion from data protection law, they won't tell you what they're doing, even when there's no real risk of a crime being committed. The general public don't see any difference between the different offences, other than a few details. Regardless of how you see the situation, they see the offenders themselves as all being the same.

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

Harry
Harry
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)

Normallife - 2 Mar 18 10:39 PM
Ultimately most countries don't ask about past convictions at all. It's mostly the English speaking countries- USA, Australia, Canada, New Zealand which will ask and they would most likely deny you entry. However when going to countries which don't ask, the only way those countries can find out is if your PPU have placed a green notice on your passport. So when they scan it your conviction details will show up and then they will most likely deny you entry. 

Travelling to the EU is another matter- you have the legal right to travel and even reside in any of the EU countries (whilst we're still in the EU). 

What I find annoying and somewhat against my Human Rights, is that whenever I go through passport control in Europe something gets flagged up on the officers screen. 

Is it not my right to know what it says? Same for any Green Card issued , I feel it is my right to be informed that it has been issued so that I can be prepared or even given the choice not to travel, knowing there is a high chance of refusal.
I just think it is totally unfair that whatever is connected to my passport is hidden from me.

The other gripe I have s that my offence was an internet one and not a contact sexual offence, but I get the feeling that whatever the offers see, may make them think I am a serious sex offenders. It is not a nice feeling
AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)

Yankee - 30 Sep 19 9:01 AM
Harry53 - 28 Sep 19 4:57 PM
Harry53 - 26 Feb 18 4:06 PM
Yankee - 21 Feb 18 9:09 PM
Harry53 - 19 Feb 18 5:00 PM
(SOR = Sexual offenders register)
I am writing from the UK and I have a 10 year SOR.
One spin off from this is the restriction of travel. So I thought why don't we all build a listings of countries that are quite rightly protecting children from abusers. I will start the list off but please add to it. Some cojuntries are obvious but others like Japan may still ask the question which pose problems. I want to hear from anyone who has in the last year, known of any problems gaining entry to countries, or that have refused entry. 

There seems to be no listing that is up-to-date, so I thought this would be useful.

For example, I was told that Indonesia was ok to visit, but on posting on an expats forum, it seems most likely not. So here goes....countries I am 95% sure will refuse entry to anyone on the SOR:
1  THAILAND
2  INDIA
3  SRI LANKA
4  PHILIPPINES
5  MALAYSIA
6  CAMBODIA
7  INDONESIA
8  VIETNAM
9  SINGAPORE

Some countries like NEW ZEALAND ask if you have ever been refused entry to a country, which means it is best to apply for a visa and disclose details.

Please add to this list as having experienced being refused entry into the Philippines just 8 weeks after visiting, I feel it is of the utmost importance to do research before booking a flight or holiday. To be turned away is the most stressful and embarrassing experience in my entire life. Do NOT LET IT HAPPEN TO YOU.

Harry - its not that simple and you have to look at several variables.

1. Does the country allow entry simply because there are no visa requirements for a 'serious criminal offence' i.e. you don't have to lie on any form?
2. Does the country have an entry card / visa requirement to declare but would have no way of finding out if you were inclined to be less than truthful.
3. How does the PPU assess your risk and therefore the likelihood or otherwise that they will issue an Interpol green notice if you travel
4. If a green notice is issued, does the particular country check and update their own information systems or it just goes into a black hole
5. For low risk and no green notice issued, is your information still shared with the other country (e.g. FCC agreements or embassy to embassy)

To be honest I have no idea what country filters out information on passports and that's the problem. Lie and you can be caught which is embarrassing, or don't delay it as they don't ask, then find that it comes to light at passport control.
The PPU know I am no risk to anyone so I am told by them that it is their duty to inform Interpol of my travel arrangements, as they did just weeks after I had visited my BF.
As for your other questions I want the answers to those as well. I really feel it is an injustice to not inform anyone with a criminal record as to where they can go and how our data is stored. 

Sorry to keep this thread alive but just back from Barcelona from the UK. On arrival I get asked many questions about my visit and then again on my exit. It really ruins my mood and I cannot understand why this happens. When I arrived back in the UK I asked the immigration officer what is on my passport and he says nothing. So bring on a SOR, I can only imagine someone in the police are making their job to make my life uncomfortable . It is beyond me as to why they (I guess) inform countries that i travel to. I had an internet offence. Thats it . No contact, and I never killed anyone - but I get treated like this. 

In your opinion is it only because the Police send notices to my travelling countries? 

If you are travelling to another EU country, you will be flagged automatically - the UK police raise an alert on the Schengen Information System (SISII) for anyone who notifies.  This is meant to be a discreet check, it does not prevent you travelling or entering/leaving the country. There are other threads on the forum and other posts on this topic where members have described their personal experiences - in summary, it varies significantly depending upon country, airport and whether the immigration officer has seen a similar alert before and knows what to do... Your experience in Barcelona is par for the course unfortunately.

The check on returning is not rare, either. It's not personal, though, and it does confirm your return to the police so you don't have to do it.

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

Yankee
Yankee
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)

Harry53 - 28 Sep 19 4:57 PM
One spin off from this is the restriction of travel. So I thought why don't we all build a listings of countries that are quite rightly protecting children from abusers. I will start the list off but please add to it. Some cojuntries are obvious but others like Japan may still ask the question which pose problems. I want to hear from anyone who has in the last year, known of any problems gaining entry to countries, or that have refused entry. 

There seems to be no listing that is up-to-date, so I thought this would be useful.

For example, I was told that Indonesia was ok to visit, but on posting on an expats forum, it seems most likely not. So here goes....countries I am 95% sure will refuse entry to anyone on the SOR:
1  THAILAND
2  INDIA
3  SRI LANKA
4  PHILIPPINES
5  MALAYSIA
6  CAMBODIA
7  INDONESIA
8  VIETNAM
9  SINGAPORE

Some countries like NEW ZEALAND ask if you have ever been refused entry to a country, which means it is best to apply for a visa and disclose details.

Please add to this list as having experienced being refused entry into the Philippines just 8 weeks after visiting, I feel it is of the utmost importance to do research before booking a flight or holiday. To be turned away is the most stressful and embarrassing experience in my entire life. Do NOT LET IT HAPPEN TO YOU.

1. Does the country allow entry simply because there are no visa requirements for a 'serious criminal offence' i.e. you don't have to lie on any form?
2. Does the country have an entry card / visa requirement to declare but would have no way of finding out if you were inclined to be less than truthful.
3. How does the PPU assess your risk and therefore the likelihood or otherwise that they will issue an Interpol green notice if you travel
4. If a green notice is issued, does the particular country check and update their own information systems or it just goes into a black hole
5. For low risk and no green notice issued, is your information still shared with the other country (e.g. FCC agreements or embassy to embassy)

To be honest I have no idea what country filters out information on passports and that's the problem. Lie and you can be caught which is embarrassing, or don't delay it as they don't ask, then find that it comes to light at passport control.
The PPU know I am no risk to anyone so I am told by them that it is their duty to inform Interpol of my travel arrangements, as they did just weeks after I had visited my BF.
As for your other questions I want the answers to those as well. I really feel it is an injustice to not inform anyone with a criminal record as to where they can go and how our data is stored. 

Sorry to keep this thread alive but just back from Barcelona from the UK. On arrival I get asked many questions about my visit and then again on my exit. It really ruins my mood and I cannot understand why this happens. When I arrived back in the UK I asked the immigration officer what is on my passport and he says nothing. So bring on a SOR, I can only imagine someone in the police are making their job to make my life uncomfortable . It is beyond me as to why they (I guess) inform countries that i travel to. I had an internet offence. Thats it . No contact, and I never killed anyone - but I get treated like this. 

In your opinion is it only because the Police send notices to my travelling countries? 

If you are travelling to another EU country, you will be flagged automatically - the UK police raise an alert on the Schengen Information System (SISII) for anyone who notifies.  This is meant to be a discreet check, it does not prevent you travelling or entering/leaving the country. There are other threads on the forum and other posts on this topic where members have described their personal experiences - in summary, it varies significantly depending upon country, airport and whether the immigration officer has seen a similar alert before and knows what to do... Your experience in Barcelona is par for the course unfortunately.
Harry
Harry
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)

1  THAILAND
2  INDIA
3  SRI LANKA
4  PHILIPPINES
5  MALAYSIA
6  CAMBODIA
7  INDONESIA
8  VIETNAM
9  SINGAPORE

RMUK
RMUK
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (3.4K reputation)Supreme Being (3.4K reputation)Supreme Being (3.4K reputation)Supreme Being (3.4K reputation)Supreme Being (3.4K reputation)Supreme Being (3.4K reputation)Supreme Being (3.4K reputation)Supreme Being (3.4K reputation)Supreme Being (3.4K reputation)

I got into Dominican Republic with absolutely no issues - see my update on the other thread for anyone planning to go there:
https://forum.unlock.org.uk/Topic11221.aspx

RMUK
RMUK
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (3.4K reputation)Supreme Being (3.4K reputation)Supreme Being (3.4K reputation)Supreme Being (3.4K reputation)Supreme Being (3.4K reputation)Supreme Being (3.4K reputation)Supreme Being (3.4K reputation)Supreme Being (3.4K reputation)Supreme Being (3.4K reputation)

JASB - 19 Jul 19 11:26 AM
Hi
If you have a sex offence and declare you are going to any high risk area then the Police will stop you.

To me it has nothing to do with any evidence "against you" or "for you" it is Britain wanting to be seen as "the world's leader" against sex offenders.
They do not believe in rehabilitation, but do believe in stopping any form of social/quality of life as they believe that increases the percentage chances of you offending else creating a scenario for you to make a mistake and so can be locked up again; where they want to put all offenders but especially sex offenders.

Remember society and the politicians do not believe in rehabilitation of  sex offenders or in the term "Ex-Sex Offender.

What do you classify as a "high risk area"? 
Monkos
Monkos
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)

AB2014 - 6 Aug 19 8:54 AM
Monkos - 5 Aug 19 5:01 PM
More bad advice on this thread, no one at Unlock bothering to correct it either. If in doubt, get a lawyer. Even for people on the SOR, there is very little the police can do to interfere with your travel.

Which is the advice that you think is bad, and when did you inform Unlock to tell them that and ask them to correct it?

Months ago, but they don't give a shit.
AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being

Monkos - 5 Aug 19 5:01 PM
More bad advice on this thread, no one at Unlock bothering to correct it either. If in doubt, get a lawyer. Even for people on the SOR, there is very little the police can do to interfere with your travel.

Which is the advice that you think is bad, and when did you inform Unlock to tell them that and ask them to correct it?

Monkos
Monkos
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)

GO